Corsair Community

Corsair One (GTX1080) upgradablility in 2020?

JC-42

I’m seeking a bit of advice on my Corsair One Pro (Mark 1 Case). It’s currently running the original GTX 1080 and the i7-7700k specs with the SFX 80 Plus Gold PSU.

It runs Destiny 2 really well, and although it might be comparatively ‘old’ due to the usual instant PC obsolescence, I do not have any issue with it aesthetically or performance wise at the moment.

Looking into the ‘future’ it depends if “D3” or FF7 will be able to run on it in 4k resolution. In the future I’m also looking to upgrade my monitor soon (4k/144Hz/wide screen), so "Pixel Pushing Power" will become more important.

I’ve seen a couple of JayzTwoCents videos of him upgrading the newer Corsair One case designs, but I was wondering just how ‘future proof’ the original case was/is?

If I wanted to go up to say… a flagship i9 processor and GTX 2080 TI can I still make it fit in the original case?

If not, is it worth me selling this one, taking the hit of the current depreciation, and buying a newer model with the updated case design that might be slightly more upgradable?

I do travel regularly, so I also have considerations on going properly SFF; however, I like the unique aesthetic of the One and there still does not seem to be anything rivalling it on the PC market.

I’m fully aware of how much a pain in the butt it will be to upgrade any Corsair One product, but ‘can it be done’? with a bit of patience (and no major drilling, cutting tools!)

Does anybody else have the original Corsair Once case? Have you upgraded it yet?

Thoughts on what you might do? Thanks in advance! :)

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm new here. I realise I'm late to the party so I'm not sure if this is relevant anymore. I have the OG corsair one from 2017. It used to have a GTX 1070 and non K 7700. I have since upgraded it to more powerful components (see below my user name). For me it was easy as the GTX 1070 variant had an normal blower style graphics card so it was easy to swap to a newer graphics card of the same blower style. In your case (assuming you still have it and haven't upgraded it yet), since the 1080 was liquid cooled the only option would be to get a regular air cooled graphics card. Not sure about thermals for a traditional 3 fan card but the blower style ones can fit no problem. Just have to double check dimensions. Here are the dimensions of mine for reference. 268mm x 113mm x40mm. Hope this helps if it still relevant.

• Corsair Employee

Hey JC-42,

The hard part would be that the higher-end components produce a lot of heat and they may not work out in the case. To be safe, I'd recommend reach out to Support to get a more definitive answer on compatibility with the new parts and heat handling.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Best Buy says that I'll have my 3070 by Monday... gonna see if that fits. Length wise it should fit.

It is also less power than the 2080 SUPER / 2080ti in the system right now, at the same performance. Overclocked it will be the same power, and even better performance

Nice!!! I am trying to get one myself but from what I measured in my Corsair One (2017) the max length seems to be 280mm for a card. Which model of Corsair One do you have? What model graphics card are you getting? Let us know how you go with yours. :D:

Best Buy says that I'll have my 3070 by Monday... gonna see if that fits. Length wise it should fit.

It is also less power than the 2080 SUPER / 2080ti in the system right now, at the same performance. Overclocked it will be the same power, and even better performance

It fits - I just installed my 3070FE in a Corsair One Elite (1080ti) model

Great job with the upgrade. Very impressive, would love to see some photos! Congrats on your upgrade. What are you running again a 750W PS?

Nope, I am running it on the stock 500w that came with my C1. Stable through benchmarks, +5hr gaming sessions @1440 ultra - on poorly optimised, early access, FPS games and throughout my main C4D/Octane/AE render workflow.

I do have the 750w preordered for when its back in stock - but I am considering cancelling it.

Tbh, I'm not sure ill keep the 3070 - i didn't NEED the upgrade. I just got caught up on youtube videos and happened to be online when they were released.

It fits - I just installed my 3070FE in a Corsair One Elite (1080ti) model

Great job!!! The FE would not have had any problem fitting given its smaller size. To add to the hype I just installed mine. I got a gigabyte 3070 eagle OC. It fits nicely but it is pretty much at the limit of what you can fit in there.

20201103_135841.thumb.jpg.53a05ffed48f1abea187fa48a90c2cd7.jpg

20201103_133339.thumb.jpg.daa7140660db90328f0c2594ca8179c7.jpg

O wow that sure is beautiful! What are your average and max temps your hitting while gaming? Also is your processor/nvme running any hotter? Really nice job man. BZ

Thanks I appreciate it!

It idles below 50C (Warm weather currently) Max temps with stock settings are 77C max but I've undervolted it now and it runs at 65C so far. Processor is maybe a little warmer (5C more) because it has to work harder to keep up at 1080p (I know :laughing:). The motherboard temp went up by a couple of degrees because of the pass through on the graphics card but not a big deal as I have plenty of cooling on the cpu/mb. No change on NVMes temps. :D:

Hey EchoSierra, that looks awsesome! How are you liking the performance?

Thanks very much! Performance is excellent! Especially because the case has very good air flow so the card gets great cooling and is able to maintain the highest factory overclock speeds. :headbang:

Thanks very much! Performance is excellent! Especially because the case has very good air flow so the card gets great cooling and is able to maintain the highest factory overclock speeds. :headbang:

The case is the best PC enclosure design ever.

• Corsair Employee

I am definitely jealous, enjoy the gaming!

So if users aren't having issues fitting a 3070 in there...it would appear Corsair shouldn't have any problems either...lol

Any chance a 3080 would fit in the current case dimensions?

Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind it if Corsair had to make their cases a tad fatter and taller to fit the new cards (even a 3090). They are so small as it is now, a little bump up won't change things all that much. I have a few inches on all sides to give, so I would be fine. :-)

So if users aren't having issues fitting a 3070 in there...it would appear Corsair shouldn't have any problems either...lol

Any chance a 3080 would fit in the current case dimensions?

Quite honestly, I wouldn't mind it if Corsair had to make their cases a tad fatter and taller to fit the new cards (even a 3090). They are so small as it is now, a little bump up won't change things all that much. I have a few inches on all sides to give, so I would be fine. :-)

Unfortunately for now, no 3080 will fit as they are all more than 300mm in length. Based on what I've measured on mine, the max length is about 286mm and the max width is about 125mm. However, once Gigabyte and Asus release their turbo versions which have a blower style fan, then they should be able to fit as they are usually slimmer and shorter. I'm not sure if MSI still has their turbo cards. The cheaper 2017 corsair one (Which is the one I have) came with an MSI turbo GTX 1070. In fact, Gigabyte have already released a turbo 3090 which I have checked measurements and it would fit comfortably. At least on the 2017 version of Corsair ONE. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

if you want to get into custom loops and modding with this case... the founder's edition 3080's are half height cards if you take the cooler off and get a block.

EK has a 120mm pump /res combo that could probably fit with some modding of the case. If you can re-use the same rads, then a 120mm Noctua slim fan can cool them. I have one pressure fit between my stock CPU cooler and Rad right now

if you want to get into custom loops and modding with this case... the founder's edition 3080's are half height cards if you take the cooler off and get a block.

EK has a 120mm pump /res combo that could probably fit with some modding of the case. If you can re-use the same rads, then a 120mm Noctua slim fan can cool them. I have one pressure fit between my stock CPU cooler and Rad right now

Haven't really considered that far with modding. But it sounds interesting that you've got that fan in yours. Care to share some pics? I am actually no longer running the liquid cooling on the cpu side. Instead, I have an Alpenfohn Black Ridge air cooler with a slim Noctua fan and also a 120mm corsair fan. It does seem like a normal air cooled 3080 will not fit unless you do custom liquid cooling.

Anyone know what the min PSU spec requirements are for the 3070?

NVIDIA recommends 650W. That would be mainly for a 10900k/5900x cpus. I have a 10600k and I'm running a 600W supply which is more than enough especially if you undervolt both gpu and cpu. You don't have to but it makes a big difference with temps.

This video by Optimum Tech goes through different power supplies for the 3080 which gives you an idea for the 3070.

[ame]

[/ame]

I wouldn't say that 600W is 'more than enough' when the manufacturer recommends 6-750W. That is a very broad and dangerous statement.

These cards can spike hard and trip over-current protection. Some power supplies are rated for continuous power, others what is on the box is the max during a spike. Either way, no power supply likes being run at full-tilt full-time.

Then there is how the power supply handles over-current protection, which can be different brand to brand. These new cards spike, and they spike hard. You can 'run fine' for a long time, but you can be prone to seemingly random instant shutdowns when that card spikes to 4-450W and your processor is pulling 1-150W.

Haven't really considered that far with modding. But it sounds interesting that you've got that fan in yours. Care to share some pics? I am actually no longer running the liquid cooling on the cpu side. Instead, I have an Alpenfohn Black Ridge air cooler with a slim Noctua fan and also a 120mm corsair fan. It does seem like a normal air cooled 3080 will not fit unless you do custom liquid cooling.

That is a Noctua A12x15 PWM in an a100 (3900x / 2080 Super). The bottom of the fan casing is resting on the hard drive tray, and it is flush against the radiator. The fan hub is directly in contact with the highest point of the CPU block. Works wonderfully, easily dropped CPU temps 15-20c. Easy mod, and nets at least another 100Mhz of boost speed due to not being at 95c.

This also gives the added benefit of cooling the memory stuff around the CPU that is normally cooled by a down-firing CPU cooler.

IMG_20200827_234137.thumb.jpg.d79bf6c5578cf3aa2c9cd9e1f5aa0d6e.jpg

Edited by Azureblood2

I wouldn't say that 600W is 'more than enough' when the manufacturer recommends 6-750W. That is a very broad and dangerous statement.

These cards can spike hard and trip over-current protection. Some power supplies are rated for continuous power, others what is on the box is the max during a spike. Either way, no power supply likes being run at full-tilt full-time.

Then there is how the power supply handles over-current protection, which can be different brand to brand. These new cards spike, and they spike hard. You can 'run fine' for a long time, but you can be prone to seemingly random instant shutdowns when that card spikes to 4-450W and your processor is pulling 1-150W.

I do agree with you. But seeing as we are talking about the 3070 which does not draw as much power as the 3080, it still stands to reason that 600 to 650W would be enough. Maybe not for overclocking, in which case I would probably say 750W. I am not sure the 3070 has the issues of power spikes. I could be wrong but in the end if you get 750W instead then more power to you. lol. 600W is more than enough for me because I undervolt both cpu and gpu.