Corsair Community

Kraken X62 USB to Commander Pro

Rico515

Hey everyone,

I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions i have about the Corsair Link Commander Pro.

Case: Corsair 570X

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

Fans: LL120(x4), LL140 (x2)

Controller: Lighting Node Pro (x2)

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code motherboard that only has one USB header. I also have the NZXT Kraken X62 for cooling which requires it be connected via USB header to the motherboard for pump/RGB control. I replaced all the fans with LL series fans (connected to fan RGB LED hub)(removed the SP fan controller for 570x) and would like to control the RGB lighting. This requires 2 USB headers to be connected to the motherboard (X62, Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro).

My questions:

1. Would i be able to connect the X62 USB header to the Commander Pro?

2. Would the motherboard recognize that the X62 is connected to it so i can control it through CAM?

3. Is it possible to control the X62 through Link? (i assume not)

4. Is my only solution to buy a splitter to connect a the X62 and one Lighting Node Pro to the mother board? Would this cause an issue with Link?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! :]

1. Would i be able to connect the X62 USB header to the Commander Pro?

You should be able to. From all appearances, it's a standard USB Hub. Windows, at least, certainly thinks so in Device Manager.

2. Would the motherboard recognize that the X62 is connected to it so i can control it through CAM?

As above, since it's a standard USB hub, there shouldn't be any issues. Now, that said, there's no telling if, for whatever reason, CAM and/or the X62 has an issue being connected through the hub. Corsair would also be limited in what they can support. You'd have to ask the NZXT folks on their forum ... oh, wait, they don't have one. ;):

3. Is it possible to control the X62 through Link? (i assume not)

It's highly unlikely. While both are based on the Asetek coolers, there are probably going to be some differences and/or quirks. And it would certainly not be a supported scenario.

I would be interested, however, if you tried it to see what would happen.

4. Is my only solution to buy a splitter to connect a the X62 and one Lighting Node Pro to the mother board? Would this cause an issue with Link?

Commander Pro should do the job ... and a whole, whole lot more. You wouldn't need the Lightning Node Pro (C-Pro could handle that job) and you'd have really fine-grained control over fan speeds and the temps that trigger your fans ... 4 temp sensors that can serve as control variables for fan speeds does open up some interesting possibilities if you like tweaking things. But ... if you don't need everything that C-Pro does, there is this internal USB hub: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817116035&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Hubs+-+Network+%2F+USB+%2F+Firewire-_-N82E16817116035&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjrycvPbm1wIVBJ7ACh1lgg1bEAQYASABEgIzY_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. I can say that this certainly works; I have one. I don't like that it is the only thing in my case that requires a Molex adapter and the magnet isn't very strong ... but it does the job.

Finally, you can also use old-school USB cables and run them outside the case. This is especially cost-effective if you have mini USB cables laying around.

And yeah ... don't get why Asus has gotten so stingy with the USB ports ... I have the Maximus IX Hero.

It appears to work normally. I have been meaning to test this for a while, but I have two internal USB 2.0s and never got around to it. So far so good on my C-Pro & X62 combo. Full lighting controls and fan speed controls through CAM. I'll let it ride until tomorrow when I do a system change and see if there are any abnormalities.

I received the Commander Pro over the weekend and installed it to my system. I can also confirm that the Kraken X62 does work with the USB connected to the Commander Pro. I am able to control all my LL fans through link (including the 2 on the X62) that are connected to the Commander Pro. You cannot control the Kraken X62 pump/RBG through link, only through CAM :(:

Now i wish i was able to control all the RGB through one software :[pouts: instead of Link (LL fans), CAM (Kraken X62), and Aura Sync (motherboard and TridentZ RAM). If anyone has any information on how this would be possible please let me know :D:

Thanks everyone for the replies, hope this helps anyone else who wants the same setup.

Now i wish i was able to control all the RGB through one software :[pouts: instead of Link (LL fans), CAM (Kraken X62), and Aura Sync (motherboard and TridentZ RAM). If anyone has any information on how this would be possible please let me know :D:

Well ... if you had a Corsair cooler and Corsair RAM, you could control everything except the motherboard. ;):

But ... yeah ... a unified RGB platform would be really nice. I get the feeling that it's not likely anytime soon though. :(:

• Corsair Employee

There are a lot of politics involved in getting everyone to play on the same field. Everyone wants you involved in their own ecosystem, using their software, not a whole lot of sharing going around.

We'd love to be able to support other peoples' RGB products, but we also have to take into consideration how it affects perception of our brand and software, too. Understanding Link and CUE are by no means perfect, we at least have some level of control over the quality of the products you're connecting to them. But if there's something with flaky firmware or a bad API and Link has trouble controlling it, you aren't going to know that it wasn't our fault. :(

• 3 months later...

Well i have the NZXT Kraken x72 and a Corsair Commander Pro an for whatever reason i cant use it with my commander pro's usb port's i would keep getting random issues where the x72 wouldn't respond and or the x72 driver would crash/Driver error , this would almost always happen after a restart or a shutdown , I had to resort to using a USB 2.0 Mini Cable and run it outside of the 570x to the back io panel (PS thank you Corsair for putting that little hole on the back of the 570x behind the mobo tray next to the io panel ) that fixed all the issues i was having with the NZXT Kraken X72 + Corsair Commander Pro's usb hub , i hope i'm not the only one that has had this issue , so in conclusion this must be a firmware issue on the x72 where it can not be used with a usb hub/commander pro usb hub , and or a NZXT Kraken x72 driver issue/CAM bug .

So i can at least confirm that the NZXT Kraken x72 will not work with the commander pro correctly on its current firmware and Driver revision or CAM software version as of the date of this reply.

oh yea i only have one internal usb port on my asus maximus x code like you.

A lot of things have changed with both Link and CAM since this post originated. It is unfortunate things gotten to the point you can’t even use the USB pathway. I’ll be interested to know how the current CAM and Link (or iCUE) get along. My replacement X62 sits in a box and don’t feel like going through the hassle of putting it in, only to find it cannot exist with anything else.

Archived