Corsair Community

[Fix] High CPU Usage of iCue 3.3.103!

solarity

Please note a hotfix was released! At the time of this post, it is only downloadable via the Corsair website:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

Note "Temp fix" is now "depreciated!" Keeping below information here for archive purposes! Please downloaded from website or via iCue if available!

Issue [Archived]:

iCue Prior to updating: 1-3% CPU Usage

iCue After Updating: ~28% CPU Usage on a 8600k @ 5Ghz

Reproducible: Yes

Some devices lighting effects cause higher than normal CPU utilization.

Diagnostics:

Going to task manager shows higher CPU usage for the "iCUE (32bit)" process. Tested iCue devices are 2xLNP and a K70 Lux keyboard.

A list of fixes for some devices are listed at the bottom.

1) Disable Demo mode: Settings=> General tab => (Check) "Show only connected devices"

Demo mode isn't the issue, but the void wireless demo has the same problem as a real void wireless headset. I was able to determine it was the void wireless headset demo as I removed each XML demo profile and the only one that caused the high CPU utilization, was the C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices\profile_demo_void_pro_wireless.xml file. I moved it to a backup location and demo mode functions w/o the high CPU usage as the Void Pro Wireless is no longer there. I had to restart iCue every time I moved a XML profile.

2) If you are still having issues with after #1, try disabling lighting effects on different devices. For some devices you will need to set the "Lighting Effects" drop down to "SELECTED EFFECT". Try first devices that match known problematic devices or devices that are not confirmed as working. It appears that issue is only effected for the active profile. So you don't need to remove all the lighting effects for all the profiles, just the active one. I recommend the creation of a test profile and keep it at as the top profile so the system will default to it. (Thank you DevBiker)

Resolution:

1a) Disabling Settings=> General tab => (Check) "Show only connected devices"

1b) Click "Void Wireless" demo headset => click "Lighting Effects" ==> select "SELECTED EFFECT" from drop down

Result: CPU Usage dropped down to 1-3% usage for Corsair's iCue processes. I have tested this multiple times, every time I unchecked "Show only connected devices", the CPU immediately jumps ~25%. I even tried a reboot and I am still able to reproduce the fix and the problem. One user required a reboot to fix it this way.

2) Keep lighting effects on disable on problematic devices for active profile. You can create a test profile, in any case keep this profile on top so the tool defaults to it.

3) This will prevent the device from being controlled via iCUE! Solution #2 will allow for non-RGB features to work as well as lower the CPU's utilization for iCUE. Only if 1 and 2 doesn't work: Move/Rename the XML profile for the affected device to a different location/name. Application restart required, reboot may be required for some users. Do NOT move/rename any other files, only files of devices you have one at a time. Do NOT delete them, if needed, put them a directory where they are safe/backed up! Things can go wrong, and attempt only at your own risk!!!! This fixes the CPU issue for V2 AIOs/coolers.

4) Only if 1, 2, & 3 doesn't work: Unplugging effected devices from USB header might also help, though I would confirm that the device doesn't require a USB connection to function.

5) Uninstall and install an earlier version of iCue. Please note if you have many complex profiles, you will be unable to import them from the newer version to the older version. Link provided below.

Conclusion:

This is an issue of high concern and I would like to help Corsair resolve this issue ASAP! This might be more wide spread as I only have 2xLNP and a K70 I am unable to do further testing on other headsets, wireless devices, AIOs, and etc. as I am limited to the devices I own. If anyone can report issues with any of their other devices, please speak up. If we can narrow it down, it can help them fix it quicker. Though do note it might not be fixed as quick as some may want. These are possible temp solutions, though bear in mind this is beta, if we all apply these "fixes" it might prevent the dev team from gather the needed data to make a permanent fix. As this bug effects people different and we all use iCue in different ways it will be up to you to figure out the following:

1. Will these workarounds suffice for you?
  2. Should you down grade to an older version of iCue? 3.2.87: http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/CUE/CorsairUtilityEngineSetup_3.2.87_release.msi
  3. Should you revert to CUE and Link? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/downloads

TL;DR; I am pretty sure that most people with a similar setup as me will fix the issue, so long as they disable demo devices from appearing. Some devices may cause higher CPU usage. More tests are needed.

Confirmed Working Devices

• Lighting Node Pro w/ any attached device
  • Commander Pro w/ any attached device
  • K70 Keyboards
  • K95 Keyboards
  • No reported problems with any keyboards as of yet
  • MM800
  • Glaive Mouse
  • ST100

Confirmed Problematic Devices

• Void Pro Wireless headset *Requires Fix #2
  • HXXXi V2 AIO/coolers. *Requires Fix #3
  • Dark Core Wireless Mouse *Requires Fix #2
  • RGB RAM *Requires Fix #2

Require Further Testing

• Various iCue attached AIOs (Liquid Coolers)
  • Various iCue attached Headsets
  • Various iCue attached wireless devices (including mice)

Disclaimer: Information provided by a community member and given without any warranty or guarantee. Attempt at your own risk!

Edited by solarity
  • Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hum, that is interesting.. Can you repeat this after a reboot?

I rebooted and tried it and was able to reproduce the issue and the fix. I also did some further research and I have another fix with demo's enabled:

Move file to back up location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices\profile_demo_void_pro_wireless.xml

When I removed all the other profile_demo*.xml files it fixed the issue. I was able to add all the other xml files back and restart iCue w/o an issue. Only when I added profile_demo_void_pro_wireless.xml back in and start iCue did I have the issue again.

Hmmm ... was checked on both of my systems. Unchecked. Did nothing. checked it again. Did nothing.

There might be some other variables. You mentioned in discord you have the void pro wireless on one system. I can't explain why it didn't work for the other system. I am just calling it as I see it. Would like to see if anyone else can produce the fix that had the same issue as me.

So ... I removed all of the demo devices ... interestingly, it seems to have helped by a couple of % points.

Removing and reconnecting the Void Pro Wireless helped temporarily. But, alas, it wasn't to persist.

Minimizing the window still helps a little too.

For me I always only have my connected devices (Glaive RGB, K95 Platinum, MM800 and CoPro) shown without the demo devices and I always only had 1-3% CPU Usage. Same with the new 3.3 version.

BUT as soon as I enable the demo devices I get up to 19% CPU usage. So for me the demo devices make a HUGE performance impact on my CPU.

But anyway I dont need demo devices showing in iCUE so therefore I just disable them in the settings end voila, back to 1-3% :)

I have only Dark CORE RGB SE wireless mouse in system and iCUE gets 17-18% CPU (7700K@5Ghz) load and doesn't react on toggling demo mode.

I was wondering about that device.

1) Could you first restart windows and see if that fixes it. One person reported that disabling demo, then restarting windows fixed it for them.

2) If that doesn't work try moving the XML profile for the dark core device to your desktop or another location and restart windows and test that. Make sure you don't delete the profile, just keep it some where else for testing.

I was wondering about that device.

1) Could you first restart windows and see if that fixes it. One person reported that disabling demo, then restarting windows fixed it for them.

2) If that doesn't work try moving the XML profile for the dark core device to your desktop or another location and restart windows and test that. Make sure you don't delete the profile, just keep it some where else for testing.

1. Yes, i tried restarting PC and it doesn't helped.

2. When i unplug Dark Core receiver then iCUE CPU load immediately drops to 0-1%.

3. If i removes XML profiles related to Dark Core and start iCUE it (as we can expect after step 2) doesn't load CPU

UPD:

This bug is related to lighting. Disabling lighting effects (deleting all effects in lighting tab) helps with Dark Core RGB SE.

Edited by Syberon
  • Like 1

1. Yes, i tried restarting PC and it doesn't helped.

2. When i unplug Dark Core receiver then iCUE CPU load immediately drops to 0-1%.

3. If i removes XML profiles related to Dark Core and start iCUE it (as we can expect after step 2) doesn't load CPU

UPD:

This bug is related to lighting. Disabling lighting effects (deleting all effects in lighting tab) helps with Dark Core RGB SE.

Thank you very much for contributing. The more details we get from different devices, the more we are able to focus in on the problem. What about instant lighting? Does that impact it as well?

What about instant lighting? Does that impact it as well?

There is no matter which lighting effect is used - cpu load stays at 17-18% with any of this. Only deleting of all lighting layers helps.

Even the power-saving mode (that disables all lighting) doesn't help.

Edited by Syberon

There is no matter which lighting effect is used - cpu load stays at 17-18% with any of this. Only deleting of all lighting layers helps.

Even the power-saving mode (that disables all lighting) doesn't help.

This tool is very modular and I am guessing the XML files are there so they can be parsed in, instead of hard coded in the tool. I would like to compare the device's XML that work with the devices that don't. Maybe there is some commonality that will show up that could be simply modified in the XML to allow for lighting. The high CPU usage is a very higher severity. I know I was upset when Gigabyte's RGB Fusion had 17% usage, granted that wasn't a "Beta", but a "stable" release. If there is a setting in the XML that is causing the problem, maybe that could be a fix, so people don't have to keep their lights off for their problematic device. More testing is needed, I will only be able to test with the "demo void headset". I am curious if the wired USB version has the same problem.

• Confused 1

Thank you very much for contributing. The more details we get from different devices, the more we are able to focus in on the problem. What about instant lighting? Does that impact it as well?

Well, I tried to eliminate each of the possibilities one at a time. Nothing I did had an effect. After each change, I exited and restarted the iCue software, then monitored the CPU usages for at least 2 minutes without doing anything else on the computer. Here are the things I did and in the order I did them.

1- Moved all XML files that did not directly pertain to my hardware to a sub-folder

2- Unplugged Void Pro Wireless USB Dongle

3- Unplugged Void Pro Wireless USB Cable

4- Moved Void Pro Wireless XML files to separate sub-folder

5- Unplugged ST100 Stand

6- Moved ST100 XML file to separate sub-folder

7- Unplugged MM800C

8- Moved MM800C XML file to separate sub-folder

9- Unplugged Glaive Mouse

10- Moved Glaive mouse XML file to separate sub-folder

11- Unplugged K95 Plat. USB pass-through port

12- Unplugged K95 Plat keyboard

13- Moved K95 XML Files to separate sub-folder

Obviously, I was unable to "disconnect" my AXi1200 PSU or my H115i CLC.

So as things stand now, I am typing this from my tiny tablet Bluetooth keyboard and using an old Logitech mouse atm. The only devices showing in iCue right now are the PSU and CLC. iCue is registering 10.2% CPU while minimized and 16.1% CPU load while closed to the system tray.

iCue settings are as follows:

Debug logging is unchecked

Start on system startup, enable SDK, Show only connected devices are all checked

OSD is not checked or enabled

No items are assigned to the dashboard

No items are checked in the sensor logging section

What more can I provide testing for Sol?

Well, I tried to eliminate each of the possibilities one at a time. Nothing I did had an effect. After each change, I exited and restarted the iCue software, then monitored the CPU usages for at least 2 minutes without doing anything else on the computer. Here are the things I did and in the order I did them.

1- Moved all XML files that did not directly pertain to my hardware to a sub-folder

2- Unplugged Void Pro Wireless USB Dongle

3- Unplugged Void Pro Wireless USB Cable

4- Moved Void Pro Wireless XML files to separate sub-folder

5- Unplugged ST100 Stand

6- Moved ST100 XML file to separate sub-folder

7- Unplugged MM800C

8- Moved MM800C XML file to separate sub-folder

9- Unplugged Glaive Mouse

10- Moved Glaive mouse XML file to separate sub-folder

11- Unplugged K95 Plat. USB pass-through port

12- Unplugged K95 Plat keyboard

13- Moved K95 XML Files to separate sub-folder

Obviously, I was unable to "disconnect" my AXi1200 PSU or my H115i CLC.

So as things stand now, I am typing this from my tiny tablet Bluetooth keyboard and using an old Logitech mouse atm. The only devices showing in iCue right now are the PSU and CLC. iCue is registering 10.2% CPU while minimized and 16.1% CPU load while closed to the system tray.

iCue settings are as follows:

Debug logging is unchecked

Start on system startup, enable SDK, Show only connected devices are all checked

OSD is not checked or enabled

No items are assigned to the dashboard

No items are checked in the sensor logging section

What more can I provide testing for Sol?

Don't remove all the XML files, just the ones that are having issues (demo) or ones that you have. The is avoided if the problematic device(s) XML is removed. I am rethinking suggesting people remove all their profiles as it takes time to set them up. That is the easiest way, though hardest to recover from as some people have complex lighting profiles setup.

So you can either remove the H115i CLC lighting effects in the UI or remove the H115i CLC XML from the directory. Right now, leaving everything where it is is and just removing lighting effects might fix the problem. The current working theory is the AXi1200 should be fine as it isn't using RGB. Though I would love for you to test it by removing the XML or lighting effects for the H115i CLC. If it works or not it can still give is good data, so long as the testing is done properly.

Test Procedures:

1a) Remove Lighting Effects from H115i in iCue

1b) Move H115i CLC XML to different location

2) Reboot PC

3) Load up iCue and see if the process stabilizes around ~3%, after everything starts up.

I would like to eliminate the AXi1200 as a possibility.

I am experiencing around 35% CPU usage with iCUE in idle and around 40% with it in the foreground. I tried the troubleshooting suggested in this thread to no avail, and at this point I think I should just do a system restore to bring back the prior version of iCUE.

I could understand CPU usage as high as 10% while Corsair works on optimizations, but 35-40% is nowhere near acceptable.

I have the same same AIO as you. What settings did you change to fix the issue?

I removed the profile "profile_h100iv2.xml" inside:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices

Make sure you back the file up since taking removing it from that folder, It won't show up on iCue which means you can't change/view it's settings.

When i did place the profile back to the folder iCue CPU usage raised to 15%

Try it at your own risk

I have the same same AIO as you. What settings did you change to fix the issue?

I removed the profile "profile_h100iv2.xml" inside:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\Corsair Utility Engine\devices

Make sure you back the file up since taking removing it from that folder, It won't show up on iCue which means you can't change/view it's settings.

When i did place the profile back to the folder iCue CPU usage raised to 15%

Try it at your own risk

Please note I am frequently updating the orginal post, I have almost re-written it 4 times in the past 16 hours. Did you try disabling the the lighting effects for the AIO cooler? As recommended by DevBiker

Keep in mind that removing that profile file will disable support for the H100i V2 in iCue. Use at your own risk.

And Corsair is aware of this issue and they have been working on it.

I am one or two people away from redacting the "removing XML profile" solution. I just want to hear from a couple more people that removing the lighting effects on their devices works.

You cannot disable the lighting effects on the H100i V2. It's static. Event setting it to 0,0,0 doesn't resolve the issue.

Minimizing the iCue window dropped usage from ~13-15% to ~9-10% on my H100i V2 system. It's not ideal but moderately better.

Edited by DevBiker

You cannot disable the lighting effects on the H100i V2. It's static. Event setting it to 0,0,0 doesn't resolve the issue.

So the only way to fix the CPU issue, is to move the XML profile to a backed up location?