Corsair Community

HD120 fan inquiry

xdt422

How do I make my HD120 fans look like they do on the box? I've only be able to have them cycle through pre-set colors and patterns with the controller included in the 3 fan kit. I read online that the Lighting Node PRO or the Commander PRO is required? I have looked over the box and no where does it say that either of those are needed. Am I missing something here, like some software/firmware update or has Corsair failed to disclose that additional hardware is required to achieve this look like advertised on the box?

The Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro is not required for the unit to function. You get the basic colors and patterns with the physical remote. However, no physical controller will offer the same levels of customization a software interface can and for that, you need the LNP or C-Pro.

The color shown on the box is "Rainbow Wave". It has been too long and I don't remember if that pattern was on the scroll list or not. However, if you are going to get into the RGB fan stuff, ultimately you are going to want software control. It is worth it for the brightness adjustment alone.

has Corsair failed to disclose that additional hardware is required to achieve this look like advertised on the box?

No.....

The very last mode on the button controller is the rainbow mode on the box.. As said above. That kit is supplied with everything needed to make it work.. yes there are optional extras.. but I don't feel corsair has pushed these on to you... they have left it up to you to research the product your about to buy and decide if you want to spend more money on extra features and options....

Sorry you are disappointed buddy but best advice I can offer is.. fully research a product before you buy it.... saves an disappointments further down the line.....

Talking about further down the line... feel free to click the green text in my signature below... it's an RGB/LINK Faq/help thread... may arm you with further information for future purchases. Please don't ask questions there though... come back here or start a new thread in the correct section for the devices in question....

I understand we live in a world with easy access to Internet for research, but research shouldn't be required before buying something. I was at the store set to buy regular LED fans, but the packaging caught my eye and thought they'd look pretty nice. I read over the box and assumed I would be able to set different colors at the same time because it has "12 independent LEDs" and the photo of the fan on the box. But when I got home and went through the modes I was pretty bummed with what I got. I watched some YouTube videos and found out I need the Lighting Node or Commander to get the colors I wanted.

When they show photos of "what the product can do" without indicating that additional hardware is required to achieve that, I feel like that's false advertisement. There's a reason why products have fine print and this one failed to have any. Even the single HD120 fan pack stats additional hardware is required, but there isn't anything of that sort for the 3 fan pack.

Pretty sure from a legal standpoint, this is false advertisement with failure to disclose, which is consumer fraud. Easy class action lawsuit.

I understand we live in a world with easy access to Internet for research, but research shouldn't be required before buying something. I was at the store set to buy regular LED fans, but the packaging caught my eye and thought they'd look pretty nice. I read over the box and assumed I would be able to set different colors at the same time because it has "12 independent LEDs" and the photo of the fan on the box. But when I got home and went through the modes I was pretty bummed with what I got. I watched some YouTube videos and found out I need the Lighting Node or Commander to get the colors I wanted.

When they show photos of "what the product can do" without indicating that additional hardware is required to achieve that, I feel like that's false advertisement. There's a reason why products have fine print and this one failed to have any. Even the single HD120 fan pack stats additional hardware is required, but there isn't anything of that sort for the 3 fan pack.

Pretty sure from a legal standpoint, this is false advertisement with failure to disclose, which is consumer fraud. Easy class action lawsuit.

Good luck with that class action suit. I don't think you have much of a case but then, I'm not a lawyer either. It doesn't sound like you are either.

Now ... personally, I've more frequently regretted impulse buys than anything else. So I don't do it anymore. And there's no reason for them anymore. Even in store, you can use your phone to Google reviews. Yeah, I'm that guy that will stand in the aisle looking at reviews before I buy something.

But I guess that's something that comes with being a crusty old fart.

Archived