Corsair Community

Does undervolting ram impact lifespan?

dreaminblue

I have a set of CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (2*4GB XMS3 1600mhz) ram rated for 1.65v. I am using it in a P67A-UD3P. I tried undervolting the ram to make sure it was below the recommended high of 1.58 VDIMM recommended by intel for Sandybridge. It actually runs memtest/prime stable set at 1.5v in the bios (1.53v in windows) at the rated timings. What I want to know is if running the ram that far undervolted will have any detrimental effects to the ram hardware wise, common sense tells me no, but I have found postings that reps from another ram reseller have told their customers not to do this as undervolting can be as damaging as overvolting.

Theorically, I don't think this may have an impact of the lifespan but sure it may increase efficiency and so affect the system stability, especially when using high performances memories.

Practically, you must be careful to respect the voltage differences between your memory, CPU, QPI and all others voltages your CPU is using, if the differences are out of range you may damage some components.

Archived