Corsair Community

Corsair LL120 RGB not working

skylined45

Hello!

Hoping for some help. I just installed 4 LL120 fans in my case, as well as an H100i platinum SE cooler.

The cooler is working - it shows up in USBDeview, iCUE, is pumping and cooling, can do cartwheels, etc. It's great.

The 4 LL120 fans do not show up as a USB device at all. I have the 4 fans connected to the hub that came with the 3-fan set, and then the hub connected to the other hub. I re-seated the USB connection to the header on my motherboard, disabled fast startup in my BIOS, looked for any loose wires. Can't figure out why it is not being detected.

The fans are spinning and detected in BIOS, however the lighting node pro isn't showing up as an active USB device.

ASUS Z170a motherboard with most recent bios

Win10 64bit

i7 6700k processor

750w power supply

Any ideas?

Thanks, but I can't set up the fans themselves because they aren't being detected by iCUE or Link software.

They don't exist within the software. iCUE sees my H100i just fine, but not my 4 separate fans or, now, my RGB pro ram that I just installed.

edit - I just 'repaired' the iCUE program through add/remove in Windows and iCUE now sees my RGB ram. But still doesn't detect my 4 fans on the hub.

It seems the software doesn't have a very high *sunglasses*..... IQ.

Edited by skylined45

Does iCUE show the Lighting Node Pro?

I thing that's what you mean when you say "the hub connected to the other hub" - one of those "hubs" should be a Lighting Node Pro.

Check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature for the names of the devices with pictures. It's super-helpful if we're all using the same lingo so we can fully understand and diagnose issues.

Does iCUE show the Lighting Node Pro?

I thing that's what you mean when you say "the hub connected to the other hub" - one of those "hubs" should be a Lighting Node Pro.

Check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature for the names of the devices with pictures. It's super-helpful if we're all using the same lingo so we can fully understand and diagnose issues.

Hello sir. No, iCUE does not see the lighting node pro. It does not show up in USBdeview either. The H100i does without issue as does the Corsair RBG ram I installed today.

Someone on reddit reports having the same problem with the same asus z170a mobo. Wondering if it’s a mobo issue but not sure how to drill down to that.

Edited by skylined45

Hopefully some more info may help anyone reading that has any idea what to do.

I swapped the H100i and lighting node pro's USB connections to opposite headers. One of the two RGB fans on the H100i briefly turned off and on, but otherwise it is still detected in iCUE and working as intended. The lighting node pro is still not being detected.

Looking in USB Device Tree, I see the H100i using port 13 on one of my USB2.0 header. The lighting node pro is seated on the port 11/12 header, which does not show as anything being connected (but I know the header is fine, because the H100i will run off of it as intended).

Here is the manual for my motherboard: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

So I am guessing either my lighting node pro is not working or the LED hub is not working. Is there any way to confirm this relatively quickly?

edit aaaand more people having this issue with this motherboard - maybe yall have some compatibility issues? https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-z170-a-usb-2-0-9-pin-not-working-please-help.3231524/

Edited by skylined45

The compatibility issue, if any, would like lie with Asus. The "fix" on that previous thread seemed to indicate that removing the +5V worked ... which is really, really, really odd. I'd be taking a multimeter to that puppy, personally.

For your issue - I would suggest next trying a standard micro USB cable and plugging the LNP into the back of the system. If it's detected, then it's either the cable or the motherboard. Note that the LNP won't need SATA power to be detected if it's plugged into USB.

The compatibility issue, if any, would like lie with Asus. The "fix" on that previous thread seemed to indicate that removing the +5V worked ... which is really, really, really odd. I'd be taking a multimeter to that puppy, personally.

For your issue - I would suggest next trying a standard micro USB cable and plugging the LNP into the back of the system. If it's detected, then it's either the cable or the motherboard. Note that the LNP won't need SATA power to be detected if it's plugged into USB.

So I have a micro USB cable plugged into the lighting node pro, to a working port on my back i/o panel. The port works fine - it detects a wired mouse, iphone, etc. The cable also works with other devices. iCUE, USB tree and USBDeview do not see the lighting node pro.

I've turned off fast startup in windows and in my bios. xHCI is not a controller I can turn on or off but my bios says it detects 3 items as xHCI. All my USB ports are enabled in bios. Beginning to think either the lighting node just won't ever be recognized by this mobo, or the node itself is bad.

I'll have a new mobo by Friday and will test it with it... hope that's the issue!

Edited by skylined45

So I upgraded to a Z390 aorus pro from gigabyte (to go with a new 9900k) and everything is working fine. Looks like a conflict between the motherboard and the LNP.

Thanks for the help - hope anyone else struggling with this issue with these components can find this and rest assured knowing it's just a compatibility issue.

• 7 months later...
its most definitely to do with the motherboard i have the same exact issue and it will not detect it to save my life luckily sometimes i can trick it into turning on the rainbow from the start up but still i cue will not detect the fans just that they are getting power so they light up sucky thing is i cannot affor a new mobo or cpu anytime soon it took me almost a year to pay for all the parts in this one....

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with this motherboard (Asus Z170a)..another trick is to connect LNP with a miniusb cable to usb type c port behind the motherboard, works fine! :) we understood that is an incompatibility hardware problem...

but i want try the trick suggested by NightRider (isolate the both 2 Red wired on the USB connector), maybe this information will help someone!