Corsair Community

Could commander pro fry my h100i pump?

Roxel

I got the whole 9 yards from a h100i to 6 ll120, and 3 sd120s, wired em all up to the commander pro with the thermal wires.. turned on the pc, and smoke came from between the thermal wires and the usb connection. Now I took out my commander pro cuz that’s toast. And am just trying the pump out. I have the fan lead connected to cpu_fan. The SATA plugged into power, both fans connected, with the usb connected into the board. I’m getting the ‘no cpu fan’ and cpu temp climbing. So the h100i unit itself doesn’t seem to be working..

Any insight? Thanks

• Corsair Employee
I'm sorry to hear about the commander pro, I would suggest getting a support ticket started at https://www.corsair.com/us/en/support. Our Tech support team can assist you with getting the Commander Pro replaced. Do you have an Asus Mobo? When no CPU fan shows up it means the pump isn't initially spinning up fast enough, you can lower the speed within the bios itself. How fast does the temp climb? What are the temps you are seeing?

Hi buddy

Did you have anything in the USB header?.. the cooler maybe?

I had the commander plugged in to the onboard usb. Lighting node and h100i plugged into the commander pro usb.. I used one of your wiring diagrams.

Pretty positive they were lined up. As for the tickets, just rma’ing them through Newegg since they’re brand new. Getting the refund, and reordered my com pro, and a H150i. I don’t wanna wait 2 weeks for replacements.

Could you shed some insight on this cpu fan setting that was mentioned above? I didn’t have to do that with me h80. That’s new?

The H150i will get its power from the SATA connection, rather than the motherboard fan connector like many of the pumps (H100i v2). On those models, setting the fan control on the board to 100% to provide the necessary 12 volts is critical. The most common verbiage is "disabled", which locks the fan control at 100%, rather than turning off the header as the name might suggest. Just disables dynamic control. Asus boards also refer to this as "Full Speed", although the exact place to find it varies from between board models, even on the same platform. It is usually in the "Q-FAN" section of the EZ BIOS or the bottom of the Monitoring tab in the Advanced BIOS. Now this isn't actually that important on the H150i with the SATA power, but I would still set it to Disabled/Full Speed. You have some fan tuning and power saving programs in the BIOS (Q-Fan tuning). While the BIOS cannot actually change the pump speed, I've had the program hang trying to tune other fans and it gets stuck on the pump it can't change.

I just want an idea where it’s located to I can navigate to it quickly before the cpu over temps and shuts off.. thanks for giving me the idea to navigate quickly towards so I can hopefully get it done quickly. I might even have a stock heatsink/fan. I might just throw that on and go to the setting and change it..

Pretty positive they were lined up. As for the tickets, just rma’ing them through Newegg since they’re brand new. Getting the refund, and reordered my com pro, and a H150i. I don’t wanna wait 2 weeks for replacements.

Cool.. i would take it as a given they both are toast. as the smoke came from an area tying the two together if you get my meaning.

as for the H150.. good call.. good cooler. and i see your other question was answer above by c-attack :)

Archived