Corsair Community

Info about Corsair xms2 ram version compatibility

dany7

Hi, i have an asus p5q i have 4gb of ram 2x2 : corsair xms2 2048 5-5-5-18 1.8v ver.3.2,i want to put on 4 gb more so i found an internet shop which sell the same ram with all the same specifications except for the ram version which is 6.1.The question is , if i buy these new rams may create conflicts if the old one are ver3.2 and this one are 6.1? for example blue screens ? the other specifications are exactly the same.

tnx for answer

mixing ram from different single packs is not suggested, supported or recommended. especially different versions.

all corsair ram is tested with its companions in the same package, no way to guarantee compatibility even with the same version from another set.

a single 8 gig kit is suggested for best results and support.

thank you for the answer...i know is not suggested mixing rams but the only different value is the version but same voltage , same case latency, same type of memory slot with the same heatsink, the problem is i can't find the same versions i bought it 3 years ago...and i don't want to remove my actual ram to buy a 8gb kit it didn't make any sense...then surely I will have problems or maybe it will work ? maybe in this case the version is different cause the build date...i mean in this case the 3.2 version identify the year 2009 and these new 6.1 identify for example the year 2011 is that possible ? the other specs are really the same and esthetically also.

As synthohol stated mixing kits is not suggested. Even if they were the same version it still wouldn't make any difference or increase your chances of adding another kit without problems.

The difference in versions is the chips used to make the modules. Even though they have the same timings and require the same voltage the similarity ends there.

Anytime you are wanting more memory it's best to replace and not add.

As synthohol stated mixing kits is not suggested. Even if they were the same version it still wouldn't make any difference or increase your chances of adding another kit without problems.

The difference in versions is the chips used to make the modules. Even though they have the same timings and require the same voltage the similarity ends there.

Anytime you are wanting more memory it's best to replace and not add.

i don't think is best to replace not add because if i replace all ram maybe is better if replace all system and use ddr3 memory nowadays ddr3 is not expensive like ddr2 but till now my pc still good for gaming and i want to keep this also because i dont have money to spend on it i have already bougth a new videocard 2 months ago...and now i just want to increase the ram at 8gb..removing the old ram and buy 8 gb ddr2 same as the old only to have the same version is too expensive and it didnt make any sense...

im notice i bought the ram the same of my old ram but with different version(i had 3.2 and i bought 6.1) and all togheter it works very well with the other with no problems... ;)

Hey, are they still running without issues? It's probably too early to be entirely certain the warnings these pros gave in their replies will come true, but I am in the same situation. I have a similar MoBo, and 2x2GB XMS2 rev. 6.1 and am about to buy another pair with a rev. of 5.1, but every thing else is exactly the same.

What else are we to do when there aren't even 8GB kits of DDR2 being sold???

~Des

hi, yes they still works perfectly without any issue,i would not say that works without having done extensive tests of it(i have done successfull interl burn test with stress maximum without errors and some other tests so don't need to wait if what they said will become true). I realized that the old ram that i had were different i thought they was the same but they are one 3.2 version and the other is 1.2 version and i bought both in the 2009 when i build my pc and i never had problems now i bought the same ram with only different version 6.1 so i have in total 4 slot of ram with same values the only difference is

ram 1= ver 3.2

ram2= ver 1.2

ram3= 6.1

ram4=6.1

all works great...i have experience about computers i only asked here about this thing because i heard around that was not compatible but many people who respond sometimes based on what you feel around and maybe not always true..in my mind i tought it will work why not...specs are the same...and i was right ,Many times manufacturers do not recommend certain things then eventually work for example if you go to see in the official site the specs of my mainboard this ram that i use didn't appear in the compatibility list but it work well...so the best thing is try and see what happend and not rely only on what is said around...do not agree with answers ...if I had heard what they said I'd still have 4 gb of ram, or worse I would have spent money on unnecessary to replace all my ram to buy new just to have the same version without any sense.

dany

• 4 years later...

If anything, on the Asus P5Q there are 4 dimm slots. Use the two pair of DDR2 you have within the same channel of dimms. Such as the ver 6 in the two black slots or channels 1 and the other ver in the yellow slots or channel 2. At least each channel on the board with have the same pair versus mixed DDR2 within each channel.

You are right, it's not easy to find DDR2 in 4GB modules let alone "matched pairs". Most of the memory for sale out there is mixed vs. matched pairs.

Archived