Corsair Community

GS800 being loud

Oznerol256

My new GS800 makes this floppy-drive sound when the temperature control can't decide wheather to turn on or turn off the fan. Same Problem as in this Video:

These is also something else: I noticed some humming while the PC is turned off. It is not very loud, but if you are trying to sleep in the same room after a few minutes you notice it and you can't sleep with that noise. I am currently unplugging the computer every evening (well, the power button on the PSU does work too)

I would do an replacement but i want to be sure that new new one doesn't have these problems. Downtime isn't nice either but i would live with that if these noise sources are being fixed.

• Corsair Employee
Please submit the RMA request using the link on the left and let me know the case number and I or our customer service will contact you and tell you how to precede to get a unit that does not have this symptom.

• Corsair Employee
That is actually normal for this model as they support fan-less operation and will turn the fan on and off as needed, causing the noise you hear. However I have sent a message and asked them to replace the unit for you so they should contact you in the next 24-48 hours with a replacement option.

Really? i think a fanless PSU should operate completely silent right? This is espacially true if the Computer is turned off. My PSU emits a sound like many old transformators do but at much higher frequency. It is quiet. You have to get close with your ears and listen carefully, but if everything in the room is noiseless (because you are trying to sleep) you will notice the sound even if the computer is located at the other corner of the room. The high frequency manages to keep you from sleeping.

Is this normal for the GS800 series? Or even normal for PSU's with higher wattage? The PSU in my old computer, a 250W PSU from a Medion PC operates absolutely silent when the PC is off.

• Corsair Employee
No that does not sound normal, but more like a coil wine issue which even though it is coming from the PSU may not be caused by the PSU. But please proceed with the RMA and we can replace it. But I would check the Ground where you have the system plugged in and make sure its making a proper ground if not that can cause the Noise you have described.

I unplugged all hardware components and tested again:

The coil wine is still there.

I plugged the PSU to the power point where the Medion PC is plugged in. The PSU still emitting that sound. I also tested a different Power Cable which didn't change anything. I think there is something wrong with the PSU, right?

The lastet Email (RMA Approved) seems to be auto-generated and doesn't contain any instructions.

We have received & approved your online RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) request and will e-mail your confirmation RMA number along with return instructions within 24 hours.

No, they didn't answer yet.

• Corsair Employee
I just spoke to them and they are working on your case at the moment and will send you a prepaid shipping label to return the unit, but if you want to request an advanced RMA to limit the down time I am sorry but you would need to call them by phone to make those arrangements. The number is listed under contact on the main site and you can call the Toll free number using SKYPE for free.

They answered. They said a TNT Express will come and pick up my GS800. After the PSU arrived at Corsair they will send me a HX850. A very nice PSU! I guess that PSU will operate absolutely noiseless as this thing is a high-end unit and costs around 150€. 80+ Gold, semi-modular cable design and also a 140mm fan that will only run if needed. I hope this fan will start and stop without emitting sounds.

I have only one problem with this unit: It is not illuminated at all. I guess there isn't any chance to illuminate the HX850? It will be a bit hard to see anything trough my case's window. Anyway, i think a LED flexlight will solve that problem.

• 1 month later...

The new PSU finally arrived! The problem is that it is again an GS800. I dont know why because you and the guys at the return department wrote i will get a HX850. The new GS800 is emitting this also emitting this coil whine. It is a much lower noise and it is even more quiet than the old one. I consider this as quiet enough. The fan problem is also solved. However, when the computer is operating the PSU is emitting a very annoying sound. It is a sort of "ticking". It is always there whether the fan is operating or not. The ticking is louder than all fans of the computer. If the computer is turned off the PSU stopps emitting that sound.

What to do now? I prefer a refund! Is that possible?

If not, i hope it is possible to get a quiet PSU as replacement? I think the HX850 would be quiet as the GS800 should be?

I dont care about one week downtime. The delivery of this PSU took more than 3 weeks! I dont want such a long downtime again.

I hope you can do something for me.

Archived