Corsair Community

680X Radiator Fitment / Commander Pro location

gpotter881

I'm building a new PC based on the Crystal Series 680X white case and am having some trouble with the radiator fitment. I am using an XR5 240 and XR5 360 based on the recommendation of the custom cooling configurator, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the rads to fit in the case. If I install the 240 first, the 360 won't fit and vice versa. I'm using the Custom Cooling Configurator diagram and the reference build PDF doc, but I don't see how this can be made to work - these parts were recommended by the configurator so I assumed they would fit. I'd appreciate some pointers on this please.

Also, I want to locate the Commander Pro behind the white plastic pop off piece on the front to clean up cable management as much as possible. It fits great in the cavity between the plastic piece and the front metal of the case, but I'm curious if this will have enough air flow to keep the Commander Pro cool. How much airflow does it need?

Thanks!

gpotter881

I suspect you are trying to mount the 360mm radiator behind the front fans with those on the glass side. That pushes the taller radiator into the interior of the case. Most people are not going to like the solution of putting the radiator on the front and the fans behind.

However, since the top is capable of a holding a 280mm, you should be able to slide the 240 back to create more space. A potential casualty in that maneuver may be the rear fan. That tends to be a more valuable one, so there is another option.

Move the 240 to the bottom of the case. There you likely can move it all the way back and not lose anything. It also makes for an easier thermal flow with both radiators as intake, then top/rear exhaust fans won't ever need more than a moderate speed.

I suggest you do not tuck the Commander Pro in between the paneling. It is one of the warmer things in my case and can easily reach the upper 30s - the same as my RAM and motherboard in a full water set-up. While it does not need active cooling, stuffing it into a crammed space seems to be inviting trouble. There is a lot of room in the back half of the 680 to stick it somewhere. The shot below is with the C-Pro hanging out the back of my case (literally) in a 25C room. Possible I have been warmer than this when in the 740's identical rear chamber and above the PSU.

ieehdlmsajyh7s56g.jpg

Edited by c-attack

I got it to fit by removing some of the screws so the top rad could slide towards the rear more. It would've been nice to be able to use all of the mounting points. I saw another post making some recommended changes to the 680X - I agree. There needs to be a version 2 that takes into account for Corsair's custom cooling product line better.

I may put a fan on the Commander Pro rather than move it. I'd prefer to hear a little fan noise than to have all of that wiring visible when it can easily be hidden. We'll see - it's not set in stone and is easily moved if I can't work out a cooling solution.

Thanks for your help.

gpotter881

You should be fine with less than maximal screw points. I certainly don’t use 12 mounting points on my top 360mm. I think you lost me on the C-Pro’s location. It’s not in the PSU side somewhere?

The 680x is really a 740 with some clear external changes, but the same underlying frame. I prefer 280/140mm size radiators for that model because they can go in every position and the case is wide. I also would like to see a future “940” (or whatever they call it) that is multi 360mm capable with the dual chamber design.

The CP is behind the front panel that pops off. I took you advice and set it up where it can get passive airflow through the screw slots. I had previously blocked those with the fan hub. I moved it back into the PSU chamber in it's stock location. Wiring turned out nice. I'm just finishing the build today. Hopefully coolant tomorrow and then fun for the weekend!

gpotter881