Corsair Community

question re ML120 Pro rgb 3 pack kits

JeremyWilson

Hi, I'm planning to buy 2 of the ML120 Pro RGB 3 packs for my new build (in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic case).

I can see that each pack comes with a RGB Hub and a Lightning Node Pro.

I need advice on how to connect all this to the motherboard (Asus X570 Tuf Pro). Will I only need to use 1 of the RGB Hubs and 1 of the Node Pros?

Do all of the fans connect to the RGB Hub, the Hub connects to the Lightning Node Pro and then the Node Pro connects to the motherboard?

Thanks for you help.

The ML series is light enough on motor current draw that you can put them on double or triple PWM splitters. This is an inexpensive solution. However, only half the problem. Each Corsair RGB fan has two wires. One for fan power. One for lighting power.

The lighting wires go to the RGB Hub that is SATA powered from the psu. That then connects via a proprietary connection to the Lighting Node Pro. That LNP is your connection to the software to control the lights. It will connect to the system via USB 2. Each RGB hub can handle 6 RGB fans and represents 1 lighting channel. Each LNP (or Commander Pro) can handle 2 lighting channels.

Since this is a O11D, there is a good chance you are water cooling half or all of the system. If so, the Commander Pro is a real asset. This is your combination LNP + fan controller. It replaces the LNP, gives you software control over the fans, and has 4 temp sensor probes for native control. You can hook your standard 10K water temp sensors right into it and base your fans speeds from that.

The ML series is light enough on motor current draw that you can put them on double or triple PWM splitters. This is an inexpensive solution. However, only half the problem. Each Corsair RGB fan has two wires. One for fan power. One for lighting power.

The lighting wires go to the RGB Hub that is SATA powered from the psu. That then connects via a proprietary connection to the Lighting Node Pro. That LNP is your connection to the software to control the lights. It will connect to the system via USB 2. Each RGB hub can handle 6 RGB fans and represents 1 lighting channel. Each LNP (or Commander Pro) can handle 2 lighting channels.

Since this is a O11D, there is a good chance you are water cooling half or all of the system. If so, the Commander Pro is a real asset. This is your combination LNP + fan controller. It replaces the LNP, gives you software control over the fans, and has 4 temp sensor probes for native control. You can hook your standard 10K water temp sensors right into it and base your fans speeds from that.

That's some great info, thanks. But just so I understand things clearly, if I connect all 6 fans to the rgb hub and use the LNP instead of the Commander Pro (to save money), what will I lose except for fewer cables and less control over the lighting? Will I still have the same rgb features?

You won’t lose anything. Identical Lighting options, although there are some specific preset effect differences between the ML, HD, and LL fans not related to controller type.

What you gain with the Commander Pro is desktop fan control + 4 temp sensors that can drive fan behavior without the software. A C-Pro is literally a LNP + fan controller, so you can upgrade at a later date with no penalty for not doing it at the start.