Corsair Community

H100 fan speed cycles with Delta 4-wire PWM fans

omegatotal

So I have an H100(non-i), tested with a 92mm 4-wire PWM fan, confirmed all 4 ports are working as expected/designed, however I also have some Delta 120mm 4-wire PWM fans with near 200 CFM and high static pressure.

With these Delta fans, at power on, they speed up and slow down, and will do this until I intervene. PLEASE READ THE SETUP INFO BELOW CAREFULLY.

I have these fans powered via a splitter connection that allows the fan to draw 12v directly from a 12v PSU connector instead of through the H100 controller as these fans draw up to 3 amps each.

So basically the red and black wires are going directly to the PSU, the black wire is also going to the appropriate pin on the 4 pin connector on the H100 so that the RPM and PWM signals have a solid common ground.

The RPM Sense and the PWM Control wires from each fan are going directly to the H100.

The only way I have been able to get the fans to actually run correctly is to use a very high value resistor between the PWM Control pin of the fan ( WHILE it is connected to the H100 ) to ground ( black wire/pin ) momentarily.

This is a work around that requires using a momentary switch, pressing and holding when the fans are speeding up, then releasing when they are supposed to be slowing down, until the fan controller in the H100 allows them to spin up to full speed and slowly adjusts the RPM till it is happy ( perhaps attempting to learn the fans profile, This is not always achievable on the first attempt, sometimes takes a few minutes of attempting to get the timing correct ).

These Delta fans have a Smart ramp-up/spin-up to protect from over current draw from the system, and I believe this is causing the issue.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or found a fix. I want to use these fans but need an automated method and would prefer to use the H100 as the controller.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or found a fix. I want to use these fans but need an automated method and would prefer to use the H100 as the controller.

you cant use the h100 to control 3 amp fans,they draw too many apms.

Omegatotal, I am sorry, your on your own with this one. Corsair won't give you any help on this since you are not using the unit as intended and I don't believe ai have ever seen anyone try to run fans like that.

I do understand what your after, just don't think it's possible with the hseries cooler.

.. wytnyt derped ;-)

i assume since your asking for help tends to make yourself a little derpy yourself;):

in theory what you want to do should work but its something these units werent tested to do.

these units need to manage the power in order to get pulsed rpms out of them,you cant just take the power out of the equation and expect them to work.

it defeats the pwm function.

hi hi,

3 amps per fan, i didnt know that delta made 140mm fans

that being said, i suggest you look at the bitfenix hydra pro fan controller and run them through there

there is no way you can use the 100 as the controller as the leads are only rated at 1.5a

its what i use on my old rig and was the only way to work around it

not pwm supported, but a great solution for high rpm fans

hi hi,

that being said, i suggest you look at the bitfenix hydra pro fan controller and run them through there

there is no way you can use the 100 as the controller as the leads are only rated at 1.5a

unless im being derpy,he wants to run the power via the psu and use the pwm lead to trigger speeds but the controller needs to pulse the power lead,,which is what PWM means.

Its not a 'want', I have it setup, and I am also running another brand 120MM fan the same way, but it does not have the Smart ramp-up/spin-up stuff and it works perfectly fine..

Its a software issue, not an electrical one.

I have two Delta 200cfm 120mm fans running on the Rad in push config, and another 4wire/PWM fan from Nidec running on the side panel.

The Nidec is wired the same way as the two Delta's since it also can draw almost 2 amps when running full speed.

The Nidec does not experience the speed-up/slow-down cycle issue since it does not have a built in Microcontroller for the Smart ramp-up/spin-up

Here is a nearly identical Delta in question, (dell has a number of different 5 digit p/n codes, but the fan is the same, the different p/n codes are for different length wire and different connector/grill/mounting options)

http://www.amazon.com/computers-accessories/dp/B004I0DAVY

I was able to get a ton of these locally before the surplus retailer realized what they had, they are one-off fans made specifically for Dell servers so the full specs are hard to find on any sites.

This thread has a similar description of how it is wired, and you can see people do it all the time...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1236168/how-to-use-a-3-00a-pwm-fan-delta-afc1212de-pwm

Just for the sake of completeness of information, heres a thread with pictures of a similar model that someone pulled apart (thicker frame, but as far as I can tell the same guts, as mine) http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683048

And heres a video of the same fan I have as well

So if you are an overclocker, but dont push the machine hard all the time and want some sort of silence when possible, these are great fans, if you can get the fan controller to work with them.....

hi hi,

not pwm supported, but a great solution for high rpm fans

These fans CAN NOT have any type of voltage control, it will not work correctly and could damage them. They only support speed control through the dedicated PWM control wire(4 wire connection)

Also, you should browse http://www.overclock.net/t/922274/delta-fanatics-club/

specifically http://www.overclock.net/t/922274/delta-fanatics-club/380#post_15227117

for an example of the extreme fans delta creates for their clients.

i didnt mean to imply it was a want but that the CL wont do what you want.

Perhaps then its time for me to get one that has a failed pump/leak from someone, tear it apart, and try and download/decode the firmware so I can make a custom one that doesn't suck:mad:

Archived