Corsair Community

H115i 50c at idle, 100c under load

ChrisK41

I currently have an 8086K OC to 5.1 with an Asus Maximus X Formula MB, and am using a H115i PRO to cool it. My temps are hitting around 45-55 at idle, and can spike up to 80-83 within the time it takes to load a game. If I try cinebench they spike to 100 within 3-4 seconds. My liquid temps sit around 31-35.

The cooler is set to performance mode, and I have tired re-seating the cooler on the CPU 8 different times with two different compounds, as well as what came on it the first time. All have gotten very similar results.

I have never had trouble with these kind of temps from a Corsair AIO before and am kinda at a loss. Any advice or help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

That seems like a normal non-delid 8700K/8086 at 5.1 GHz. These CPUs are all going to be voltage and material construction limited. You may be able to take a little bit of the edge off with some BIOS tweaks and you haven’t mentioned your actual load Vcore. Common to see some overshoot at factory defaults.

ok tell me this is this because we do all core sync.

I have 100i v2 which also shoots high as 100 from 90-99. All i had is 4.7ghz and still it hits high.

On 4.3ghz its still goes upto 94-96 but not 100.

Will 150i pro will ease the heat. I dont want 5ghz , Not even 4.7ghz now. Just all cores 4.3 which itself faster than my older 2600 non k. So was 150i pro made for 6 core in mind or just 4core. I cant remember when it was released after 8th gen or at 7th gen. As corsair took a sweet time for 360mm rad. Not sure will they launch a 420mm aio .

What is your vCore (in iCue, it's VCPU)?

And the 150 Pro was made for 4 and 6 core ... and it'll work for 8 core when those come out. But a lot of that will depend on other factors (like your CPU voltage) and no cooler can fix the lousy TIM that Intel uses.

From my experience with the 8700K, cooler capacity is rarely the issue. I am running 5.0@1.30v and my coolant delta on a H115i Pro is about 4C for normal use and maybe 5C for stress testing. This means the most I could possible reduce my CPU temp with any size cooler (even 10 ft tall) is 4-5C. Nothing is 100% efficient so that won't happen. Most people with a 8700K and H150i are about the same. The H100i Pro is new, but it would be shocking to see more than a 1-2C difference between it and the bigger coolers. Obviously you are looking for more than that.

The heat must travel through the CPU before the cooler cold plate can conduct it away. There is no going around it or going through it so fast it doesn't heat the silicon. Without a doubt, your voltage is the single largest factor in your CPU temperature. The 8700K is programmed to be very responsive and powerful, but it is naturally hot at the same time. I am sure you have seen complaints of the Intel TIM used under the lid and this is the limiting factor. My delidded version runs 20-25C cooler than other 8700K. That is not an option for everyone, so lets discuss what your immediate solutions might be.

1) We need to know your actual Vcore peak value. This will be shown in iCUE in the motherboard section of in most every monitoring application.

2) You have an Asus board, so I know for a fact the default configuration is going to make you run blazing hot right out of the box regardless of your luck in the silicon lottery. We can help with this. A lot of us have Asus Z370s and I have the sister Code X. If you tell me what frequency you want to run and whether you prefer adaptive or manual voltage, I can give you BIOS settings. There are about 6-8 things that need to be changed whether you want to run 4.3 or 5.1.

3) Coolant delta - How much change to you see in the H100i PRO Temp (reading to the right of the pump picture in iCUE)? Your original post suggests is may only be about 4-5C, which is exactly what is expected and the same as mine on the 280mm version. Don't rush out and buy a new cooler yet.

OP, your situation sounds normal to me. You haven't stated what voltage you're running, which is more relevant than what clock speed per se.

When my 8086k was clocked to that level it would hit high 90s on P95 or cinebench loops. No cooler can fix those near term spikes, as c-attack says. The spikes happen very quickly, but it takes time for any cooler to absorb and then dissipate heat.

Delidding was a huge help, those spikes are now in the low 70s.

Archived