Corsair Community

Do I need a CoPro?

rgjertsen

I was thinking of buying the 3-pack with QL120s including the LNC. Are there any difference in control if I connect this to a CoPro or directly to an RGB header on my mobo?

Would I be able to control everything with iCue either way?

Start with the RGB FAQ linked in my signature. That'll clear a lot up.

The Lighting Node Core that comes with the QL fans will control the RGB. You won't connect them to the RGB header on your mobo - and iCUE won't control anything connected to the RGB header on your mobo anyway.

CoPro is optional. If you get a CoPro, it'll control fan speeds. The LNC will be connected to the USB port on the CoPro (optionally) but the lights would still be controlled via the LNC. To control them from the CoPro's built-in Lighting Channels, you'd need to get an RGB Fan LED Hub (separately).

That was my main reason for buying the Commander Pro was for the simple fact it would control my fans.

Side Note: I would love to see Corsair include a USB Hum adapter to add more USB plugins for all the corsair devices. As you think about this.

1 Corsair Lighting Node Pro

1 Corsair PSU

1 Corsair AIO

1 Commander Pro

Just that is 4 hubs that you need. The Commander Pro says here is Two now get out of here. Most boards only have two USB plugs on the board. You have to buy an aftermarket one to get it all sorted out.

Corsair, please do the right thing and sell or include a USB Hub adapter to us.

Start with the RGB FAQ linked in my signature. That'll clear a lot up.

The Lighting Node Core that comes with the QL fans will control the RGB. You won't connect them to the RGB header on your mobo - and iCUE won't control anything connected to the RGB header on your mobo anyway.

CoPro is optional. If you get a CoPro, it'll control fan speeds. The LNC will be connected to the USB port on the CoPro (optionally) but the lights would still be controlled via the LNC. To control them from the CoPro's built-in Lighting Channels, you'd need to get an RGB Fan LED Hub (separately).

Ok, so if I understand you correctly the LNC connects to a USB header on my mobo if I don’t use a CoPro?

And then I would have to split the fans by two on each fan header on the mobo?

I know you love the CoPro, but I just want to know my options if I decide to wait a bit with the CoPro to stick to a budget in the first place.

That was my main reason for buying the Commander Pro was for the simple fact it would control my fans.

Side Note: I would love to see Corsair include a USB Hum adapter to add more USB plugins for all the corsair devices. As you think about this.

1 Corsair Lighting Node Pro

1 Corsair PSU

1 Corsair AIO

1 Commander Pro

Just that is 4 hubs that you need. The Commander Pro says here is Two now get out of here. Most boards only have two USB plugs on the board. You have to buy an aftermarket one to get it all sorted out.

Corsair, please do the right thing and sell or include a USB Hub adapter to us.

Maybe the CoPro has only 2 USB ports as the power drawn can exceed the single SATA connection, when combined to 6 fan ports... just a supposition.

If we talk about improvements, I'd also like more fan ports... and even a third LED port could be usefull.

Apart from that... how many RGB stuff are you using in your rig?

I guess lots, as it's the only point in using both a CoPro and a LNP!

Baio

Ok, so if I understand you correctly the LNC connects to a USB header on my mobo if I don’t use a CoPro?

And then I would have to split the fans by two on each fan header on the mobo?

Correct.

I know you love the CoPro, but I just want to know my options if I decide to wait a bit with the CoPro to stick to a budget in the first place.

It's not a question of love, it's just that the CoPro is really the base of every Corsair-based configuration.... I could never image my pc without!

But I also agree with you that budget is budget.

Baio