Corsair Community

460X / 570X + H100i

Pocah

I am thinking about a build with a 460x or 570x and I very specifically want a front mounted H100i ~ replacing the stock fans with the SP120's in the case so that the look of the case is maintained. I have seen this done a number of times, but it concerns me that the cooling may be greatly reduced by replacing the stock H100i fans with the case SP120's. Having said that, everything I have been able to find on this matter seems to indicate that we are only talking a couple of degrees. I know there are a lot of these builds out there, so has anyone any light they can shed on this?

By the way I'm new to the forum so sorry if I've posted this twice or in the wrong forum! :biggrin:

The SP120 RGB LED fans are 3-pin voltage fans and as none of the Corsair coolers support 3-pin voltage fans you should not do this.

The only RGB LED fans that should be used are HD RGB LED fans which are 4-pin PWM, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661

It would be easier to help you if you used http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra

Thank you for your help.

I was planning on converting the Corsair PWM from the pump to voltage control for the SP120 fans. In fact I would drive all the case fans the same way so they are synchronised.

But anyway, whether the fans are SP or HD makes only a small flow difference compared to the H100i stock fans which are almost double the RPM. The main thing that worries me is that by using the SP120 or HD120 I will be severely limiting the H100i.

I suppose it's difficult to answer, just I don't really want to buy a H100i and find out that it's not cooling enough with the SP ( or HD ) fans. I mean really there just aren't many options if it doesn't work. I really don't want to spoil the looks of the case.

• Corsair Employee
The HD and SP RGB fans will be perfectly fine on an H100i V2. We've actually done quite a few builds which featured either version installed in the front with a radiator attached. HD120's would be recommended as previously mentioned since they are PWM and will allow for more control. A Commander Pro will give you optimal control of the fan speed and lighting in either scenario.

The HD and SP RGB fans will be perfectly fine on an H100i V2.

I just read this and am wondering if the H100iV2 is different to the H80iGT, are they and does the H100iV2 support 3-pin voltage fans? If so what is the URL that specifies this please? I don't like to give incorrect advise and I have been unable this information.

I just connected an HD120 RGB LED fan to my H80iGT and that that worked as expected, but when I connected an SP120 RGB LED fan then the speed was 1,380 RPM for both 25% PWM + 100% PWM which is what I would expect when a 3-pin voltage fan is connected to a controller that only supports 4-pin PWM fans.

I felt this might be a fan hotplug detection issue, so I power cycled the H80iGT and the speed was still always about 1380 RPM.

I guess the fan was functioning, but as the speed never changed it was not working as it should do.

My information is based on as follows, though I know my CoolIT H110iGT will actually control 3-pin voltage fans as will my CoolIT H100i.

Neither one officially supports controlling 3-pin fans.

Archived