Corsair Community

Force 3 60GB SSD - SATA Break

fauxf0x

To preface this, I understand that this is outside the limited warranty, but I am looking to be pointed in the direction of repair services.

I accidentally broke the plastic tab over the pins on the SATA connector for my Force 3 60GB SSD (See attached). I was wondering if there is any way I can send it in to get repaired at my expense or for Corsair to send me the plastic connector piece to install myself.

Thank you for your time.

20120111204623.jpg.cf34817fd0858326d943ef6a60682b23.jpg

Not sure if you can repair it. But is the data inside the SSD important?

The plastic connector piece is separate from the controller PCB and pins, so the plastic connector piece would just have to be replaced.

The data isn't important, but I would like to get this fixed.

The plastic connector piece is separate from the controller PCB and pins, so the plastic connector piece would just have to be replaced.

I don't think so, those connectors are usually a one piece unit and soldered in to place. Search for Force 3 reviews, I found several good internal pictures and it looks like all one piece IMO.

Regardless, getting that repaired would mean sending it to the factory, which quite likely is not in the USA, and would take a long time. Corsair might just RMA it before repairing it.

I don't think so, those connectors are usually a one piece unit and soldered in to place. Search for Force 3 reviews, I found several good internal pictures and it looks like all one piece IMO.

Regardless, getting that repaired would mean sending it to the factory, which quite likely is not in the USA, and would take a long time. Corsair might just RMA it before repairing it.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1723/2/

That review shows the internals and that the plastic part slides onto those three notches. You can't solder plastic to PCB. It is just secured at those three notches.

You are probably right though, but I don't know if they will issue me an RMA since this is outside warranty and the RMA choices for an SSD are drive failure and driver update only.

Exact same issue with my Force 60Gb.. I was wondering if this is an issue with the design or quality of connectors. Whilst the thing is within warranty, UK law says that items have to be "fit for purpose and of mercantable quality". I would debate that it breaking after maybe 5 or 6 insertions means it isnt!

Archived