Corsair Community

New XMS4000

Korban182

Hi, I have a intel motherboard which forms part of the new system I have built "D875PBZLK Bonanza 875P "Canterwood" (Socket 478)" To start with I had installed a matched pair of 256mb XMS3200 DDR400 which work great I have to say. I wanted to fill the remaining two slots on the motherboard with two of the same to bring the total RAM up to 1024mb. However after picking up and buying the wrong speed units XMS4000 500Mhz can I install these will they lower thier speed to 400mhz to match the maxium the Intel board will support, do I risk damaging the RAM and/or the board by trying? Thanks for the help

Welcome to the forums, Korban182! Yes, they'll underclock to match the 200MHz frequency. However, they might not run very well with the other two modules... make sure you match them in slots 1/3 and 2/4 and you'll probably have to make sure the BIOS settings are 3-4-4-8. PLUR CK

Thanks alot for your reply CK thats good news. Saves an arguement with the retailer. As long as I am not causing any damage thats good. I have the first pair already set at slots 1/3 so I will put the new set in at 2/4 as you have suggested. Its the BIOS setting you have described which I do not understand does the "3-4-4-8" refer to latency? If so what does it mean by setting it up like this? Thanks again Korban

Archived