Corsair Community

Fast startup issue with H115i Pro RGB

DanielP

I installed an H115i Pro RGB into my ROG Maximus X Pro, windows 10 64-bit machine. I had an issue with the computer black-screening me on startup after a cold boot.

After much head scratching I traced the problem to Windows fast startup in the power options. After disabling this the computer works perfectly.

As this is an odd problem with an obscure solution, I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem. As the only change to the system was the installation of the cooling (and subsequent adjustment of the BIOS) I can only think the water cooler or its software was at fault. I just can't figure out why. Fast startup worked perfectly with my old air cooler. I do use the automatic overclocking mode, so that may be to blame.

Windows had the latest feature update installed about the same time so it could be a problem with that. Has anyone else experienced boot issues after installing the H115i Pro? If so, try disabling fast startup.

I hope this helps other users.

"Fast startup" in Windows Power Settings is really kernel hibernation (with a fast SSD it isn't really much faster, especially if you have lots of memory). Note that many desktop systems will have problems with hibernation by default. Also, certain drivers, most recently from Nvidia, for example, are causing problems with it. Usually it's best to turn it off on a desktop (and hibernation in general, too, to save disk space). Not sure if iCue has problems with hibernation and/or sleep, but if it does, it might be worth investigating nonetheless.

Archived