Corsair Community

Problems with RAM & BSOD Win 10

Mikey202

So, firstly I apologise if I am at all posting this in the wrong place, Newbie perks?

To the point

So, I have some Corsair 2400 LPX RAM, 16GB of it and recently and only recently have I started having what seems could be compatibility issues.

For the last 6-8 Months the original 8 gigs of ram (2x 4GB) worked flawlessly. I then added an additional 8GB (1x 8GB) to the mix, essentially the same just instead of two modulus it was one.

2 months have now passed and I started to receive BSOD's which all error across the board within the category of Memory. I thought maybe changing the sticks around and clearing the cache would do the trick. Low and behold it did, for about a week. It started to BSOD again? Only now the same constant error is "Memory Management" I've tried running MEMTEST and a few others to which say there are errors but the system will halt and crash before I see any results. Im a little annoyed and confused at this point.

Do I change the RAM, by getting two new sticks of 8GB and see if that works? As you can imagine, I'm not keen on spending out another £80+ for more if I don't need to.

With your motherboard and CPU you should be running pairs, not an odd amount of sticks. Dual channel RAM is used in pairs. Also, mixing different RAM kits (i.e. not buying a 2 stick or 4 stick kit together) is very iffy, spotty to get working correctly. And to top it all off AM4 boards are really finicky at trying to run 4 sticks of RAM.

Seeing as you have had it working for a time before the issue occurred, and have switched it around for testing, have you using only each pair by itself to see if the problem happens again? I understand this will take some time seeing as the issue doesn't present itself for a while but worth doing to be sure. Also, while you said they are the same, can you confirm the revision of them? While the RAM might be the "same model" it might have different ICs on it. This has been known to cause issues from time to time.

Also are you setting XMP for this ram or just letting it run?

Years ago I ran into an issue with some XMS2 Doms that the board just didn't want to pick up the settings for properly and I had to set them manually. Have you tried this? The other thing it did was setting the voltages too low for the RAM and it would function fine for a bit then start acting up which was resolved when I found that out.

And if you don't feel comfortable digging around the BIOS yourself you can always contact Corsair on the phone and ask them to guide you through it to verify and make sure the settings are correct.

Also read this to get an idea of what causes it and how it can be addressed.

That shed some light on the situation. I've known not to mix pairs from the DDR3 days however thought I'd give it a go.

A slightly more worry is within the last few hours I've tried it with just the 1 8GB stick to see if it was maybe a iffy slot on the board or something along those lines. However after using it for a little while, again its started with the BSOD's again.

I'm really lost for thought now and not sure how to proceed with this.

Thanks for the reply also!

Seeing as you have had it working for a time before the issue occurred, and have switched it around for testing, have you using only each pair by itself to see if the problem happens again? I understand this will take some time seeing as the issue doesn't present itself for a while but worth doing to be sure. Also, while you said they are the same, can you confirm the revision of them? While the RAM might be the "same model" it might have different ICs on it. This has been known to cause issues from time to time.

Also are you setting XMP for this ram or just letting it run?

Years ago I ran into an issue with some XMS2 Doms that the board just didn't want to pick up the settings for properly and I had to set them manually. Have you tried this? The other thing it did was setting the voltages too low for the RAM and it would function fine for a bit then start acting up which was resolved when I found that out.

And if you don't feel comfortable digging around the BIOS yourself you can always contact Corsair on the phone and ask them to guide you through it to verify and make sure the settings are correct.

Also read this to get an idea of what causes it and how it can be addressed.

As kind of replied in the last response, I have tried running the kits on their own. Still an issue. Yes I am just letting them run without any XMP Settings altered or configured. Also it maybe worth mentioning that although its 2400 it seens to only be running at 1330 default? Also, Im away from my Computer to check IC's as I am using a friends PC to be able to access the forum.

That shed some light on the situation. I've known not to mix pairs from the DDR3 days however thought I'd give it a go.

A slightly more worry is within the last few hours I've tried it with just the 1 8GB stick to see if it was maybe a iffy slot on the board or something along those lines. However after using it for a little while, again its started with the BSOD's again.

I'm really lost for thought now and not sure how to proceed with this.

Thanks for the reply also!

Verify the RAM timings and such with Corsair before you assume its bad. What board are you using anyway?

EDIT: Sorry but I've gotten used to most people not filling out the system specs option. This is just my previous experience with ASUS in general and one reason I stopped using them for a while is that I had a slot go bad (think it was DIMM.2) on two entirely different ASUS boards back in the day (day being within the last 6-7 years). In no way am I saying this is the case with you, but as for using the RAM only in pairs, this will improved performance but it IS NOT required as it will just run in the 1 channel mode and will assist in determining if you have a bad stick. That little back story I gave you? Memtest said the RAM was fine too. And I believe it as once I yanked two sticks (DIMM.2 and 4) the system was fine, just half the RAM.

Edited by Waukeen