Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX and p5e64 ws evolution

eddiemc

Hi, I have an issue i'm hoping you guys can help me out with:

My set up suffers from random freezes calling for hard re-boot every time..

This happens both under full load, as well as on idle. I recently upgraded my system a bit (motherboard, ram, cpu(Quad Q9550)), but now i'm struggling with it being totally unstable. Looking through the bios i noticed that all the auto settings seems totally wrong for my memory modules. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some details on the best setup for my system so i can get it stable.

Thanks in advance

eddiemc

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.8 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I forgot to mention that i got two of those TW3X4G1333C9DHX, 8 gigs total..

I've set my bios to the timings 9-9-9-24, speed 1333 and the voltage 1.8 as you said, at the moment its running... ok..."fingers crossed" .2 increase seems a lot though, won't I have to change other settings to match it?

I'm a little newbish when it comes to all the different memory settings available..

Is there any other settings i should adjust in general to make it more stable, and optimised with the modules?

Thanks mate

-eddiemc

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR133 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I could only increase the NB by .02 increments, so i went for 1.29v

I could not find neither MCH nor SPP i the bios... (little noob help here?;)

About: "memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR133"

As in going down from 1333MHz? to perhaps 1066MHz if the system stays unstable, or just to always stay on lower MHz always..? I do wanna keep these sticks at their peak..

My gutt feeling tells me its just settings, not faulty hardware. I've disabled legacy support in bios and gonna run memory testing now. Had problems getting memtest 86+ to work for me in x64 (creating floppy), so i'm trying the built in microsoft one... (hoping it's not just there for show)

Any other pointers are greatly appreciated:):

-eddiemc

Hi, it seems that just applying the appropriate manual settings for the ram (since the auto settings was way off) seems to keep my system stable.

I've increased the voltage for dram and north bridge a bit (as you suggested), and at the moment I seem to be able to use the full 1333MHz the mem sticks are supposed to be able to handle:)

Unless you reckon I'm putting too much strain on the sticks, I won't decrease it to 1066 unless any unstability occurs.

Since you've been helping me out i wanted to ask another ram related question too, still concerning p5e64 and the TW3X4G1333:

I do like the theory behind asus software "ai suite" where it's supposed to be able to auto clock my cpu down when idle, to save power, and throttle it when under heavy load.. I don't have it installed at the moment, but since it sounds great on paper..I wanted to ask you how that will affect the stability of the mem sticks?

And, after using the correct bios settings for the ram, can I add ai suite to save some juice when not needed without everything going haywire again?

Thanks in advance

-eddiemc

Hi, all seems fine now and no system freeze since i did the adjustment. I seem to be able to ease back a bit on the voltage too, towards the factory sheet settings, and still keeping it stable.

Thanks for the help:)

Archived