The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 02:33 AM
cyrylthewolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 481760
cyrylthewolf Reputation: 10

NOW we're getting somewhere.

And...OK. So this forum is meant as a supplemental form of support. In that, I am mistaken and I apologize. The context was apparently lost on me.

That said...

I'm NOT intending to overclock, really. Although I wouldn't be opposed to trying it some time just to see what can be accomplished.

One thing I'm also wondering, though... I notice that I don't see 1866 CMP-series RAM from Corsair. Are they basically just relying on their high-end RAM to do that job by clocking down? Seems like with the Corsair line-up, you either go HIGH or go minimum.

I was not aware that there was any major difference as to what AMD or Intel prefers... (Latency or Speed, respectively.)

So... If we're just going for ultimate response time and fair speed...with priority on stability... Which RAM products would be flexible?

That's still a broad-based question, I realize. So...let me expound on that here...

I realize that QVL's are pretty pointless after a while. A lot of products DON'T get tested and updated onto the lists... SO...

Would the higher-end RAM work OK on the board without issues? Would the 2000 RAM work OK on the Sabertooth x58 if I were to buy it and run it at 1866? It's not listed on the QVL's as far as I can tell.

Ultimately it's starting to sound like that'd be my best option. 12GB (4GB x 3) of DDR3 2000 clocked down to 1866.

Does this sound about right?

Last edited by cyrylthewolf; 12-23-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 12-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 481762
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrylthewolf View Post
So... If we're just going for ultimate response time and fair speed...with priority on stability... Which RAM products would be flexible?

Would the higher-end RAM work OK on the board without issues? Would the 2000 RAM work OK on the Sabertooth x58 if I were to buy it and run it at 1866? It's not listed on the QVL's as far as I can tell.

Ultimately it's starting to sound like that'd be my best option. 12GB (4GB x 3) of DDR3 2000 clocked down to 1866.

Does this sound about right?
Your conclusions are very close and you are distilling a lot of information pretty well.

As far as flexible, the higher speed grade you buy, the best chance you have at flexible. A 1600C8 kit "MIGHT" run 1866C9. But there is no guarantee. However, an 1866C9 kit will almost certainly run 1600C8 as that is a lower bin aka lower grade of RAM.

In your example above, the 2000 will certainly run 1866 even though it's never actually tested at 1866. The only question then becomes the latencies at which you can run at 2000 vs 1866.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 PM
cyrylthewolf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 481842
cyrylthewolf Reputation: 10

Man... It's starting to look like the only practical option here is to run CMX12GX3M3A2000C9 and clock it down to 1866.

That's gonna cost me. >_<

I am by no means a noob when it comes to building systems... But I haven't ventured into overclocking. I've never saw the point to it. (Still not overly interested in it.) But my brain now wonders...

What kind of latency/timings could I expect out of that then? I can see the stock timing...

LET ME MAKE A SUMMARY HERE...

Board: ASUS Sabertooth x58
CPU: Intel Core i7 950 LGA1366

I would like SPECIFIC recommendations to satisfy these prerequisites:

1.) The RAM must be able to run at 1866. (As per the Sabertooth x58's specs.)

2.) The RAM must be able to run at average (good) latencies. Tightest possible for 1866.

3.) The RAM must be able to do so without causing compatibility issues. (I've read of several people having this issue.)

4.) The RAM does not have to be listed on any QVL's. (Although it'd be nice if they could get those updated.)

5.) I would like the RAM to be compatible with the Airflow Pro RAM monitoring attachment. (What can I say? I like accessories like that.) Although if I must, I will sacrifice this.

6.) I'm leaning toward 12GB (4GB x 3) at this point after having seen information showing that games are starting to take upward of 2GB of memory space while running! (Although if you guys can specifically recommend that a 6GB (2GB x 3) kit will work well enough and leave room for overhead then I will be open to that, too.)

And finally... 7.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
The only question then becomes the latencies at which you can run at 2000 vs 1866.
THIS is the issue that has me stumped the most. This is what is causing me to worry the most. I do not understand how we go about arriving at this figure. I just want to find what will work the best with the board and CPU...and give me the ability to perform at the board's capacity while maintaining a more efficient memory configuration. Not necessarily FAST...though this is part of the objective. But definitely EFFICIENT and STABLE.

I just don't want ISSUES. I think that this is my biggest fear. I'm putting out what - at this time - is A LOT of money. I'm just trying to ensure that I get what it is that I need the FIRST TIME AROUND. Y'know?

If you give suggestions, please give any specifics along with your suggestion. At this point I'm willing to compromise where I need to. But it seems to me that the frequency is more important than the latency. I just want a good balance of performance in the enthusiast level while maxing out my board's capabilities. (Again... Not trying to overclock here. Just want to ensure that I'm running at advertised specs of my board.)

I STILL don't know how the CPU figures in to all of this, though... Where does it fit into the equation? How does the frequency of the RAM relate to the speed of the memory controller on the CPU?

These are the elements I'm missing...

Last edited by Wired; 12-23-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fixed CPU link

Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 481846
Wired Reputation: 32

CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

Even though your motherboard may support 1866, doesn't mean you'll be able to OC your CPU (and therefore your memory controller which is within Core iX CPUs) enough to allow the memory controller to run memory at those speeds.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 12-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 481893
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrylthewolf View Post
. (Again... Not trying to overclock here. Just want to ensure that I'm running at advertised specs of my board.)
Then just run your memory at 1066. You must OC to run DDR2000.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 481895
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

btw, that CPU is only 229.00 from http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0346210
the motherboard is the same price http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0347337
you can save 60 bucks?
just trying to help.

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Lokenall's PC Specs

POST ID # = 490093
Lokenall Reputation: 10

WOW! This thread has shed some serious light on the subject. Thanks to everyone here. I am getting the Gigabyte 890FX-UD5 mobo and couldn't figure out what type of ram to get. So between mushkin and corsair, I decided on corsair for dimm slot spacing issues. Any who, I have the AMD Phenom II x6 1100T oc @ 3.8. My current ram is 8GB of Corsair dominator DDR2 1066.
I do video editing, web designing, photography, a little gaming, music and graphic design. At least I would like 16GB of DDR3 1333MHz. The model of ram I'm looking at is Corsair CMP16GX3M4A1600C9. It's "able to get up to 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24 OC, not that I will be heart broken if I don't get that due to the limitations of AMD cpu's, but I should in theory be able to get 1333MHz with tighter timings possibly. At any rate, just wanted to drop in and say thanks to all of you for shedding some light on this topic.