Corsair Community

Firmware 2.04 Problems

IceDreamer

Corsair, sit up, pay attention, and take note, because the number of people having issues with this firmware update is higher than would be expected.

My K70 RGB refuses to work properly any longer. The lighting and macro settings jammed, and only by plugging into a spare laptop with USB 2.0 ports was the board able to un-jam. I am now back on my main machine with the keyboard at bare functionality on default lighting. The CUE software refuses to start the GUI on this machine, despite numerous attempts at troubleshooting it. The main rig only has USB 3.0 ports, so if this is the issue, I have no solution.

What I expect:

Before 18:00 GMT I'd like to see either a revised update fixing these issues, or a post on these forums with an official download link to the prior, working 2.02 firmware and compatible CUE.

Or I'm going to get very, very upset. You asked me to pay £170 for a keyboard, and I did. For that, your response to messing up has got to be immaculate.

I hope very much you'll do what all here expect; elevate yourselves above the likes of MSI, Acer and Razer, and respond with the speed and dignity the Corsair name has come to stand for.

Couldn't agree more.

As I mentioned numerous times in other topics, feel lucky you don't have M65 RGB in addition. Then if you connect both of them to USB 3.0, they just "die". No light no response, windows can't see they're plugged. Nothing.

And I just bought the equipement a week ago, because ..... I was annoyed by Razer Synapse.... haahahah. Check this one out. I changed to Corsair to get finally a decent software. To prove me wrong, Corsair decided to "brick" all devices I bought from them with official firmware update!!! Oh irony...

I support your reqest 100%.

Let me install previous firmware, and i promise to never ever update anything again.

And try to get back to my Razer Mamba and Black Widow, maybe Chroma version this time...

What makes it even worse, is that there is absolutely no response on the topic from Corsair. It's almost like: "you bought it, it is not our problem anymore, we got your money, so..."

I called them earlier. Support is based in the USA, and they did a good job of discussing with me, so there's some good support available. Submit a ticket through support to them requesting a firmware flash to the last version. They've not got back to me just yet, but it shouldn't be long.

CUE resolved by several reboots and a manual system and registry sweep to ensure full uninstall, then reinstall. All systems operational.

Corsair got that firmware out very quickly, and have USA phone support. Top marks for cock-up response :)

Hi guys, thanks for your input.

Anytime you experience issues like these, the best thing is to document the symptoms and provide tech specs of the system including mobo, cpu, bios revision, OS, software version, firmware version, and the specific part number. It is also helpful to know what are the reproduction steps to get the issue to show up on our end too.

You don't need to post it here on the forums, but get a ticket opened in our Support site.

I know it's frustrating when something undesirable happens and you're not sure why, but help us help you figure out why and remain solution focused.

Thanks again for the feedback. We do sit up, pay attention, and take notes.

Anytime you experience issues like these, the best thing is to document the symptoms and provide tech specs of the system including mobo, cpu, bios revision, OS, software version, firmware version, and the specific part number. It is also helpful to know what are the reproduction steps to get the issue to show up on our end too.

You don't need to post it here on the forums, but get a ticket opened in our Support site.

I know it's frustrating when something undesirable happens and you're not sure why, but help us help you figure out why and remain solution focused.

So what's the answer? Is there a fix on the way? I don't want to just know that I can make a support ticket. Since it's such a widespread problem, is it being looked into? How can I manually download and install an older version of the firmware if I don't want to wait for a fix?

We're frustrated and want solutions, not just acknowledgment.

So what's the answer? Is there a fix on the way? I don't want to just know that I can make a support ticket. Since it's such a widespread problem, is it being looked into? How can I manually download and install an older version of the firmware if I don't want to wait for a fix?

It will likely get fixed, do note that there is a huge update to CUE coming soon and thats where the focus has kind of been, cant say much more than that but its worth the wait!!

Same issues here with my K65 RGB. Updated firmware and CUE, then CUE would just freeze. Was able to downgrade my firmware to 1.30 and CUE remains updated with everything working now. It keeps telling me to update to 2.04 but I am very hesitant now because it took me over an hour to finally get the keyboard recognized so I could downgrade the firmware.

You can grab firmware 1.30 from here along with older versions of CUE if needed. Even though it says you need fw 1.33 or higher for 1.16.42, I am running the latest version of CUE with fw 1.30 without any problems.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472

It will likely get fixed, do note that there is a huge update to CUE coming soon and thats where the focus has kind of been, cant say much more than that but its worth the wait!!

So the focus was on CUE, ok, so why even bother to release not tested, not working FW? Can't really understand it at all.

So the focus was on CUE, ok, so why even bother to release not tested, not working FW? Can't really understand it at all.

Exactly, was a huge waste of my time trying to get a functional keyboard again. Now CUE tells me I need to update my firmware every half hour or so.

Are you aware, that in those words, you just confirmed, that us customers, who spent their hard earned money, are no more than beta testers for you?

As I read, what you wrote:

"we release something, not even bothering to test it. You naive people install it, because we tell you so, by nagging you all the time. Then you are asked to describe every single detail of malfunction, log etc. so that we have database. Free of charge. Even better you dear customer, paid to be our beta tester. At the end we tell you, that it is for your own good."

You are actually pushing your job onto us, customers. You have some nerve mister, to write it right into our faces...

Are you aware, that in those words, you just confirmed, that us customers, who spent their hard earned money, are no more than beta testers for you?

As I read, what you wrote:

"we release something, not even bothering to test it. You naive people install it, because we tell you so, by nagging you all the time. Then you are asked to describe every single detail of malfunction, log etc. so that we have database. Free of charge. Even better you dear customer, paid to be our beta tester. At the end we tell you, that it is for your own good."

You are actually pushing your job onto us, customers. You have some nerve mister, to write it right into our faces...

You just twisted his whole post.

Of course they test things before releasing them, but there are so many possible hardware configurations for a computer nowadays that it is impossible to test them all. When an issue arises (like this one) providing the system specs can help them reproduce the issue, and if they can reproduce they can track it down much faster and better.

You just twisted his whole post.

Of course they test things before releasing them, but there are so many possible hardware configurations for a computer nowadays that it is impossible to test them all. When an issue arises (like this one) providing the system specs can help them reproduce the issue, and if they can reproduce they can track it down much faster and better.

So you claim that USB 3.0 standard has so many possible configurations that it is simply not possible to test it? Standard has that feature, that is independend from manufacturer. In general you have some good points, but what you wrote, sounds to me like...

"oh there are so many electrical sockets in the market, so that it is impossible to test all possibilities, how should they know, what voltage is in there".... doh

I still dare to claim that this piece of.... software they call FW is not tested properly.

EDIT:

And even more funny. As much as I would agree with you in any other case.

here, it is keyboard, which go bonkers on USB 3.0. Connecting another Corsair peripheral, makes both of them die. I am not connecting anything from competition. Nothing "unbranded". I am connecting another thing from Corsair, it even uses the same software.... And you say that there is some strange configuration, that could have not been tested. Ehh

EDIT2:

And assuming you are right. Let's say we are not beta testers. Why we can not roll back FW? Please I am very curious, why I can not go back to latest working FW?

I just have this issue after firmware update: demo mode has gone.

I connected K70 RGB to an USB 2.0 and now, as I give current to pc, keyboard lits in mode saved on memory, while before update it stayed dark as demo mode start or I boot the pc.

So you claim that USB 3.0 standard has so many possible configurations that it is simply not possible to test it? Standard has that feature, that is independend from manufacturer. In general you have some good points, but what you wrote, sounds to me like...

"oh there are so many electrical sockets in the market, so that it is impossible to test all possibilities, how should they know, what voltage is in there".... doh

I still dare to claim that this piece of.... software they call FW is not tested properly.

EDIT:

And even more funny. As much as I would agree with you in any other case.

here, it is keyboard, which go bonkers on USB 3.0. Connecting another Corsair peripheral, makes both of them die. I am not connecting anything from competition. Nothing "unbranded". I am connecting another thing from Corsair, it even uses the same software.... And you say that there is some strange configuration, that could have not been tested. Ehh

EDIT2:

And assuming you are right. Let's say we are not beta testers. Why we can not roll back FW? Please I am very curious, why I can not go back to latest working FW?

Wow, way to go. You twist any reply to suit your needs. I guess that being a developer myself I understand where they come from, and I am more used to these kind of "configuration issues" ::pirate::

While USB specifics are "standard", manufacturers unfortunately implement them the way they want (most times). Sometimes a USB 2.0 port provides way more power than what the specifics state and I've seen people that said using only 1 USB 2.0 port was okay, using 2 ports crashed the keyboard. In their case with 2 ports plugged the keyboard was getting too much power because the ports were providing way over the specifics limit.

Corsair needs to tweaks the FW for those cases too, there have been many other cases of similar issues (like the long boot one) which depend on the motherboard or chipset used (asmedia usb controllers tend to be worse for example). In an ideal world everyone would implement everything properly following the specifics, we do not live in such a nice world unfortunately.

Regarding your "both of them die" issue: on my (old) motherboard I have the same issue. I still have a couple of USB 2.0 ports I can use but if I ever try to plug anything in them (be it a Corsair product or not) everything stops working properly. This happens because unfortunately my motherboard has a limit on the bandwidth for those ports, and being quite old (6+ years) that's even worse compared to newer motherboards with more bandwidth, PCIE lanes and everything else involved.

Regarding the older FW, I have seen many peoples say they asked (nicely) for it in a ticket and they were provided the file for a previous FW version. Of course I'm not talking about the newest 2.04 FW but it happened in the past too with other versions/devices, for example with that FW 2.01 update for the Scimitar that didn't work on the P58 chipset. That update made the mouse not be recognized by those specific motherboards for the first 5-6 minutes. They later fixed it with a new version, but it takes time to research and implement such changes. That's all I'm saying :):

I've seen people that said using only 1 USB 2.0 port was okay, using 2 ports crashed the keyboard. In their case with 2 ports plugged the keyboard was getting too much power because the ports were providing way over the specifics limit.

Too much power ? Really ?

I'm pretty upset tonight.... Updated my firmware because why not. Well I'm one the lucky few who bought a K70 RGB and M65 RGB. Mouse glitches and clips all over the place. Keyboard locks up, lights not responding as normal. I can't keep both set to 1ms or else one or both devices stops showing in CUE.

I now can't update firmware without having only one plugged in to USB 3.0 at a time.

I've downgraded my K70 to 1.30 and at least I can type. Still shows malfunction in CUE since the mouse is conflicting. If I quit CUE my devices function but not with all the lighting or features like game/program dpi changes or macros.

I was going to play some tonight but my lapse in thinking a firmware update must be a good thing... HAHA GG. Thanks for not posting the M65 firmware so I can at least have correctly working gaming mouse again.

You can grab firmware 1.30 from here along with older versions of CUE if needed. Even though it says you need fw 1.33 or higher for 1.16.42, I am running the latest version of CUE with fw 1.30 without any problems.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138472

I don't see where to get the firmware if I follow that link...

---

EDIT: Nevermind, my eye didn't catch it intermixed with the CUE downloads. Ignore me.

Yea... I would certainly hope that in today's electronics there is some sort of voltage regulator in everything.

The use of two USB ports, rather than one, can't provide any more than 5 volts.

The use of 2 USB ports rather than one can provide twice the current, but that's irrelevant.

Archived