The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 06:59 AM

POST ID # = 1013221
HughWattmate Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBrian View Post
AMD released an updated chipset driver today that was supposed to address the issue of high idle voltages due to utilities monitoring the hardware. I used to have a problem with iCUE, Discord, and Steam all causing this issue. Discord and Steam no longer cause this issue, but iCUE still does. In order to get sub 1v during idle I have to uninstall iCUE. Otherwise it's locked at 1.45v almost all the time.

Would be really nice if Corsair would put their 2-cents in on this issue.
I wish they would sort it out also, however there is a temp fix that will let you keep iCue running (kinda) but fix the voltage spiking and pegging and 1.4+

Step 1: Hit Windows+R (bring up run)
Step 2: Locate "Corsair Service"
Step 3: Right click "Corsair Service", click properties.
Step 4: Hit "STOP"
Step 5: Select "Disabled" from the "startup type" dropdown.
Step 6: Hit apply

Now check voltages they should now drop down low again :) The solution is crap, it stops some functionality from iCue (My ram vanished for me so could not control its RGB), but at least the CPU isnt pegged at 1.45v.

BTW for the new chipset driver, make sure to uninstall the old chipset driver first. Then see if the Ryzen power plan has gone. If so then install them, if not delete the ryzen power plan's then install the chipset drivers. make sure after drivers are installed the Ryzen balanced plan is selected.

Why corsair can't come out with this info as a temp fix i don't know! Right now its on them, other software even NZXT's CAM that is notoriously bad was fixed.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 PM
CanuckBrian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013283
CanuckBrian Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughWattmate View Post
I wish they would sort it out also, however there is a temp fix that will let you keep iCue running (kinda) but fix the voltage spiking and pegging and 1.4+

Step 1: Hit Windows+R (bring up run)
Step 2: Locate "Corsair Service"
Step 3: Right click "Corsair Service", click properties.
Step 4: Hit "STOP"
Step 5: Select "Disabled" from the "startup type" dropdown.
Step 6: Hit apply

Now check voltages they should now drop down low again :) The solution is crap, it stops some functionality from iCue (My ram vanished for me so could not control its RGB), but at least the CPU isnt pegged at 1.45v.

BTW for the new chipset driver, make sure to uninstall the old chipset driver first. Then see if the Ryzen power plan has gone. If so then install them, if not delete the ryzen power plan's then install the chipset drivers. make sure after drivers are installed the Ryzen balanced plan is selected.

Why corsair can't come out with this info as a temp fix i don't know! Right now its on them, other software even NZXT's CAM that is notoriously bad was fixed.
This is awesome!

Thanks for the information. I am probably just going to do a fresh install of Windows again. This will be my 3rd fresh install since getting the 3900X a couple of weeks ago. I just don't want any residual registry settings or files lingering in my system from all the tweaking and fiddling I've done trying to sort this issue out.

I do have Corsair RGB RAM too, but Gigabyte's RGB 2.0 can manage it for me so that's ok.

Thanks again for the tip. I'll try it out.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Sacco Belmonte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013303
Sacco Belmonte Reputation: 10

I don't think the problem is iCUE at all.

Look, this is me playing CEMU with a gazillion background apps running, including iCUE and OBS.

The temperatures are really good. My idle temps are 37c/46c with all thos apps running.

The only difference is that I'm running a fixed OC, so the system is not all crazy boosting aimlessly.

I think AMD has to work on their boosting algo, which sucks right now.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 PM

POST ID # = 1013312
ifac Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacco Belmonte View Post
I don't think the problem is iCUE at all.

Look, this is me playing CEMU with a gazillion background apps running, including iCUE and OBS.

The temperatures are really good. My idle temps are 37c/46c with all thos apps running.

The only difference is that I'm running a fixed OC, so the system is not all crazy boosting aimlessly.

I think AMD has to work on their boosting algo, which sucks right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO26b9vLhfU
https://community.amd.com/community/...-and-destiny-2

You running a fixed OC means you dont have CPU Voltage on "Auto" like most of us do and have it set to a specific voltage. Hence why its not locked at a constant 1.4+

I have a 3900X running on a Asus X470 Crosshair board with the latest BIOS and chipset.
I have stopped all process and left ICUE as the last one. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as i killed ICUE. My voltages dropped and the CPU properly idled.

I truly do belive ICUE is causing the voltages to lock.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:01 AM

POST ID # = 1013333

I might be wrong but I believe is the other way around. AMD didn't test these CPUs other than with totally empty windows installations it seems. Totally missing the fact you need to fine tune your algos to account for that.

Time will tell. All I know is AMD's boosting algo is so far a big mess (hence a fixed OC runs way better) and reddit is basically on fire.

Last edited by Sacco Belmonte; 08-01-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:19 PM
CanuckBrian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacco Belmonte View Post
I might be wrong but I believe is the other way around. AMD didn't test these CPUs other than with totally empty windows installations it seems. Totally missing the fact you need to fine tune your algos to account for that.

Time will tell. All I know is AMD's boosting algo is so far a big mess (hence a fixed OC runs way better) and reddit is basically on fire.
Could you provide any insight into how you setup your OC in your BIOS? Settings, etc?

I jumped from Intel i7 4790K to a Ryzen 9 3900X. Either I lost the silicon lottery with my 4790K or my motherboard before was garbage, because I couldn't OC that system at all beyond stock without crashes. I have been out of the OC game for quite a while and this is a whole new platform for me, so I have no idea where to begin with this on my new X570/3900X system.

I've seen my 3900X auto-boost to 4.5Ghz a few times on several cores, so I'm hoping my chip is actually half decent in that regard. Hearing stories of people who can't even achieve 4.4Ghz on a single core. I regularly see my cores boost to 4.35-4.4GHz with the current BIOS / chipset / power plan offered by AMD. It's just the idle voltages I hate seeing so high because I know it's just causing higher temps as a result.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited by CanuckBrian; 08-01-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM

POST ID # = 1013366

It depends, I need to know which board you have so I can know it's VRM.

I have a X470 Taichi, whichi has a pretty good VRM and a lot of chokes and caps. They are all important in order to make decisions down the line.

Also depends on your cooler. Here I have a h115i Pro with 4 fans in push / pull.

If you meet those requirements.

1) Set a temporary OC in the BIOS to:

CPU freq: 4300Mhz
CPU Volt: 1.32V (do NOT use more, that is the max recommended so far)
Load Line calibration level 3 (Do NOT use anything higher, is dangerous and long to explain)

2) Boot, then use Ryzen Master to do a per CCX OC.

- Go to "Profile 1" and click on "Manual"
- Set your per CCX CPU frequencies as in the image. You can straight try them and if the system black screens during CB20 you can lower the clocks a bit on the second CCX first.

The other way to try is to have them all at 4.3Ghz first and raise the freq one CCX at a time and test with CB20 to find their individual higher freqs.

Note you should not include Vcore in your profile when you apply. I've seen Ryzen master setting the wrong vcore. For instance I set 1.26V and I get 1.32V. That's the reason you set an initial 4.3Ghz OC in the BIOS.

As you check stability with CB20 keep HWInfo open and look for CPU temp and vcore level. Your vcore should go down under a CB20 multitheread test to around 1.26V which is normal and expected under LLC3. It also depends from board to board.

If you still feel uncomfortable around 1.32V vcore you can set it to 1.3V and see how high your CCX would go.

Expect temps under CB20 on the mid/high 80s. Here I'm on the low 80s because I'm using liquid metal. Stock temps are right now worse than OC'd (in my experience)

Good luck!

Again, some NO NO's:

Do not use higher than 1.32V vcore. Despite if someone tells you 1.35V is fine, is not.
Do no use high level LLC such as 4, 5 on ASUS or 1, 2 on ASRock. They are BAD, spikes can kill a CPU and will degrade it over time, especially when transitions occur right after a voltage that is close to the max recommended 1.32V

About max recommended, so far that's the one we know for sure. It might be that we get an official statement at some point and the value is different, lower or higher. For now stick to 1.32V or less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-08-01_18-31-53.jpg (62.9 KB, 410 views)

Last edited by Sacco Belmonte; 08-01-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:09 PM
CanuckBrian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013372

Thanks for the info.

My system specs are in the dropdown by my name on the message boards here. But if you can't see that for some reason then it's the following:

• Ryzen 9 3900X
• Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master
• 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz CL18

I'm using custom EK open loop water cooling with a 240mm Coolstream PE radiator.

Motherboard has a true 14-phase VRM (no doublers), and the cooling solution should be more than sufficient.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:16 PM

POST ID # = 1013375

Ahh :D then you're set!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:17 PM

POST ID # = 1013376

Let me know how it went and how you feel the machine after.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:20 PM

POST ID # = 1013377

You can do long stability check with AIDA64

I wouldn't use Prime 95 as that thing is ridiculously aggressive and pushes the CPU over 90c
Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 PM
CanuckBrian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013378

Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows, install the newest BIOS (1.0.0.3ABB), and the latest chipset driver. I'll run some tests prior to installing any utilities (iCUE, Steam, etc) other than HWINFO. Then install those apps and test again. If seeing voltage issues I'll try some of the fixes from this thread, and I'll also try my hand at the manual overclocking.

I'll report back when done.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM
TheStuck's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013388
TheStuck Reputation: 10

For additional information, I disabled Corsair Service and it indeed lowered the idle voltage to <1 V. All other monitor software did not peg the idle voltage out.

However, I lost connection to:
Commander Pro and all things attached to it. (RGB strips, 3x LL120 RGB fans)
2 x Veng Pro RGB RAM sticks
H115i Platinum AIO (USB connections going through Command Pro)

Basically anything connected internally.

I retained connection to all USB peripherals: Void Pro RGB Headet, K70 keyboard, Glaive mouse, and MM800 mousepad.

Last edited by TheStuck; 08-01-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:41 PM

POST ID # = 1013402

To me disabling iCUE is not an option. :)

I know iCUE is not the lightest background app, but honestly I think they have been doing a hell of a job to keep it from using more resources given the amount of animation layers I'm running.

Corsair service uses 0.8% to sporadic 2% CPU usage. iCUE uses 0% when the UI is closed.

What I do is to use Process Lasso to set iCUE to my main 2 cores the system uses for I/O. I leave all other apps with no affinity and those who use heavy resources are set to use all cores except those two system cores. That way I can always leave resources to iCUE to work smoothly. (no core usage interference)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 PM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1013547
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBrian View Post
AMD released an updated chipset driver today that was supposed to address the issue of high idle voltages due to utilities monitoring the hardware. I used to have a problem with iCUE, Discord, and Steam all causing this issue. Discord and Steam no longer cause this issue, but iCUE still does. In order to get sub 1v during idle I have to uninstall iCUE. Otherwise it's locked at 1.45v almost all the time.

Would be really nice if Corsair would put their 2-cents in on this issue.
Just trying to be helpful that's all. Of course my opinion below and nothing is perfect including the AMD launch but...

Maybe iCue can be tweaked (maybe use a low priority thread, smarter thread wait/sleeping, or less aggressive options provided) but not really a "problem?".

The voltage is not locked, observer effect, it's normal for this new processor design, not an issue.
I bet many multi-threaded software's will have this behavior.

Fan control ramping can be an issue but adjust your fan control config to compensate or nuke your CPU performance in some way using power saving plan.

voltages normal: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...3rd_gen_ryzen/

more about voltage: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...l_half_of_the/

Also have all the following in combination and your system should be working smoothly.
1) Windows 10 version 19.03 (3 power plans to help depending on the behavior you desire)
2) Proper BIOS/UEFI (with at least AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)
3) Updated chipset driver

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 08-02-2019 at 10:31 PM.