Corsair Community

Force 3 240G Freezing and Locking up - Boot drive not recognized

dirtrat

I posted this in someone elses thread but decided I needed one of my own! I've already did the registry patch for the SATA ports and it did help a little bit but still have the same problem. The patch only helped the pauses but this is an actual lockup that can not be recovered. I'll be using internet explorer and the computer will lock up. I won't be able to do anything and eventually I get a reboot and BSOD flashes by. I get an error that it can't find any boot media. The only way to get it going again is to FORCE OFF the computer and do a hard boot. A CNTRL-ALT-DEL or hitting the restart switch won't fix this problem. This has happened several times now and is very annoying. I'm open to suggestions? I have the same Force 3 240G drive that is just over a month old. I'm also running this on the Intel Sata III controler on an Asus Z68 board.

I posted this in someone elses thread but decided I needed one of my own! I've already did the registry patch for the SATA ports and it did help a little bit but still have the same problem. The patch only helped the pauses but this is an actual lockup that can not be recovered. I'll be using internet explorer and the computer will lock up. I won't be able to do anything and eventually I get a reboot and BSOD flashes by. I get an error that it can't find any boot media. The only way to get it going again is to FORCE OFF the computer and do a hard boot. A CNTRL-ALT-DEL or hitting the restart switch won't fix this problem. This has happened several times now and is very annoying. I'm open to suggestions? I have the same Force 3 240G drive that is just over a month old. I'm also running this on the Intel Sata III controler on an Asus Z68 board.

The SF-2281 controller these and other drives use is very buggy, Corsair is working on a fix with SandForce, they have provided suggestion that may help with the stability of the drive.

Force Series 3 Users Having Issues with a Replacement Drive READ HERE PLEASE

Also make sure you have IRST installed, as the registry fix specifically disables LPM through Intel's driver.

I'd posted on possibly another thread in the forums. Excuse mistakes as this is from iPhone. A sata power cable with multiple power ports is pretty typical. If you do have multiple drives attached, any time a new drive is placed on the same power line, there's additional draw on that line. If you leave your computer, and you have mechanical hard disks "go to sleep", the power on the line spikes up - my theory was that the Corsair 240 Force 3 in combo with Windows detects that there's a power spike and BSODs. Symptoms I saw before putting the 240 force 3 on its own, dedicated power cable:

Bsod almost every night when i went to bed.

With windows performance auto restart box checked, i'd wake up to bios indicating it could not detect the boot disk. I would have to turn off and start the computer from a cold boot.

It's been one night now without a bsod... Will continue to monitor progress.

Archived