Corsair Community

Is a Commander pro necessary if I get a platinum version of a Corsair AIO cooler?

toben67

Hi I'm about to build a PC using the Lian Li O11d XL, and I want to have 6 Corsair QL RGB 120mm RGB fans, and 4 Corsair LL RGB 120mm fans - 10 RGB fans in total. I plan on getting the Corsair H100i RGB platinum. My question is if I can use a PWM splitter to control all the speeds of my fans and RGB in the iCue software. The setup would be kind of like the one in the picture.

L1TFfhp.png

If that is not fully possible will I be able to control all 10 fans on my motherboard, ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A, which has 8 4-pin fan headers and 2 usb 2.0 internal headers. I think I will need an internal usb hub, but some sort of pwm fan splitter for all 10 fans. I mainly don't want to get the Commander pro as I'm pretty sure I would need 2 which would be incredibly expensive.

one of mine that......

yep you could do all the above dude, just remember anything on pwm hubs only appears as a single fan in bios/software.. make sure you check power draw if using cable splitters....

Not all of your MB headers will be useful. Some of them are duplicates (OPT) or otherwise restricted in function (AIO, W_Pump). Even when unlocked, the control options may not be what you want. The platinum has a 2 fan controller for the two on the radiator. That will reduce the total that need to be on the PWM hub or elsewhere to 8. The Platinum cooler will not need to be connected to the PWM hub and it offers no control through that wire. It's a safety device to let the MB know there is a working cooler in place when on CPU fan. Otherwise, it simply reports a pump speed to the BIOS, information you will get from iCUE anyway.

You will also need another lighting controller for the 4 LL (RGB Lighting Hub + LNP or Commander) or they can also run from the Core device if have another from the QL multi-packs.

The Platinum cooler will not need to be connected to the PWM hub and it offers no control through that wire.

Does do lol. you have individual fan control on the Platinum cooler. more than possible to run pwm hubs off of its headers and control the fans on that hub as a single fan in icue... seems a few have chosen to do this in Corsairs Cases that come with those 678c repeater hubs once they add a cooler ;). cheaper way to do things for those avoiding the Commander Pro....

Personally.. get the Commander Pro,,,

You will also need another lighting controller for the 4 LL (RGB Lighting Hub + LNP or Commander) or they can also run from the Core device if have another from the QL multi-packs.

Yeah since I'm getting the 3 pack I'll have 2 lighting node cores. I plan on plugging all 6 of my QL in one lighting node and 4 into the other.

Does do lol. you have individual fan control on the Platinum cooler. more than possible to run pwm hubs off of its headers and control the fans on that hub as a single fan in icue... seems a few have chosen to do this in Corsairs Cases that come with those 678c repeater hubs once they add a cooler ;). cheaper way to do things for those avoiding the Commander Pro....

Personally.. get the Commander Pro,,,

So what I'm understanding is that if I were to plug all of my fans into one fan hub it would only appear as one fan on my Bios / iCue and I wouldn't be able to individually control each fan? If I however plug each fan to a pwm on my Motherboard I can control each fan on my Bios, right?

Yes, the PWM hub will show as 1 fan and all fans on that circuit will run the same speed and follow the control curve of whichever MB or Commander header you connect the main control lead to.

In theory, you have independent control for each of your MB headers. However, you have to read the fine print in the manual and these headers on Asus boards are not always freely controlled. You will not have independent control over OPT. It does whatever CPU fan does. CPU fan is limited to CPU temp control only and is intended for an air cooler. It has limited use as case fan controller. Sometimes the AIO header can be re-purposed to act like the chassis fan header it used to be. Sometimes not. I don't know how much control the m.2 header offers. These things vary not only by series, but within the model range as well. A Strix may not have the same options as an Extreme. The specs still list 6, so even if you were able to make use of all of them that still means you need PWM splitters for each header. I think the PWM hub or Commander makes more sense and offers better control options. You aren't going to be running those banks of 3 fans on the bottom/top/side at different speeds anyway.