Corsair Community

ll fans on 240 rad

mrshrir

so i have a 240 id cooling , and i just got LL fans and commander pro, up and till now the 2 fans on the rad were connected to the motherboard fan header, and working on full rpm. now i will be connecting all 6 fans to the commander pro, do i just set the 2 fans that are on the rad at full rpm ?

ive heard that the SP fans are better fans for cooling than LL fans, is this true ?

No, full speed is not likely necessary or enjoyable. The Commander Pro is a desktop software fan controller, so there is no reason to max it out and leave it. You can make situational responses. What I would suggest is to take one of the temp sensors from the C-Pro box and run the sensor end to the backside of the radiator -- wherever it is exhausting air. Radiator exhaust temp is approximately equal to coolant temperature and this will give you control over the radiator fans with or without the software running.

You will have to learn your temperature range for that sensor. Most people will see a base level about 4-6C above their room temp. Load temps will increase it by 6-10C. That is a relatively small range, but then you don't need a large fan response either. A steady moderate pace will keep heat leaving the system. It does not need to keep in step with the CPU nanosecond by nanosecond. That is not how the cooling process works. The block on the CPU cooler conducts heat away from the CPU. That is how the CPU keeps under its limits. The heat is dumped into the coolant stream. The fans' job is to move the heat out of the coolant stream before it builds up too much. +1C coolant (or on that sensor) = +1C CPU temp. You only need to keep things moving along.

LL fans are clearly designed to be highly aesthetically appealing. If it is worth it to you to find the loudest, faster fan you can in order to reduce your CPU temperature by 2C, that is up to you. Most people will find more pleasure in the appearance, rather than a small CPU temp reduction.