Corsair Community

H80i V2 power

djmorgan

The H80i using Corsair link provides 2 power options 'performance' and 'Quiet' rpm is something like performance = 2800+/- quiet = 1950 +/-

What I would like to know is how does Corsair Link alter the RPM of the pump is it simply by reducing the power delivered to the pump from 12V to something less? or by something internal in the pump?

:confused:

The H80i using Corsair link provides 2 power options 'performance' and 'Quiet' rpm is something like performance = 2800+/- quiet = 1950 +/-

What I would like to know is how does Corsair Link alter the RPM of the pump is it simply by reducing the power delivered to the pump from 12V to something less? or by something internal in the pump?

:confused:

It's internal to the pump. DO NOT reduce the power from 12V, for any reason, at any time. These pumps absolutely, positively require the full 12V at all times.

FYI: Link does not do anything to control any motherboard fan headers. Altering that voltage would be doing that.

It's internal to the pump. DO NOT reduce the power from 12V, for any reason, at any time. These pumps absolutely, positively require the full 12V at all times.

FYI: Link does not do anything to control any motherboard fan headers. Altering that voltage would be doing that.

Thanks for that....... but how internal? facts not guesses please, unless a brake of some sort it must be power supplied to the motor.

Thanks for that....... but how internal? facts not guesses please, unless a break of some sort it must be power supplied to the motor.

The setting for the speed is sent to the cooler via the USB interface. That's a fact. ALL of the Corsair "i" coolers work this way; there is a microcontroller inside the unit that controls the pump, the fans and (if present) lighting. That's also a fact.

Now ... what the MCU does internally ... don't know. But that's how it works.

And when I'm guessing, I'll clearly state it with some sort of qualifier that indicates that. This isn't a guess. DO NOT alter the power on the cooler. It MUST be kept at 12V at all times. Failure to do so will result in improper operation of the cooler and may significantly reduce the lifespan of the cooler.

The setting for the speed is sent to the cooler via the USB interface. That's a fact. ALL of the Corsair "i" coolers work this way; there is a microcontroller inside the unit that controls the pump, the fans and (if present) lighting. That's also a fact.

Now ... what the MCU does internally ... don't know. But that's how it works.

And when I'm guessing, I'll clearly state it with some sort of qualifier that indicates that. This isn't a guess. DO NOT alter the power on the cooler. It MUST be kept at 12V at all times. Failure to do so will result in improper operation of the cooler and may significantly reduce the lifespan of the cooler.

Ever heard the story of Chicken Little?

In a previous thread you indicated that one could setup a profile using Corsair Link and then save it to the pump and disconnect Corsair link and software.

If not using a USB link to the pump it runs as default in performance mode 2800+/- so the speed (RPM) seems to be independent of the Corsair link.

Be nice if a Corsair Tech would respond. :roll:

Ever heard the story of Chicken Little?

In a previous thread you indicated that one could setup a profile using Corsair Link and then save it to the pump and disconnect Corsair link and software.

If not using a USB link to the pump it runs as default in performance mode 2800+/- so the speed (RPM) seems to be independent of the Corsair link.

Be nice if a Corsair Tech would respond. :roll:

You can. Doesn't change a thing about what I said. That profile gets written to the MCU via USB and runs there. If you never connect Link, there is a default profile that runs on the MCU.

It is internal to the pump. It does not change anything about the fan header.

Still needs 12V all the time.

See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801.

Archived