Corsair Community

Hello all, I have scoured the internet for months now trying to find something similar to what I've been dealing with. I have only ever come across one thread with a similar issue which is here.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116511&highlight=ticking

I had a Seasonic PRIME 850w Titanium for a few months that did the exact same thing, but slightly louder. It was one of the reasons I swapped it out for this unit instead, but this one also does the EXACT same thing. All voltages are normal and everything is stable. The list of things I've tried goes as follows

- Tried different outlets

- Bios updates

- Overclocked

- All power save settings on and off

- Hired an electrician to check my wiring in the house

- Bought a UPS (cyberpower le1000dg)

- Re-did all cable management

I am completely out of ideas. It is not loud by any means, but if the room is silent I can faintly hear it. I also find it hard to believe it could be faulty considering this is now two $300 PSUs, while the other PCs in the house run cheap EVGAs and the only noise they make is the fan. When I had my Seasonic I contacted them, which they told me it is probably the Active PFC working. I can't find any info anywhere to corroborate this though.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just really bad luck with psus and should I just RMA it? Or is this just normal operation noise or software issue? Really hope someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

are you 100% its the PSU doing it?...

worth a look...

running any HDD's? And are you running iCUE?. and do you have 'Enable Hard Drive Widget' enabled?.. if so... if you disable it and restart iCUE service do you still get the clicking/ticking?

It is certainly possible, but PSU replacement is not fun. I would also want to check with the 24 pin jumper in place so only the PSU runs. If you have a lot of SATA/Molex items you might have to disconnect those if they make noise, but it may be easier than pulling the PSU and doing the standard wall test with nothing connected.

It is for sure the psu. I do have iCUE, but the widget is disabled. I only have 1 SSD installed. My system runs very cool as well. The hottest the psu gets is 40 degrees celcius. Rest of the system runs completely silent. Also if I unplug the aux cable for my speakers and put it right next to where the noise comes from, it'll come through the speakers.

I dunno if it's relevant, but my old Plasma TV also makes the exact same noise from the back. Not constantly, but it does from time to time. The psu doesnt make the noise constantly as well, or at least if it is it isn't as loud as other times.

My fans are very big and I tried toggling it on and off in the BIOS and I an hear it with the dust filter off

Fans when they startup using PWM can use a bit more power to start and when rotation starts. The click can come from the bearings.

I can confirm it's not the fan, but I'll give an update on the status now. The noise went away for a few days but ended up coming back again yesterday. Just for peace of mind I contacted Corsair. They got back to me Friday and essentially from what I can tell they're just sending me a new one no questions asked.

• 1 month later...
Thought I'd provide another update in case anyone else might end up in the same boat. So I ended up not bothering with the RMA. I had already just went without my PC for a few weeks after replacing my Seasonic for the same issue. I still have no idea what causes it or why, but i'm just writing it off as a normal electrical noise at this point.