Corsair Community

Stability problem running TWIN2X4096-6400C5

picklesuit

I tried to upgrade my system from twin 1gb dimms (2gb) to twin 2gb dimms (4gb). The memory is identical other than size.

I understand the 32bit limitation on memory size though when I install the new memory the computer will not boot. I've read that voltage may need to be tweaked in BIOS in order for the larger memory to work but my concern is how do I get into BIOS when the computer wont boot? Does anyone have any thoughts that may help? Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.9 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived