Corsair Community

Would an oldy TX650...

RodrigoDRT

Handle an RTX 2070 with OC? this one:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2070-SUPER-GAMING-X-TRIO

the rest of the specs are a 4770k a bit overclocked, 4.4ghz 1.26v, 2x8gb ddr3 dominators 1.65v, and h110i GT, 1 ssd and 1 hdd, nothing else, in that case is a corsair 780T with some leds but nothing overly flashy.

guess thats what matter, BUT, my psu is quite old as heck, like 5-7 years, i dont even remember... and im asking this because the recommended psu is the exact 650W, if it were brand new i wouldnt worry, plus i suppose more recent stuff is more efficient as well... i dont wanna risk a 2070, nor wanna buy a new PSU unless im not absolutelly sure i'll be playing it safe.

any opinions?

You should be fine with that PSU even if it is old, the only thing you need to worry about with it is that due to the age you will be pushing it closer to the 650 side of things which might be asking a bit much of it. Also keep in mind that the recommended PSU for the card is with it at stock settings, OCing it will require it to use more power pushing you into the 750+w area.

You should be fine with that PSU even if it is old, the only thing you need to worry about with it is that due to the age you will be pushing it closer to the 650 side of things which might be asking a bit much of it. Also keep in mind that the recommended PSU for the card is with it at stock settings, OCing it will require it to use more power pushing you into the 750+w area.

I see, but the manufacturer page says 650W recommended, just like the reference card @ nvidia, though, i'm quite sure they do a manufacturer slight overclock, prolly 30mhz :p: those cowards, i dont plan do overclock it myself.

but oh well.

Nooooooope. Those numbers are as the card is stock (for said manufacturer). I get how this can be misleading but for your own peace of mind you would be better off with a slightly bigger PSU if you plan to OC the card. So if the card is OCd from the factory then yes, that number should be correct but if you plan to take it further then go bigger. :)

Can't speak on the 2070 for sure but I can tell you this, the 2080Ti OCs like a mother.

well, i guess since i've got no other answers, new psu it is....

now, im considering a Rm750x or Rm850x, pricing isnt absurdly different, but thats it between these two? because the 750x is white and the 850x is black, idk if thats just cosmetic, and i prefer black ugh.

i mean... im starting to get worried about electrical bill at this rate, aint a leap for 650w to 850w a bit impactful?

your energy bill wont be impacted any more (noticeably anyway if you account for the efficiency) than if you got a 650w. It will only use what power it needs.

A way to look at it is this, if you have a 650w PSU and you only need 500 it will only supply 500. If you get say a 1200w PSU it will only use 500.