Corsair Community

CRC Error on new built computer CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

FredrikLindahl

Hi Ram Guy,

So I built a new computer which worked like a charm until a begin some unpacking and installing some larger files.

Note, I'm no big expert on computers and overclocking. I rarley overclock my computer unless I really need that extra power.

The problem:

CRC errors when unpacking large data files, such as ISO or installing large files. I tried to redownload the files as I suspected it might be corrupt but still CRC.

Addition to the Specs: I have 4x4GB of CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 installed. It's a set of 3 plus 1 extra, all have same labeling, version and number.

What I have tried so far:

- Maked sure all drivers are up to date, including BIOS.

- Tried unpacking and installed the files to a separate standard HDD, still CRC error.

- Run HD-tune test on my SSD to check for faults. No errors found.

- Changed the RAM around, tested with 3, 2 and finally only 1 stick in the correct slots according to MOBO manual. Still CRC.

- Memtested all 4 sticks and individual checks, shows no errors on the RAM

- Tested RAM at BIOS default latency and voltage. 1333mhz 7-8-7-20 1.5 v

- Tested the recommended latency as per the labeling of the RAM 2000mhz (running 1866mhz) 9-10-9-27 1.65v

- Increased the voltage to 1.25v on VCCIO (was recomended by someone on this forum to give it some extra power)

I have not yet reinstalled OS which will be the next step if nothing else works.

So what can I do further? Any advice?

Can it be the SSD?

Is my PSU to weak?

I have later discoverd that the my RAM is not on the recommended list for my MOBO, could it simply be a compability problem?

Since the RAM and MOBO was gifted I did not had a chance to check the compability, I could probably get them changed but it would be quite a process.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Fredrik

. I rarley overclock my computer unless I really need that extra power.

Do you get the errors when you are not overclocking? With your RAM running at 1866 you are already overclocking the memory controller located on the CPu. So if you are getting errors when you overclock the CPU frequencie it may just an unstable OC. It may not be able to handle 1866mhz AND a bump to the CPU clock at the same time.

Addition to the Specs: I have 4x4GB of CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 installed. It's a set of 3 plus 1 extra, all have same labeling, version and number.

This is where i believe your problem lies, It's never recommended to mix memory . Yes, even two sets of the exact part number and version number can cause issues.

Remove the "extra "stick and use just two of the original 3 and see if you still get the same issue.

Thanks for quick reply! Appreciate it!

Do you get the errors when you are not overclocking? With your RAM running at 1866 you are already overclocking the memory controller located on the CPu. So if you are getting errors when you overclock the CPU frequencie it may just an unstable OC. It may not be able to handle 1866mhz AND a bump to the CPU clock at the same time.

Yes so far CRC over clocked or not :( but yes that makes sence. Should the RAM stabalize if I lower the frequency but keeping the latency and voltage?

This is where i believe your problem lies, It's never recommended to mix memory . Yes, even two sets of the exact part number and version number can cause issues.

Remove the "extra "stick and use just two of the original 3 and see if you still get the same issue.

The more I read about the isse here on the forum, the more this became apparent to me. Stupid as I am I have no idea which one belongs to the set anymore. But Im gonna swap them around and lower the frequency and see if it helps.

Okej this is a little bit embarrasing but I think Ive fixed the problem. The RAM is perfectly fine even when overclocked.

Turns out one of my ethernet ports is faulty and actually glitches and loses packets about every 3 minutes. I switch port and downloaded the file again. No CRC error when unpacking this time. I seems to be okay now, it was kind stupid that It was such a small thing but anyway I learnt alot from this error..

Thanks again for help!

Okej this is a little bit embarrasing but I think Ive fixed the problem. The RAM is perfectly fine even when overclocked.

Hehe, thats okay! Glad you figured it out and learned a little along the way. Just post back if you have any further issues.

Cheers!

Archived