Corsair Community

More fan speed problems

grimrod42

I like the product after a couple months of usage but 1.2.5 kind of broke things for me.

Fan speeds are all over place and no longer accurate.

and the software which never started by itself at least under 1.2.3 it controlled the fans at start

now I have to manually start it

not sure which firmware I'm using

thanks

• Corsair Employee

So for the Picture you posted it is set to the CPU and will only control the fan on the H80 and I would suggest as you have it connected the H80 fan connected to the H80 if I understand you correctly.

This however is an issue we are looking into and it is known and as I understand it will be addressed in the next release.

and the software which never started by itself at least under 1.2.3 it controlled the fans at start

now I have to manually start it

Yes, I had a custom control profile for one H80 fan plugged into the cooling block and the temp input for the profile was the CPU temp as determined from the Intel DX79SI motherboard sensor. The profile I wanted and was using is:

30=800rpm

35=1200rpm

40=1600rpm

45=2000rpm

50=2500rpm

After power down in the evening and powering up in the morning the profile reverted to;

25=1280rpm

28=1484rpm

31=1792rpm

37=1894rpm

40=1996rpm

I had the link commander inputs set for channel 1=cooling control module and channel 2 for the H80.

I tried a couple of things;

changed channels = no effect on symptom

uninstalled corsair link ui and deleted all registry entries and folders associated with corsair = no effect on symptom

reinstalled corsair link = same symptom

Currently with the cpu idle the following conditions are observed with the custom control profile I want to use as noted above.

CPU temp = 32.3

H80 block temp = 30.1

H80 fan rpm = 1738

profile is set to 30 =800rpm, 35=1200rpm

at 32.3 the fan should be at apx 1000rpm if the custom control profile is recognized and the rpm feedback is correct. My unscientific feeling with my hand measurement says its at 1000rpm or less, likely less as I don't feel much air moving out of the case.

I will gladly try any and all suggestions along with logging and screen shots if that is helpful.

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10530

1610479287_customcoolingprofile.thumb.PNG.7b9183fd3d24a6f54476eb086619ebe6.PNG

Original symptom report;

H80 fan/block not reporting proper rpm, not responding as expected to custom control profile, loses custom profile after power cycle. Fan plugged into H80 block.

H80 fan now plugged into fan#5 port on fan/temp module. No fans plugged into H80 block.

H80 fan now reports proper rpm, responds as expected using custom profile, retains custom profile. And best of all-cools Intel i7 3930kCPU as expected both at stock speeds and OC.

Case Pic 447640666_Overview20minutetest.thumb.PNG.905bea3b8cf380ce5fc4d4e9f86203ea.PNG

Logging results 312631590_Temptestcustomprofile.thumb.PNG.3b5c8caae56ca531d5f2b18c5260d51e.PNG

So until a updated version of software or firmware is released I am happy and satisfied.

For those who are not I wish you success with the efforts your are trying.

What brand of fans are you using and how many? Is this specific to port 5? Can you be a little more detailed about your firmware versions, etc. I would like to recreate your setup and see if this works for me and possibly others! Im running 7 fans and only 2 are corsair, the rest are coolmaster. What version of OS ? You might be lucky and have just the right sequence or just lucky, but in case this setup go further then that I would love to try, and possibly make others have a useful product as well. FYI Im running windows 7 64bit and a H100.

Setup=

WIN 7x64 pro

H80 comes with two fans only using one and its the Corsair provided.

Four Scythe SY1225SL12HPVC-V 120mm Case Fan 4pin PWM

Scythe fans are plugged into first four ports of the Corsair cooling module at address 1 firmware v 1.1.12. H80 (single corsair) fan plugged in to same node in port four

H80 is address 2 firmware v 1.1.12

Corsair commander is firmware 1.1.9

I could add four more fans and plug them into my Intel DX79SI motherboard and let intel control them, but I don't need to. Under 100% load 12 threads on the Intel i7 3930k hex core the cpu remains below 60 c as indicated be the attachments to my previous post.

I had been running the same config without any problem but the H80 fan was plugged into the H80 block. Then the new symptom appeared. RPM not accurate (indicated higher the actual) and the custom profile would reset to come obscure numbers when cycling power.

Hope this helps

My fan speeds are still totally out of whack with reality... and now they speed up on some irregular interval, even though its not hotter or working harder

when is the next version coming out? Software and firmware?

how can I know which firmware I am using?

By the way, why do you need 5 case fans? Just curious as I can't imagine that many fans and noise in a case.

Atcually I have 7 and normally its quiet, My cpu is over clocked to 4.3 ghz, have 3 graphic cards, ram overclocked, so to keep my cpu cool I use the push pull system 2 corsair fans pushing and 2 coolmaster pulling, one to cool hardrives and memory, 1 to blow cool air at graphic cards and one exhaust out the back. I do video encoding so my cpu run at 100% sometimes for 4 hours, so I need as much cooling as I can get.;):

I do photo realistic rendering and animation using 3DS Max and know what your talking about having the system run for hours on end at 100%. The box I have with the corsair link is an Intel hex core i7 3930k, I have two other with Intel quad cores i7 920's and those scream when I'm doing network rendering. That's a total of 28 cores at 100%. The quad cores stay in the basement so I don't hear the roar of air moving. The stuff I do is not GPU intensive so I have frame of reference when I asked the question.

Thanks for the info, and I hope, as do others, the link will work as it should.

My fan speeds are still totally out of whack with reality... and now they speed up on some irregular interval, even though its not hotter or working harder

when is the next version coming out? Software and firmware?

how can I know which firmware I am using?

Firmware can be determined from the Corsair UI by clicking on tools>Device Management.

Archived