Corsair Community

Unable to change Fan speeds Commander Pro

deathbox85

First i'll start with an apology if this not the correct area but i cant find a specific discussion for CP.

Installed CP today to get away from using Asus AI Suite for case fan control and use iCue.

I have H150i pro and LNP connected to my CP.

I can control the fan speeds fine for my H150i and LP works fine too.

My fans just run at full speed through CP. I've tried the following:

• Force updating firmware (v0.9.212) - It hangs at 0% constantly
  • Reinstalling iCue (v3.26.95)

any help/advice would be great

Cheers,

On which sensor did you bind your fans to?

Did you try a repair installation instead of an unistall/install cycle?

Which mobo do you have? Maybe the problem is in the USB header, take a deep look at the manual.

Baio

Go the performance tab for the Commander Pro, click + to create a new "cooling mode". This is your custom curve. There should be some new choices besides movable curve points. Fixed % and Fixed RPM. Enter in some low value for both, like 35% and 600 rpm. Do the fan's respond to both control schemes?

The default presets for the C-Pro are based on CPU temperature. It's not a great control variable in most circumstances and it also can put up a false flag in these types of situations where the fans are properly responding because the CPU temp is elevated. Whether or not the CPU temp should be elevated is another matter, but an unfortunate one you have to look at on AMD 3000 CPUs.

[*]Force updating firmware (v0.9.212) - It hangs at 0% constantly

[

That part is concerning. Hopefully the C-pro is still visible in iCUE and not bricked. There are some USB issues between Corsair hardware and x570 motherboards. A lot of people wind up using a 3rd party USB hub to act as intermediary between the two. However, if the device is still there don't force load the firmware anymore. The 0.9xx is the latest version and when the software is running, the firmware is not in control and should not affect the operation. If the above Fixed % and RPM controls do not work, then we have to attack it from this angle after all.

Edited by c-attack

On which sensor did you bind your fans to?

Did you try a repair installation instead of an unistall/install cycle?

Which mobo do you have? Maybe the problem is in the USB header, take a deep look at the manual.

Baio

Fans are default which i assume is CPU package.

I've tried repair on installation, same issue.

Asus Crosshair VII Hero x470, I have 2 USB headers. both have been tried and have same result.

I've tried the custom curves and setting RPM to constant speed/%. Again same issue.

CP seems to still be intact and not bricked, atleast usb hub is still working for H150i and LNP. My mobo is X470 but updated to run 3k series CPU.

I will try with an old USB hub from the same header and see what happens

Go the performance tab for the Commander Pro, click + to create a new "cooling mode". This is your custom curve. There should be some new choices besides movable curve points. Fixed % and Fixed RPM. Enter in some low value for both, like 35% and 600 rpm. Do the fan's respond to both control schemes?

The default presets for the C-Pro are based on CPU temperature. It's not a great control variable in most circumstances and it also can put up a false flag in these types of situations where the fans are properly responding because the CPU temp is elevated. Whether or not the CPU temp should be elevated is another matter, but an unfortunate one you have to look at on AMD 3000 CPUs.

That part is concerning. Hopefully the C-pro is still visible in iCUE and not bricked. There are some USB issues between Corsair hardware and x570 motherboards. A lot of people wind up using a 3rd party USB hub to act as intermediary between the two. However, if the device is still there don't force load the firmware anymore. The 0.9xx is the latest version and when the software is running, the firmware is not in control and should not affect the operation. If the above Fixed % and RPM controls do not work, then we have to attack it from this angle after all.

I've tried the custom curves and setting RPM to constant speed/%. Again same issue.

CP seems to still be intact and not bricked, atleast usb hub is still working for H150i and LNP. My mobo is X470 but updated to run 3k series CPU.

I will try with an old USB hub from the same header and see what happens

***Edit*** Same issue when using hub as intermediary as same header

Edited by deathbox85
Update

So no control at all with fixed % or fixed PWM? It may have glitched during the firmware reload attempt. You can try reloading the firmware through USB intermediary. Another option is to take a USB 9 pin to USB A connector and run it to the back, but not too many people have one of those just lying around.

There is also a pinhole reset on the physical device. That might help. Be aware this will wipe the memory in the C-Pro, so any stored fan curves or hardware lighting patterns on the device will be wiped out. You will be back in rainbow mode after pushing it.

Fans are default which i assume is CPU package.

I've tried repair on installation, same issue.

Asus Crosshair VII Hero x470, I have 2 USB headers. both have been tried and have same result.

Ok, you have my same motherboard (mine is a WiFi, but should not be relevant).

Be aware that Asus did a messy work with USB headers... the one on the left is the good one, the one on the right is just a "half" connector, as it's shared with ROG_EXT header. It's unusable with Corsair products in my experience.

So, first of all I'd plug the CoPro USB cable in the left header, then I'd try the hardware reset as C-attack suggested.

Finally I'd do a repair installation. I know you have tried almost everything but it's just another simple try.

It seems to me your CoPro has been somehow "bricked" during a firmware upgrade, infact it's a strange thing it does not complete the upgrade even now.

If you don't get it back to work, try to open a ticket with Corsair Assistance and see if they can help you somehow... I had a K63 wireless keyboard stuck during a firmware upgrade and they brought back to life.

Baio

So no control at all with fixed % or fixed PWM? It may have glitched during the firmware reload attempt. You can try reloading the firmware through USB intermediary. Another option is to take a USB 9 pin to USB A connector and run it to the back, but not too many people have one of those just lying around.

There is also a pinhole reset on the physical device. That might help. Be aware this will wipe the memory in the C-Pro, so any stored fan curves or hardware lighting patterns on the device will be wiped out. You will be back in rainbow mode after pushing it.

OK, so tried 'external' usb, still the same and resetting via the pin reset resulted in the same issue. all fans run at full regardless.

Ok, you have my same motherboard (mine is a WiFi, but should not be relevant).

Be aware that Asus did a messy work with USB headers... the one on the left is the good one, the one on the right is just a "half" connector, as it's shared with ROG_EXT header. It's unusable with Corsair products in my experience.

So, first of all I'd plug the CoPro USB cable in the left header, then I'd try the hardware reset as C-attack suggested.

Finally I'd do a repair installation. I know you have tried almost everything but it's just another simple try.

It seems to me your CoPro has been somehow "bricked" during a firmware upgrade, infact it's a strange thing it does not complete the upgrade even now.

If you don't get it back to work, try to open a ticket with Corsair Assistance and see if they can help you somehow... I had a K63 wireless keyboard stuck during a firmware upgrade and they brought back to life.

Baio

Yeah using the correct USB header, USB15 is the shared one. Tried the repair on iCue, same result.

I'll open a ticket with Corsair directly and see what they say. I guess the only benefit that atleast they're running at full to keep the case quiet.

Cheers for your help

OK, so tried 'external' usb, still the same and resetting via the pin reset resulted in the same issue. all fans run at full regardless.

This does not seem promising. If it's a new Commander and you have return options, I would take it and get a replacement. That may be faster than doing the same through Corsair.

This does not seem promising. If it's a new Commander and you have return options, I would take it and get a replacement. That may be faster than doing the same through Corsair.

It may have to be RMA to Amazon. I'll wait and see what Corsair come back with, as that's all Amazon will ask me to do if I try to return as faulty.

Cheers for your help

OK. Normally an Amazon Prime exchange is going to be massively faster than other option. However, things are in a rather strange place at the moment. Even with a longer than normal shipping time, Amazon is likely to be the faster option.

I don't know what else can be done with the Commander at this point. If it won't hard reset (pinhole) and can't take a forced firmware update, there aren't any other tools to work with.

It may have to be RMA to Amazon. I'll wait and see what Corsair come back with, as that's all Amazon will ask me to do if I try to return as faulty.

Cheers for your help

I can only report my experience with a K63 keyboard, Corsair and Amazon.

The first got bricked while upgrading the firmware within iCue... it looked like it was completly dead. Opened a chat with Amazon, they made me try something (that didn't work) and sent me a replacement one (it arrived before I sent the broken one back!).

Also the second keyboard got bricked in the same identical way, but this time I opened a ticket with Corsair and they got it back to work (hardware reset via-pinhole, then forced firmware upgrade).

Don't know if for the CoPro a similar procedure can be done.

Baio

have seen this happen when people have been hot swapping fan headers on commander pro's. not saying this is what you did. but i have personally seen this as a result of hot swapping.. open an RMA ticket buddy. its most likely toast

I will have to say NO to that response. Mine was working perfectly until this last firmware was installed on mine as well. Now I can't control my fans normally as well.

Seems it is a bad last firmware Corsair released. As they are way too many people with the exact same issue all of a sudden popping up.

have seen this happen when people have been hot swapping fan headers on commander pro's. not saying this is what you did. but i have personally seen this as a result of hot swapping.. open an RMA ticket buddy. its most likely toast

I will have to say NO to that response. Mine was working perfectly until this last firmware was installed on mine as well. Now I can't control my fans normally as well.

Seems it is a bad last firmware Corsair released. As they are way too many people with the exact same issue all of a sudden popping up.

If it was a bad firmware release, it should give problems to almost everyone with a CoPro in his case, shouldn't it?

I read just 2 users in this forum having such problems...

Baio

You might be on to something there. Since no one will post anyplace else but here in this forum if they have issues with Corsair's stuff.

If it was a bad firmware release, it should give problems to almost everyone with a CoPro in his case, shouldn't it?

I read just 2 users in this forum having such problems...

Baio

You might be on to something there. Since no one will post anyplace else but here in this forum if they have issues with Corsair's stuff.

Did you try to open a ticket with Corsair's Assistance?

Maybe your CoPro can be replaced for free...

Baio

I have submitted a ticket. Explaining my problems on what I have done and how to make this happen over and over. Waiting to see what they want to do at this point. Mine is roughly about 5 days old and it happened.

Did you try to open a ticket with Corsair's Assistance?

Maybe your CoPro can be replaced for free...

Baio

Hi guys,

So had a reply from corsair

Thank you for bringing this up. I'm sorry if you having an issue changing the speed of your fans using the Commander pro.

At this point, I'd suggest wiping out the iCue configuration and forcing it to rebuild it. If you have any customizations that you to keep, export those profiles. Before you wipe out the configuration, can you please export your logs and profile information by going to Settings and clicking the button at the bottom. After that, you can wipe out the iCue configuration by first exiting iCue and then deleting %ProgramData%\Corsair\CUE and %AppData%\Corsair\CUE.

I did the above along with a clean install and now works perfectly. Just had to re-add my settings as i didn't export them.

I had been hot swapping USB headers I thought i might have bricked it but no. its all working fine.

hope this helps anyone else

Cheers,

I was really hoping that this would fix it for me but it didn't. My response was to send back in my few days old commander Pro for a new one. Weird how you got a totally different reply back with the exact same issues I had.

Good day! I was advised that we will need to replace the commander pro but before we do that, please check if you have iCUE v3.26.95. If so, please provide the following information:

- A copy of your original purchase invoice (PDF, or photograph as a jpg/png)

- Photograph of the serial/part codes from your unit (see link below if unsure)

- Confirmation of your full shipping address and telephone number

Street address:

City:

State/Province:

Zipcode:

Phone #:

Regards,

Kathrene

Hi guys,

Hi guys,

Quote:

Thank you for bringing this up. I'm sorry if you having an issue changing the speed of your fans using the Commander pro.

At this point, I'd suggest wiping out the iCue configuration and forcing it to rebuild it. If you have any customizations that you to keep, export those profiles. Before you wipe out the configuration, can you please export your logs and profile information by going to Settings and clicking the button at the bottom. After that, you can wipe out the iCue configuration by first exiting iCue and then deleting %ProgramData%\Corsair\CUE and %AppData%\Corsair\CUE.

I did the above along with a clean install and now works perfectly. Just had to re-add my settings as i didn't export them.

I had been hot swapping USB headers I thought i might have bricked it but no. its all working fine.

Cheers,

Edited by KILLER_K
Wrong quote. Bad eyes, sorry

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Hot swapping cables is a NEVER-DO thing into computer cases...

Baio

Hi guys,

So when you reinstalled iCUE originally, you did not delete the settings? It seems like a corrupt cooling profile, except when you created a new "cooling mode" to test the Fixed RPM/% curve, it should have produced a new file. That did not work, so either you were already using an existing cooling curve that had become corrupted or it happened during the troubleshooting process itself after re-install. Either way, will need to add this as an explicit step in the troubleshooting process.