The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 AM
rcll1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419870
rcll1 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzie View Post
I have seen another kid with a Gigabyte board over on the TweakTown forums with similar issues. That new BIOS has brought forth new glory. Depending on my settings now, I am unable to boot into Windows 7 at all. Nice! Am I right? Yet to find any new stability glory from it; only greater instability. I wonder if a downgrade could make anything better.
I flashed SZ2S the other day when it came out, it has no documented memory related changes, mostly a PCIe payload release. Seems to perform similarly to SZ2R which I've been testing on now. My best OC was actually on SZ2F, but I've halted all OC testing because I get random BSODs/hardlocks which don't point to anything consistently.

I'm now focused on testing stock 133 QPI x 20 CPU Multi(21 Turbo), and various RAM related voltages to get this kit to run at 1600MHz in Windows without issue. I'm using the latest Prime SmallFFTs to make sure CPU is stable, then Prime blend and 20 pass LinX to see how CPU stress goes together with RAM stress, 8 instances of HCI Memtest for Windows is also a sure way to crash if the RAM isn't working right.

The main voltages to test are VDIMM, VTT, QPI PLL and partially IOH VCore(the X58 Northbridge chip). I've tried most every combination within reason and kept a log, its pretty long by now...

Unfortunately this memory issue has costed me more time than I expected, and I'm pretty close to trying a kit from another brand.

If these DIMMs would just fail Memtest86+ v4 in DOS-mode I'd love to RMA them and know that I only had a faulty set, which happens even with the best brands, and is an easy fix.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419880
penguin76 Reputation: 10

With so many people having this issue, I'm looking more and more to the RAM itself. I've seen other people using this same board and running RAM at faster speeds with stability. Also you see other 1600 kits working solid.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
decim8rmba's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419962
decim8rmba Reputation: 10

I've given up...I've RMA'd the sticks back to Newegg where I will hopefully get a new set by the end of the week...Or early next...If those don't work, I'm going to request for a different kit by a different manufacturer.

Quote:
I have seen another kid with a Gigabyte board over on the TweakTown forums with similar issues. That new BIOS has brought forth new glory. Depending on my settings now, I am unable to boot into Windows 7 at all. Nice! Am I right? Yet to find any new stability glory from it; only greater instability. I wonder if a downgrade could make anything better.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419980

I'd love to hear if the new sticks give you the same issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decim8rmba View Post
I've given up...I've RMA'd the sticks back to Newegg where I will hopefully get a new set by the end of the week...Or early next...If those don't work, I'm going to request for a different kit by a different manufacturer.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 419981

I'm curious what versions and such you guys have. I'm wondering if it's a bad batch. If our versions are different, then it's not that.

Mine's Ver3.1
Then there's a code after that:

I don't know what that code is, but I thought I'd include it.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420011
Wired Reputation: 32

Version numbers have nothing to do with when they were made.

The lot number notates the year (09) and the week (37) they were made with other proprietary info.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 AM
adamcsay's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420045
adamcsay Reputation: 10

v3.1 09370241.

i haven't rma'd yet. said screw it and decided to oc my cpu first. still can't get these damn things to run at 1600. got the processor to 4ghz, ram just will not run even at 2:8 overclocked to 1600. i've been messing with these for the last week with no luck regardless of the settings. though i have gotten to the point where i can run prime95 for about an hour before lock up with 11-11-11-28 timings. still not good enough. doubtful a replacement is really going to help and i'm heavily considering picking up an entirely new brand. we'll see where the next few bios settings take me, but my patience is wearing thin.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 AM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420053

I'm returning mine for a refund.
My patience wore thin and rubbed through.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 AM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420054

Interesting that ours were made the same week...same bad batch maybe?

Grasping at straws here...
I ran across someone else that had similar issue. They admitted a QC problem and immediately got him a new set that's worked flawlessly from a different facility.

No matter my experience with this set, Corsair remains one of the best for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcsay View Post
v3.1 09370241.

i haven't rma'd yet. said screw it and decided to oc my cpu first. still can't get these damn things to run at 1600. got the processor to 4ghz, ram just will not run even at 2:8 overclocked to 1600. i've been messing with these for the last week with no luck regardless of the settings. though i have gotten to the point where i can run prime95 for about an hour before lock up with 11-11-11-28 timings. still not good enough. doubtful a replacement is really going to help and i'm heavily considering picking up an entirely new brand. we'll see where the next few bios settings take me, but my patience is wearing thin.

Last edited by penguin76; 10-08-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
adamcsay's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420055

well, i got fed up and just printed off my ups label. sending them back for replacement today. i'll post again in a week when i get the new sticks. hopefully it'll be with good news.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 420089
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Do you have the latest BIOS Version installed if not I would do that first and then load setup defaults and enable XMP Profile one and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU VTT Voltage to +.300 MV and test the system with www.memtest.org.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
adamcsay's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420106

yeah, i updated to the latest bios twice just for good measure. i've loaded the xmp profile with just about every vdimm and vtt combination i can think of. i've ran memtest for 24 hours straight, what seems like hundreds of passes and still no errors even at 1600mhz. i've decided it's either a bad batch of memory like penguin is suggesting or these sticks just don't work with the specific evga board.

i'm leaning toward the latter unfortunately but i've heard of so many people running these off the same board right out of the box that i'm going to give them another try.

thanks for the help though, appreciate it.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 PM
kizzie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420147
kizzie Reputation: 10

My current settings get the RAM to 1522Mhz with no problems whatsoever. Passed HyperPI, LinX (20 pass), Prime95 (10hrs) and are completely stable. I have yet to get them higher than this and stable.

(Turbo disabled)

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 190 )
CPU Clock Ratio ( 19x )

Memory Feature

Memory Speed ( Standard )
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 88 )
Command Rate ( 1T )

Voltage Control

DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )

I will be very curious to see how these new sets perform for everybody. I don't know if I will be getting the same set again though. I might try TR3X6G1600C7D G , CMG6GX3M3A1600C7, or another brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Do you have the latest BIOS Version installed if not I would do that first and then load setup defaults and enable XMP Profile one and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU VTT Voltage to +.300 MV and test the system with www.memtest.org.
No offense to you RAM GUY but you almost sound like a robot. You have said almost the exact same thing three times. I do realize the importance of you stressing the Memtest'ing but when do you give us the second set of instructions? (I am not very knowledgeable with RAM)

Old 10-08-2009, 08:11 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Yes this has been done, by everyone I've talked to, multiple times.

memtest86+ is worthless in determining this particular problem. memtest86 is good, but it doesn't adequately simulate other factors such as overall system load and CPU stress at the same time.

Some of the other programs do this better, but there's not a single program that does everything. A myriad of tests are needed. Even then, sometimes it doesn't flush out until you're just using the system and it locks.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
penguin76's PC Specs

POST ID # = 420152

Quote:
My current settings get the RAM to 1522Mhz with no problems whatsoever. Passed HyperPI, LinX (20 pass), Prime95 (10hrs) and are completely stable. I have yet to get them higher than this and stable.

(Turbo disabled)

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ( 190 )
CPU Clock Ratio ( 19x )

Memory Feature

Memory Speed ( Standard )
Memory Control Setting ( Enabled )
Memory Frequency ( 2:8 )
Channel Interleave Setting ( 6 Way )
Rank Interleave Setting ( 4 Way )
Memory Low Gap ( Auto )
tCL Setting ( 8 )
tRCD Setting ( 8 )
tRP Setting ( 8 )
tRAS Setting ( 24 )
tRFC Setting ( 88 )
Command Rate ( 1T )

Voltage Control

DIMM Voltage ( 1.65 )
I would try this, but I'm sending mine back for a refund and I'm tried of messing with these.