Corsair Community

AMD FX 8350 with Corsair Dominator Platinum failing Prime95 (all settings @stock)

cinnamoncider

Hi,

I recently bought a FX 8350 and tried to run Prime95(small FFTs & Blend test) with all of my settings at stock to see how the temps look like at full load. The results are one of the workers always get delayed and one of them always get a FATAL ERROR in just a few minutes.

My system specs is:

AMD FX 8350

Cooler Master Seidon 120V

Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1866MHz 16GB (2x8GB) @1333MHz 9-9-9-24

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

Asus R9 280x DCUII TOP

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD SATAIII

Seagate Baraccuda 500GB 7200RPM SATAII

Seasonic P760 760W 80Plus Platinum

All of the settings in the BIOS are in Default. I have tried to use the XMP profile of the Corsair Dominator Platinum to run it at 1866MHz with 9-10-9-27 and 1.464V, and I'm still experiencing the same errors in Prime95(small FFTs & Blend test). The rated voltage at 1866MHz is 1.5v according to Corsair - but what I'm getting at the XMP profile with auto settings is 1.464V. I tried to set it manually with small increments until I got 1.5V reading at the BIOS with 1.53V at settings - it's really weird. But with that settings - it still fails Prime95 :(

But when I swapped my memory modules out and tried to use my old Kingston DDR3 1333MHz 4GB (2x2GB) - my system ran pretty well on Prime95 on both tests.

I haven't tried to run my Corsair RAMs on memtest yet - ever since I bought this. But I think this is the problem or maybe it's not. I have used these memory modules for two months already but I haven't encountered BSOD or hardware failures yet. FPS gaming and programming are what I usually do on my PC.

I'm trying to think out the possible problems:

1. Bad BIOS settings

2. Faulty memory modules :'(

3. Incompatible memory module with AMD FX Platform

4. Bad motherboard

Thank you for reading. I hope you can help me with this problem. I'm getting worried at my system right now :(

Yes. In my surprise - it has. I was expecting that it doesn't have that kind of feature. I have set the XMP to Profile 1 and it automatically adjusted its timings into 9-10-9-27 with 1.5v at settings but in the BIOS readings - it appears to be 1.464v.

I'll try your advise later and will run memtest afterwards.

Thank you for the response :)

UPDATE:

I ran memtest yesterday and got an error within a few minutes.

13319362394_e7cdc3c083_z.jpg

I still got a one year warranty period from the shop where I got this. Should I return it to them or is it better to let Corsair(locally) know about this? BTW, I'm living in the Philippines.

I believe you maybe pushing your motherboard with that processor, since it only has a 4+1 Phase VRM. You might want to check over at http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ for more help.

Just trying to give you heads up on any possible future problems! :flamethro

Is there a problem with the 8350 in a 4+1 phase VRM? I checked the list of supported CPUs of this motherboards and the FX 8350 is in it. I also looked at forums and it doesn't matter if you use a 990 or 970 chipset for the FX 8350.

Is there a problem with the 8350 in a 4+1 phase VRM? I checked the list of supported CPUs of this motherboards and the FX 8350 is in it. I also looked at forums and it doesn't matter if you use a 990 or 970 chipset for the FX 8350.

There is really nothing wrong with your VRM because it has a heat sink, but I would not want you to push it hard.

I would do what HOODedAssault said to do. If each stick passes then all you might need to do is add a little voltage when you run both sticks.

Update:

Found out my problem. This was solved by following an answer from this thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1666359/prime-rounding-error-8350-stock-settings.html

It turns out that my Corsair Dom Plats memory modules were fine, and my problem was the Voltage Drop or "Vdroop" as they say. I bumped my CPU voltage by +0.050v and it doesn't fail Prime95 anymore. :D:

If anyone there who has an AMD FX 8350 that fails with all settings at stock - this might be your problem.

Thank you, guys for trying to help me with this problem :)

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a thread you might want to take a look at! http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745146

I know it talks about the FX-6300 but I'm very sure that the FX-8350 is pulling more power. I think you're possibly reducing the life of your system.

Thank you for the additional info :)

I'm currently running my CPU at stock speeds, so I guess I'm fine. I'm planning to get a 990 board in the near future.

• 1 month later...
Thank you for the additional info :)

I'm currently running my CPU at stock speeds, so I guess I'm fine. I'm planning to get a 990 board in the near future.

you might want to consider the asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Fatal1tyKiller/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer.html

newer compare to others, very good price, their killer mobos have good reviews

Archived