Corsair Community

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX High Pitched Noise Under Load

BiGxSHOOTER

Hello everyone,

I have a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX power supply that I recently bought and I have been using it for about 2 weeks. I just noticed that when I play games, it makes a constant high pitched screechy noise. The more power hungry the game is, the louder it is. Is there possibly something wrong with it and should I RMA it with Corsair? Can't RMA with newegg because I cut out the UPC code for the mail-in-rebate. :[pouts:

It sounds like coil whine which is not uncommon with some video cards that draw a lot of power or when under a heavy load. However it shouldn't be so loud that is is a bother or something you can hear with your case closed.

With that said I would return or RMA that unit . If you are still within your resellers time frame for returns, I would start there. If not, I would use the link on the left to request an RMA

So you think I should RMA the Power Supply for a coil whine? I'm not familiar with coil whines so what are the risks of keeping a power supply with coil whines?

Another related question: My CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX power supply fan rarely spins! Only times I have see it spin is when I first power on my computer, and that is for a few seconds and also once when playing Assassin's Creed 3 but that was very brief as well.

I turn everything on high with Assassin's Creed 3 and when my video card is at ~70C, my power supply still decides it doesn't want to spin and that makes me worry.

After a couple hours of playing, my game glitches out and my video drivers crash and when I try to play again, It crashes within 10-20 seconds. Leads me to believe my PSU is overheating and there's nothing I can do about it.

• Corsair Employee

The fan will turn on and off as needed to keep the PSU bellow 49 Deg C.

I would set the system up where you can see the fan and run 3D Mark in a loot and Prime 95 at the same time that will max out the system and you should see the fan turn on and off.

I will test the fan RAM GUY, but should I be worried about that "Coil Whine". It becomes more and more audible the more power my computer demands in games/applications. It's somewhat audible in a game like assassin's creed 3 before the fans pick up speed. I can also hear it when I run the GPU-Z Render test.

I tested the power supply in another computer and it "whined" just like my newly built one using GPU-Z Render test.

• Corsair Employee
Coil wine can be caused by a lot of different things from a Video card driver or firmware to an external grounding issue. In fact I have a system that wines every time my refrigerator runs. So in my case its not the PSU but feed back from another appliance. And I would try the settings listed under the Noisy PSU sticky

Archived