The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
z999z3mystorys's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395835
z999z3mystorys Reputation: 10
Default Curious about future proucts and what ram specs are most important.

I'll start with the ram, I know, speed and timings are the big thing when looking at levels of Ram performance, Voltage and Single/duel/triple channel memory are important for compatibility and performance, and tat all Desktop ram I look at seems to be ECC unbuffered Ram.

What I don't know is the tie-breaker here, say I have two sets of
1600 mhz 8-8-8-24 tri-channel ECC Unbuffered Ram with heat spreaders both sets are 2GBx3. Does it make sense to go with the lower priced one, or are there some hidden factors that should be considered, or is price and brand reputation all I have to go on?

As for future products, is there any way we can get a look at what might be coming out in the future? say a 256GB SSD, a 1200w PSU, or 1600mhz i7 Ram with timings of 7-7-7-20 ish or so?

In short does Corsair release info about what they are working on?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395860
Wired Reputation: 32

They're NOT ECC. Not much ECC around nowadays.

Corsair only releases info about new products in press releases.

As for whose memory to buy, that's up to you, but I'd bet most people around here would say Corsair :)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395870
DerekT Reputation: 10

I'm kind'a partial to mine.

The i7 Core is Intel SPec at 1:1 with 1066Mhz memory. Anything greater than 1066 is greater than a 1:1 relationship is beneficial though. It depends where you dram the performance line. For most people, I would say that i7 and 1333C9 will be more than fast enough and those that want a snappier system, they would rather have the 1600C8 modules. I have used these modules, installed them on systems and you can be sure it is fast on i7.

I believe that until the SSD technology improves it will not become very useful. I'm waiting for better speeds and control methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
but I'd bet most people around here would say Corsair :)

Last edited by DerekT; 03-28-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 AM
z999z3mystorys's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395885
z999z3mystorys Reputation: 10

Ah sorry about that, I mean non-ECC, ECC status is so rarely listed in specs that I tend to forget.

Anyway I guess I'm wishing for an excuse to switch from my non-corsair Ram to Corsair Ram, but I guess $150 (minus what I can sell the old Ram for) or so for better looking ram and that warm fuzzy feeling is a bit outside my budget.

Sadly their where two things I was cheap on, the PSU and Ram (The PSU has been replace with a high quality one with a brand I like now, but my ram is still the one I got because it was cheaper without much regards to brand, not that it's a no-name brand, it's just not corsair :) )
Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 395918
DerekT Reputation: 10

You are still running fast as fast can be anyway. Don't worry about the brand. Just enjoy your system. It's no slouch at any rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z999z3mystorys View Post
Ah sorry about that, I mean non-ECC, ECC status is so rarely listed in specs that I tend to forget.

Anyway I guess I'm wishing for an excuse to switch from my non-corsair Ram to Corsair Ram, but I guess $150 (minus what I can sell the old Ram for) or so for better looking ram and that warm fuzzy feeling is a bit outside my budget.

Sadly their where two things I was cheap on, the PSU and Ram (The PSU has been replace with a high quality one with a brand I like now, but my ram is still the one I got because it was cheaper without much regards to brand, not that it's a no-name brand, it's just not corsair :) )