Corsair Community

Core i7 Memory Controller?

BUDAH

HI,

I just have a question, I have 6x2 gb sticks of Dominator Ram(CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) and I have them in all 6 slots on my Asus P6T Deluxe V2. Is it true that no matter what the Ram will be downclocked to 1333mhz as long as I have a 6 slots filled? I have a i7 920 but was thinking of getting the 980x, will this make any difference or am I better to get 3x4gb sticks to acheive higher speeds?

Thanks,

All Intel i7-9xx series CPUs officially support a RAM frequency up to 1066 MHz. Anything above 1066 MHz. is overclocking of the RAM.

The CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 RAM has been tested and confirmed to run stable at RAM speeds up to 1600 MHz. Your CPU/mobo may or may not run the RAM at this frequency as there are many variables involved.

It's unclear from the Asus website if this mobo automatically downclocks the RAM when all slots are filled. You may want to ask Asus tech to be certain? Changing to an i7-980 would not change the RAM speed that you can achieve per se as all of the i7-9xx series CPUs have the same official 1066 MHz. supported frequency.

Ya,

I know what the specs on the core i7s. I was just curious as to why no matter how much I overclock the ram (say to 1700 or so) when I checked the ram frequency in windows its always 1333mhz. I read that if you fill all the slots in any i7 mobo that the controller slows the speed down to 1333 wich like you said is still overclocked. I am just curious if anyone has heard of this and if goin to 3x4gig sticks can work around this.

Thanks,

Ya,

I know what the specs on the core i7s. I was just curious as to why no matter how much I overclock the ram (say to 1700 or so) when I checked the ram frequency in windows its always 1333mhz. I read that if you fill all the slots in any i7 mobo that the controller slows the speed down to 1333 wich like you said is still overclocked. I am just curious if anyone has heard of this and if goin to 3x4gig sticks can work around this.

Thanks,

I ran 6x2gb dominator 1600 on EVGA 758. My mobo did not downclock the ram to 1333. Sold that ram and suckered myself into a 3x2gb dominator gt 2000 kit that doesn't run anywhere CLOSE to specs.. I am going to be original here.....

What utility are you using to read mem freq?

Manually set timings?

Manually set uncore?

Try xmp?

Archived