Corsair Community

iCue - MSI Z390 MEG ACE conflicts

James1966

Problems using iCUE software on my system as for sometime it's been locking up when the computer is in idle as I would walk away to watch a movie and come back to my PC and find it locked up as the only way to get it back is a hard shut down. I flashed my bios on my motherboard back to older versions and still it locks up. I uninstalled MSI Mystic Light as I use that to control my RGB on the video card. I even updated all my drivers and chipset drivers but the lockups continued. Then I went to the last resort and started from scratch formatting my PC completely and reinstalling all my software (lightroom, games ect) and it crashed again. I was frustrated so I formated again as luckly I only keep my software on my main drive and games are stored on another drive as well as all my images as nothing important is stored on my system drive so it's a easy wipe and clean and reinstall when needed.

SO the second install I was to do some tracking on what it could be as I was thinking iCUE after doing some research but wanted to make sure as this time its been over 2 weeks in the making as I installed one thing at a time. OS, Images Editing and Sound card drivers as that was the first to go in as I love my music. Everything was running fine latest Nvidia drivers everything worked as it should so tonight sinces I had no control over my LED for the last 2 weeks I would give iCUE a go and it was all fine till I went to watch TV for a hour and came back to it being LOCKED up again. SO I restarted and uninstalled iCUE and all traces of Corsair software in my computer as it looks like I have to take out the commander pro and move it over to MSI Software but looks like I will loose control of my H115i RGB PLATINUM RGB as that needs iCUE to control it. I really perfer iCUE over Mystic Light but I can not deal with these crashes all the time. as maybe in the future or I will have to swap out my H115i RGB PLATINUM to another brand. I have the same cooler on another machine and iCUE installed on that machine but for some reason am thinking it's the this the Z390 MEG ACE is the issue so hopfully anyone else that has this issue on the same board it would help,,,

thanks

my system

Intel i9 9900k

MSI Z390 MEG ACE

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO

Corsair Hydro Series, H115i RGB PLATINUM, 280mm

Windows 10 PRO

EVGA NU Audio Card

SAMSUNG 970 EVO (system drive)

Problems using iCUE software on my system as for sometime it's been locking up when the computer is in idle as I would walk away to watch a movie and come back to my PC and find it locked up as the only way to get it back is a hard shut down. I flashed my bios on my motherboard back to older versions and still it locks up. I uninstalled MSI Mystic Light as I use that to control my RGB on the video card. I even updated all my drivers and chipset drivers but the lockups continued. Then I went to the last resort and started from scratch formatting my PC completely and reinstalling all my software (lightroom, games ect) and it crashed again. I was frustrated so I formated again as luckly I only keep my software on my main drive and games are stored on another drive as well as all my images as nothing important is stored on my system drive so it's a easy wipe and clean and reinstall when needed.

SO the second install I was to do some tracking on what it could be as I was thinking iCUE after doing some research but wanted to make sure as this time its been over 2 weeks in the making as I installed one thing at a time. OS, Images Editing and Sound card drivers as that was the first to go in as I love my music. Everything was running fine latest Nvidia drivers everything worked as it should so tonight sinces I had no control over my LED for the last 2 weeks I would give iCUE a go and it was all fine till I went to watch TV for a hour and came back to it being LOCKED up again. SO I restarted and uninstalled iCUE and all traces of Corsair software in my computer as it looks like I have to take out the commander pro and move it over to MSI Software but looks like I will loose control of my H115i RGB PLATINUM RGB as that needs iCUE to control it. I really perfer iCUE over Mystic Light but I can not deal with these crashes all the time. as maybe in the future or I will have to swap out my H115i RGB PLATINUM to another brand. I have the same cooler on another machine and iCUE installed on that machine but for some reason am thinking it's the this the Z390 MEG ACE is the issue so hopfully anyone else that has this issue on the same board it would help,,,

thanks

my system

Intel i9 9900k

MSI Z390 MEG ACE

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO

Corsair Hydro Series, H115i RGB PLATINUM, 280mm

Windows 10 PRO

EVGA NU Audio Card

SAMSUNG 970 EVO (system drive)

Just a thought as could it be the commander pro is defective and there is a issue with the USB2.0 causing the system to hang?

Just a thought as could it be the commander pro is defective and there is a issue with the USB2.0 causing the system to hang?

So if you go back a few months you will find a....thread...I was in where I mentioned that the only thing that had changed on my system (at that point I still had the cooler in the box) was the case which came with the CoPro. I have had my questions about the one that comes with that case for a while. One thing I noticed different between the retail version and the one that came in the Obsidian 500D SE, was the fact that the retail version had a 4 wire lead for SATA power whereas the one in the case had a 2 wire lead for SATA power. Normally not that big a deal but makes me wonder if the one in the case wasn't a bunch of "version 1"'s they had left over and needed to use. Not a huge deal normally but why have two different versions? It's like having a CPU that tests with a bad core so they disable it and ship it as a lower model version....oh right they do that, how silly of me.

Still waiting to hear back from Corsair on if they figured out what was causing the issues on the system they bought from me. Don't expect it but it would be nice to know for sure since it drove me up a wall.

And forgot your other question. How do you have everything hooked up at this time? And a friendly warning? Get ready to get mad by some of the help you may receive here from certain people.

Edited by Waukeen

I have the same 2 wire SATA power fan LED hub but I swapped the main Commander Pro as I had the one that only controlled LED's as I had the other one that I never used the one that controlled even the fan speed. But it still locked up as one last resort before I dump all the Corsair out of this system I changed the memory from Vengeance Pro to Trident Z as that was in my other system. To me it looks like a memory issue with iCUE as you would think if it was they would catch it since it's their own memory. Well lets see if this works.. if it locks up again then there is a issue with the motherboard.

The problem is if it really is hardware related, we should be seeing this on a bunch of Z390 boards or anyone else with Vengeance Pro RAM. Obviously the freezes are real, so something is going on.

Can you list your Windows version, iCUE version, and Nvidia driver version? Freezes like that are often memory related, but it could an interaction between iCUE and the graphics driver as well. When the last crash happened, was iCUE open and up on the desktop? Or reserved to the task bar drop down slot?

Window 10 Pro 1903 was also doing it before update

Nvidia Driver 430.86

iCue version 3.17.94

Crashes happen when I am not at the computer but it happened a few times as I caught the blue screen of deaf but most times it happens when I am not at the computer. I can always tell it's locked up as all my RGB settings on the fans will go back to default and the LED's on the memory are frozen. iCue is not open but it's in the task bar like normal.

I can deal if it's a memory problem as the memory is under lifetime warranty as I just put in my 32gb of Trident Z memory ... didn't change anything else so I heading out and will leave to PC running. I am hopping I will come back to a PC that is not frozen as if it's going to freeze it's when I am not using it. I tried many things not using fast boot.. changing how to computer sleeps.. rolling back my BIOS to early versions.. Even reinstalling windows to finally track it down to iCUE that was the issue. I have way to many Corsair parts as it would cost me over $400 to replace everything with new fans and CPU cooler

thanks for the reply will get back here if the Trident Z memory solved the issue

• 1 month later...