Corsair Community

Transitions between colors not smooth

h1mike2

Has anybody else been having the problem with their K70 where when you create a profile that uses gradient to fade from color to color, the colors do not fade together very smoothly?

For example, the rainbow profile looks perfectly smooth on my keyboard, but when I made my own profile it doesn't look smooth at all. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

This is described in detail in this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133172

Basically the keyboard only supports 8 levels of brightness per LED color channel (one of which is off). I determined how they're setting the LEDs based on the datasheet of the chip they're using as well as decoding the USB protocol. It's only sending 3 bits per LED channel. Corsair replied that they are going to add full 16.8M colors (8-bits) per channel in a future firmware update, which is a difficult task considering the functionality of the LED driver chip in the keyboard's limitations but they said mid-November they would have it ready. I'm patiently waiting until then to see if they'll pull through on that claim.

They better fix it. Talk about a PR nightmare of selling a product that doesn't deliver on it's most flaunted feature. 'Fast & Fluid RGB animation lighting in 16.8 million colors'

If they can't 'fix it', I'm curious as to how they'll handle this issue. They can't continue selling a KB that doesn't do what it says it's supposed to do, and they need to make amends to the customers who've already bought the product. Like I said, a nightmare.

• 7 months later...

I get nice smooth transitions on 16.8m color mode. There may be a very slight flickering in a gradient between RED and GREEN due to the nature of the SMD RGB LEDs (the red LED operates on 2V DC while the green and blue require 3.2V). Running all three colors at 3.2V would over stress the red and shorten it's lifespan. If you take off a keycap and look directly into the LED and let your eyes adjust, you will easily see the flickering effect.

If you purposefully slow down transitions to a crawl, you will notice the stepwise nature, as these thing are, after all, digital devices and there are only 256 distinct levels of brightness for each color in 16.8m color mode.

It's not nearly as bad as what a few upset, and highly vocal, people make it out to be.

It's not nearly as bad as what a few upset, and highly vocal, people make it out to be.

I think the flicker you are referring to is different from the flicker that affects all the lit keys when other keys are being animated.

Archived