Corsair Community

Upgrading Memory

Roadking1988

Hello everyone, new member here. I'm looking to upgrade my computer, primarily the memory, currently it has 2 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory sticks in it at 4 GB a piece giving me a total of 8. Current stick part number is CMX8GX3M2A1866C11. I'm looking to either buy two more sticks to upgrade myself to 16 GB, or buy 4 new sticks and upgrade it even further than 16. Problem is i cant find my original memory sticks anywhere, doesnt seem like this part number exists. If it no longer exists could anyone point me in the direction of an upgraded stick that will work with my motherboard?

• Corsair Employee

Hello Roadking1988,

Mixing modules of separate kits can cause stability issues, so it isn't really recommended. Using the same part number would net the best chance of not having stability issues. If you aren't able to find it, memory with the same speed would be your next best chance.

Ideally if you want to upgrade and maintain guaranteed stability, the kit would be replaced with a single 16GB or larger kit of memory.

As far as looking for an alternative, with an Ivy Bridge based system, you should be fine with any 2133mhz or below kit up to 32GB. Let me know if I can help any other way!

Archived