Corsair Community

Buying a second hand C1, what to look out for?

Scraggle

Hi all!

This week I bidded for, won and paid for a second hand 7700K 1080 Ti Corsair One on a popular auction site. I’m due to collect it tomorrow however I have to be honest in staying that the amount of reported issues in this forum makes me very nervous. There was very little information published in the listing about it and returns are not allowed. Ultimately I’d be very grateful if anyone has any advice what to look out for when picking it up.

I believe that the warranty is non transferable so whilst I’m not paying the same for it as if I were buying it new, I feel more exposed. Simply put, if I get one of the many issues people have experienced in this thread then I’m stuck! I’ve explained my concerns to the person listing it and they’ve addressed some but not all. The lot is 181 and the SKU is CS-9000009-UK so I believe this puts it outside of the PCI-E ribbon cable issue.

I’m more worried about the temperatures and particularly the loud pump and fan noises that people have reported. For temperatures my research seems to suggest to expect low 80s for the CPU and high 50s for the GPU. I also don’t know what the baseline is for acceptable on these systems, walking away and asking for my money back over a noisy pump might be seen as quite subjective or trying to bail on buying it.

They’ve said I’m able to see it working when I pick it up, although I’m not sure if this will also include putting it under load/ taking the fan off and seeing inside.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on the above? Am I being too concerned or is it justifiable and I just need to keep an eye out?

Any comments gratefully received!

Hi Scraggle,

I have also recently been happily using my C1 Pro+ bought from a popular auction site a few weeks ago.

My C1 came with an original receipt from Scan UK that I can always use for warranty claims with them. However, I have had a good experience with Corsair technical support recently when they sent me some replacement parts for my H110i F.O.C. based on just the serial number even when I do not have any proof of purchase. I hope that you can receive the same level of service from Corsair too.

I don't think my reply will reach you in time but I wish that you have a wonderful purchase experience.

You should not worry about the issues discussed in the forum too much. The PCIe cable issues should have already been addressed in the later models you and I have.

The C1 is a best looking small ITX PC but we should manage our expectations with regards to temperatures and cooling at load. I will not expect the one huge fan to cool the system down with the same effectiveness compared to a full watercooled system anyway.

At idle, the C1 has a very slight hum with the main fan turning at 420rpm with CPU temps at up to 45 degrees@21 degree ambient. My C1 is set at 4.8GHz overclock at all cores. There are horrible thermal throttling at that speed at load, which I think is normal? I place my C1 on a cushion as it reduces the vibration noise.

The C1's fan does not spin faster than 1500rpm and the sound is just about bearable when a game is in full session with headphones.

I am really curious why the main fan is not controlled by the CPU AIO cooler or the motherboard. Instead, it is actually controlled by the GPU AIO cooler!

The pump speeds and fan profile cannot be controlled too. I wonder if anyone has used the C1 with the main fan controlled by the motherboard?

All the best!

HHS

I would also suggest letting it run the self-daignostics and checking eventvwr out for anything out of the oridinary - but this requires a bit of knowledge in deciding if something is worth worrying about (all computers put errors in there)

Top Tip??!? Never even thought about this - Will cut out a foam square from some spare mats tomorrow night and see how it sounds after than!

Simple solution for the noise sensitive folks. Sometimes the vibration from the fan gets amplified by the table.

I would also suggest letting it run the self-daignostics and checking eventvwr out for anything out of the oridinary - but this requires a bit of knowledge in deciding if something is worth worrying about (all computers put errors in there)

Done that. All systems seem a-ok. Still a little toasty running the C1 at max turbo speeds.

I’m actually puzzled how Corsair can get away with using a smaller CPU radiator for their new C1 design. Although, I think it actually makes better sense to swap the PSU below and all the hot bits like motherboard and GPU to the top.

Apologies to Scraggle for going off topic! Hope you’re enjoying your C1!

Archived