Corsair Community

Any way of fixing Corsair One fan pump noise

domdomdom

Hi has anyone worked out how to fix the Corsair One fan pump noise. I had a system that was quiet, but it kept crashing so after an RMA request I sent it in for a replacement. Unfortunately my return unit had the same pump noise as these posts.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175214

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175202

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171545

After another RMA, I got a third unit which was also noisy so I sent it back. This last replacement took over a month to get to me which was really frustrating and I don't really want to go though the same arduous process again, only to get another noisy unit. It is so frustrating after my first unit was a quiet one.

So I'm looking at fixing it myself, does anyone know what the source of the problem is and how to fix it? If not I'm just going to sell the darn thing.

Thanks, and sorry for moaning.

Dom

• Corsair Employee
Hi has anyone worked out how to fix the Corsair One fan pump noise. I had a system that was quiet, but it kept crashing so after an RMA request I sent it in for a replacement. Unfortunately my return unit had the same pump noise as these posts.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175214

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=175202

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171545

After another RMA, I got a third unit which was also noisy so I sent it back. This last replacement took over a month to get to me which was really frustrating and I don't really want to go though the same arduous process again, only to get another noisy unit. It is so frustrating after my first unit was a quiet one.

So I'm looking at fixing it myself, does anyone know what the source of the problem is and how to fix it? If not I'm just going to sell the darn thing.

Thanks, and sorry for moaning.

Dom

What's the part number and SN on your unit? Are you hearing this noise constantly or only during load?

Hey StormShadow,

The serial number is: 0006182306817

I'm not sure what the part number is, but this is on the bottom of the case above the serial number: CS-9000011

There is also this above the barcode: RCS0003

And from the corsair one diagnostics I got these

Product: Corsair One

BIOS Version String: 4.C1

Yeah I'm hearing the noise constantly. It is a tone like a high D on a guitar, which makes me think it is some kind of resonance.

I can hear it from across a room, and it cuts through noise cancelling head phones, so it is annoying when it is about 1m away. And this wasn't an issue with the first unit I had, so I'm mainly noticing the difference with this replacement. It could be that I had an exceptionally quiet model the first time around, but I have ordered a decibel meter so I can give you an accurate reading when it arrives.

Could you possibly tell me what should I expect to measure? I think I read somewhere that it was 20dB at 1 meter, is that correct?

I have the same issue. Put in an RMA at the start of June and only received it in October. Just set it up last week and getting 40-45Db @ 5% load. Can hear it with headphones on and across the room also.

Right-hand side has a consistent high tone and left hand side has a like a different fan noise.

SN:0018182306817

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like you are hearing the pump. Before I say anything, noise is a very subjective topic. Given the size and power packed into the CORSAIR ONE, you cannot expect it to be completely quiet. With that said, how loud would you describe this sound you are hearing?

My decibel meter finally arrived. I measured the noise at idle at about 2 feet away and it registered 37.5dB. Is this in the realm you would expect or is this noisy?

Thanks,

Dom

Talking about water-cooling in general rather than C1 specific:

A lot of 'pump' noise is actually caused by bubbles trapped in the pump. The noise can often be reduced by elevating/running the systems in a way that gets the air out of the pump and into the highest point of the system, ideally a reservoir.

So with the C1 you could elevate it in a way to encourage any air into the radiator for either the CPU OR GPU side, but without disassembly and running the pumps with elevated radiators you probably won't be able to do both.

One of the benefits of AIO's is meant to be the lack of maintenance as they are often sealed units, and in theory shouldn't have air in them.

• Corsair Employee
My decibel meter finally arrived. I measured the noise at idle at about 2 feet away and it registered 37.5dB. Is this in the realm you would expect or is this noisy?

Thanks,

Dom

That's the ball park considering ambient noise in the equation. Keep in mind that result vary depending on other factors such as environment.

That's the ball park considering ambient noise in the equation. Keep in mind that result vary depending on other factors such as environment.

Yeah I measured the ambient noise as well which was 35dB, so the Corsair runs 2.5dB above ambient. I guess this is not much so I'll deal with it. I just remember my previous model being inaudible when on the desk next to me which is no longer true with this model.

Do you think I could do anything to dampen the pumps to the body? Like screw them in tighter or put a rubber washer in-between them and the main body, or shield them with something?

I'll try the air bubble trick.

Thanks!

Okay so I opened up the machine and did a bit of investigating and found that the annoying part of the noise is not coming from pumps or fans but from the rear of the unit towards the top. The pumps are pretty much white noise, which I don't mind. But the noise at the top and back is a tone.

I couldn't see what this is coming from, but it is directly behind the button you press to pop off the top fan. Is it the power supply?

I have the exact same problem right now (Top right constant noise). Let me know if you find any solutions.

My first two units were having rattling / grinding sound from bottom left (and one of them stopped working after couple days). I think that was from the pumps. They didn't have this high pitch noise. Rattling noise was louder but they are both annoying to hear constantly. Now, I'm at my third unit after 2 RMAs.

This one has a high pitch sound that is pretty annoying in constant use. Even though I've put it under the desk just because of the noise. When I pay attention, it's coming from top right side. It is also audible from top left, but it's much more significant on the right. I'm guessing it's the power supply, but not sure.

I've contacted support again, and I think I might go through one last RMA in January. That's unless if they tell me that this sound is expected. Then I would just give up and return it.

The noise you are mentioning is probably the power supply fan. Corsair SFX PSUs use 92mm rifle bearing fans as far as I'm aware and when they spin way up they make a rather unpleasant sound.

I need to do some more testing but I'm wondering if switching the direction of the PSU might help with the sound. They are currently setup so they are pulling air in from the back of the GPU which seems really constrained and really hot. Flipping them would pull air in from the radiator and outside of the case. Depending on how hot the radiator in that could be good or bad. Still it feels like pulling air in from the rad and outside the case would be better in general.

It sounds like v2 will address some of this with a new layout but presently that is all speculation as no official details have been revealed on a V2 despite Intel showing one off at a booth awhile back.

The noise you are mentioning is probably the power supply fan. Corsair SFX PSUs use 92mm rifle bearing fans as far as I'm aware and when they spin way up they make a rather unpleasant sound.

I need to do some more testing but I'm wondering if switching the direction of the PSU might help with the sound. They are currently setup so they are pulling air in from the back of the GPU which seems really constrained and really hot. Flipping them would pull air in from the radiator and outside of the case. Depending on how hot the radiator in that could be good or bad. Still it feels like pulling air in from the rad and outside the case would be better in general.

It sounds like v2 will address some of this with a new layout but presently that is all speculation as no official details have been revealed on a V2 despite Intel showing one off at a booth awhile back.

The cables are lengthed to perfection - rotating the psu 180 degrees would require the cables rotating too (and thus need to be a bit longer. Also the airflow to the back of the GPU would be reduced - it may be the way round it is for a good reason.

I have a different MLB, an Asrock Z390, in my one that I installed so some of my connectors are in different locations anyway. I removed the zip ties, re-routed, and added extensions where needed already. That may not be an option for everyone of course.

Airflow wise the fan on the PSU pulls air into the PSU they exhausts it out the back to my recollection. If that is correct there would be no airflow really happening on the back of the GPU. If it is reversed then it would be hot air exhausting to the back of the GPU so that might not be better.

It is certainly possible that Corsair already tested orientations and found the way they have it to be best but, and I don't mean to offend Corsair here, given some of the other gaps on the product and things around the product I'm not sure that happened. Would be interesting to know if that was in fact tested though if anyone from Corsair wants to chime in here.

I rotated the PSU this morning so the fan is facing the radiator instead of a cut out and the back of the GPU. Thus far initial testing has a huge decrease in fan noise on the PSU and almost no temperature change on the GPU. I will continue testing but I'm pretty happy so far.

The process was very easy as the screw holes all line up and the PSU extension cable for external power still bent and connected to the PSU without issue. As to the internal cables they all pretty much fit without issue. As I noted above I did remove some zip ties to reroute a few of my power cables since I have a different MLB but most of the ones I left are still fitting fine.

Next step is to remove the blower fan on the GPU and replace it with some 92mm Noctuas to go with the 140mm Noctua I have at the top of the case. Beyond that I might even replace all the radiators with fans as well and go full air cooling.

Update: I ended up taking my whole system apart, there is a new post with pictures on that actually, and putting an arctic accelero III cooler on the card. I've actually listed the case with radiators up on eBay for someone to pick up if they want just those bits without the rest of the system and I'm running the other bits on a test bench.

• 2 months later...
I rotated the PSU this morning so the fan is facing the radiator instead of a cut out and the back of the GPU. Thus far initial testing has a huge decrease in fan noise on the PSU and almost no temperature change on the GPU. I will continue testing but I'm pretty happy so far.

The process was very easy as the screw holes all line up and the PSU extension cable for external power still bent and connected to the PSU without issue. As to the internal cables they all pretty much fit without issue. As I noted above I did remove some zip ties to reroute a few of my power cables since I have a different MLB but most of the ones I left are still fitting fine.

Next step is to remove the blower fan on the GPU and replace it with some 92mm Noctuas to go with the 140mm Noctua I have at the top of the case. Beyond that I might even replace all the radiators with fans as well and go full air cooling.

Did you manage the GPU blower fan replacement? I'm having issues with it, but Corsair support has taken to ignoring me outright lately, so I'm thinking I might just have to go ahead and replace it myself.

Archived