Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX + Asus P6T Deluxe + i7 920 upgrade path

kyle0r

Hi there,

TL;DR: I want to upgrade my RAM >=8GB and hopfully incorperate my existing DIMM's. Details below.

I've searched the forums and there are similar questions to mine, but no specific answers for my situation. I didn't spot any current threads. So here goes!

I'm looking for RAM upgrade path(s) for my system. I'm starting max out my 4GB kit. Here is my configurator result.

I would like to upgrade to a minimum of 8GB.

My system specs are filled out and accurate. I have the kit running stable at 1600. My i7 is rock solid overclocked to 3.4Ghz.. The system has been stable like this for months.

My RAM Kit: TW3X4G1600C9DHX

The DIMM's: CM3X2G1600C9DHX

Please see the attached grabs for more details on the system/ram.

The P6T Deluxe has: 6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)*/1800(O.C.)*/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory, Triple channel memory architecture

It would be good to have a few options. I know its not recommended to mix, but please suggest anyway!

• The most cost effective way to get >= 8GB (incorporating existing dimms)
  • The most stable way to get >= 8GB (money no object)
  • The highest performance (money no object)

I'm a little stuck... because the configurator result doesn't suggest an obvious cost effective upgrade path to incorporate my existing kit. From my understanding, due to the old kit being 2 DIMM's and the current recommended kit being 3, total = 5 = not going to work?

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=743469

I like the look of CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 (12GB Kit (3 x 4GB). However I'm near dead certain this won't play well with my existing kit. I'm guessing this might be my best option and sell the existing kit? Here is the CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 on my local Amazon. Seems good value.

I could really do with some advice! :idea: :idea:

Cheers

518057280_21-01-201215-50-02.thumb.jpg.8e50db7d1134db3775d58c0c5bf78114.jpg

Sorry, we can suggest anything to be paired with what you have now. there is no way to know if they will run with your existing memory.

Your best bet is to just purchase a matched 8 gig kit so all modules are matched and tested to run with each other.

I like the look of CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 (12GB Kit (3 x 4GB)

These would be great ! Just use them alone and NOT mixed with your old memory.

Thanks for your answer peanutz. I understand there is no-way to say if those DIMM's will work together.

I guess I was hoping someone might come along and say "its working for me" :) or it *should* work.

From an overall memory configuration, it would seem that the triple channel the best performing option for my hardware?

Wikipedia suggests that the X58 arch doesn't to tripple channel, but also suggest that the X58 doesn't have a memory controller, so wtf Dr. Wiki.

My MB handbook suggests that tripple channel is possible, as do the logical channel markings on the physical board.

Google suggests triple channel should be fine, but that the X58 arch can be sensitive to it. As documented on ASUS forums.

hummmmmm

I guess I was hoping someone might come along and say "its working for me" :) or it *should* work.

Thats just it, there is nothing that says it will or should work apart from physical construction. Even if it does for some one else that does not mean it will work on your system.

From an overall memory configuration, it would seem that the triple channel the best performing option for my hardware?

With your CPU, yes triple channel kits are what you are after. If you run anything less than 3 or 6 sticks you would be loosing performance.

Wikipedia suggests that the X58 arch doesn't to tripple channel, but also suggest that the X58 doesn't have a memory controller, so wtf Dr. Wiki.

Thats wrong. X58 CPU have their memory controller built into the cpu itself. And all X58 CPU's run triple channel memory configuration.

My MB handbook suggests that tripple channel is possible, as do the logical channel markings on the physical board.

Google suggests triple channel should be fine, but that the X58 arch can be sensitive to it. As documented on ASUS forums.

Again, X58 is triple channel. You would not want anything else. And as far as the link to the asus thread goes, we have basically the same sticky here. It's not that X58 does not like triple channel , it sometimes does not detect the correct amount of memory. But that has been seen on a few platforms and is not limited to just x58. But p55, h55, and h57 chipsets are also prone to this.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about using different DIMMS. I'm just trying to suggest the easiest most direct route to an upgrade path with the least amount of possible issues. If you spend enough time here you would see the trouble alot of users run into when mixing memory. It's not worth the time or the money it could potentially end up costing you in the long run.

If you buy a matched kit then you are guaranteed that your memory kit will run at rated speeds for the life of the kit.

If you choose to mix kits and have trouble you have just thrown that guarantee out the window as there is no way to guarantee rated speeds or correct operation with non matched /tested modules.

So after much deliberation and research, I've ordered some RAM... Kudos to everyone who helped me out here, including peanutz94 and bigingo!

I've decided to retire my existing kit and fit Vengeance® — 24GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9). This will max out my boards DIMM slots and RAM capacity.

Having read a few sources that suggest this kit should work without major issues in my board, I'm looking forward to not running out of RAM for a while, running lots of VM's and being able to allocate super fast memory as RAM-drives for stuff i want running super quick.

Another Corsair customer, bigingo, kindly advised me on his success with mixing his TW3X4G1600C9DHX kit, and I nearly followed in his footsteps. Given the value of the 24GB kit and warnings on mixing kits, it ended up being a bit of a no-brainer.

I also picked up a RAM cooler, for added stability.

I will report the results of the upgrade in due course.

:sunglasse

Those should work fine with the combo. Just do not be surprised if you need to put the voltage to 1.65v wit them anyway. And QPI will need to be adjusted as well to deal with the load on the memory controller. But thats not a big deal.

If you do need help when you get your new kit up and running just post back.

Good Luck!

RAM kit and cooler arrived today. Now installed. I recorded the install, so will share that at some stage.

4GB removed and 24 GB installed. See screenshots. That looks right to me?

Lucky **** just worked, perhaps because of my existing overclock settings.

BIOS post settings and values looked as expected @ 1600.

Aside from running a memtest tonight and perhaps a LinX bench, things seems stable. I get the feeling things are snappier.

1153054558_31-01-201215-10-07.thumb.png.f2699a18d3955fd025d2877a4e1b119e.png

106133922_31-01-201215-13-45.thumb.png.16c261f857cd973693eb5c656bbe186f.png

Yup, they are running at 1600mhz! You should be good to go!
Thanks for double checking for me! I can't tell exactly what gives it away on the CPU-Z screenshot but I trust the BIOS is telling me the truth!

Here is the install vid I threw together. Enjoy (it includes a quick peek at the BIOS/POST).

Thank you all, for your guidance and input in this process! :) :)

Yeah sure, here's my settings. It's not an unlocked chip, but i do have a my system under water. That made it possible for me to keep the CPU cool enough to keep it stable at that frequencie. . I also have a RAM water block that covers all 6 dimms. :)

Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]

CPU Ratio Setting......................[21.0]

Intel® SpeedStep Tech............[Disabled]

Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]

BCLK Frequency.........................[215]

PCIE Frequency.........................[100]

DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1505MHz]

UCLK Frequency.........................[3448MHz]

QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]

CPU Voltage............................[1.41250]

CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.80]

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.45]

IOH Voltage............................[1.14]

IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]

ICH Voltage............................[1.20]

ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]

DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.64]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled]

CPU Differential Amplitude.............[800mV]

CPU Clock Skew.........................[Delay 300ps]

CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled]

IOH Clock Skew.........................[Auto]

PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled]

C1E Support............................[Disabled]

Hardware Prefetcher....................[Enabled]

Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[Enabled]

Intel® Virtualization Tech...........[Disabled]

CPU TM Function........................[Enabled]

Execute Disable Bit....................[Enabled]

Intel® HT Technology.................[Disabled]

Active Processor Cores.................[All]

A20M...................................[Disabled]

Intel® SpeedStep Tech............[Disabled]

Intel® C-STATE Tech..................[Disabled]

Keep in mind you have a different MB and every CPU is different. Your 920 may not be able to hit 4.5 like mine does. Actually i have seen very few 920's run stable above 4.2. So i guess there is a bit of luck involved as well!

And if you notice i had to underclock the RAM just a wee bit. But it doesn't make any noticeable difference. It smokes through anything i do with it. All in all im still pretty happy with it even being two years old.:biggrin:

Baaawk Baaawk, :D:

Just kidding Peanut!:cool:

ROFLMBO Yeah I am! But if your willing to supply the components i'll submerge one in Italian dressing if ya want! :p:

I just cant get that mental image of the guy rinsing his brand new components under the bath tub faucet from the PSU forum!

Water going in the fan side of the PSU and rinsing through the back! Just to cleen things up after a hardware issue. / CRINGE

• Corsair Employee

Yea I know what you mean I saw that and was like WTF??? but you know some people either don't know so they dont have those basic limitations instilled in them. Or they are just running through life with "No fear"!

attachment.php?attachmentid=10168&stc=1&d=1328292155

60.jpg.e4a20b2205f5d0810840af75e6f5b03f.jpg

Archived