The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM

POST ID # = 429646
YCH Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
There is nothing we can change on the modules other than offering you a replacement with an RMA but if that does not solve the issues then there is likely some other problem. And I would suggest talking to the MB maker to see what they have to say. But WAPC this part is one of the most popular parts we have made and we have sold Millions of sets so as Specmike told you there are bound to be users who who have common problems that is fairly common with large volume parts and the return rate of that part has been about 2% +- 1.0% throughout the production cycle knowing how sensitive some MB's and CPU's have became would be a more likely cause of similar failures.
Hey RAM GUY,

I work in the semiconductor industry, and I know how tempting it is to sweep something that is within the "acceptable range of failure rate" under the rug. Simply because it's easier and cheaper in the short run. I also know that failure information given along with an RMA is...how should I put it...not entirely dependable...unless the customer has run extensive cross-checks and tests prior to the RMA. Not sure how it is with retail products like this but I'm guessing the information you receive on the whole is not as good as you would like...which means telling how much skew or trend in failures of a product line is challenging. PS: I realize how much of a know-it-all I sound like at this point but please hear me out; I can only report from what know.

So despite your assurances of a low failure rate of this particular part, I still urge you guys to have a real look at issues like this, precisely because you cannot explain to us what the failure mechanism is in this case (while your customers are all telling you they have a particular pattern in their failures). Honestly, if this problem is identifiable on the day of purchase via stress testing, I would have a lot less problem with it because I would know off the bat the RAM is good or bad and have it replaced immediately if is bad. But it looks like that the failure we're talking about is intermittent, and not obvious until a month or two into the use time.

It just might be worth your time to spend some R&D indentifying the problem and working with motherboard makers (we're talking MAJOR players here like Asus, Gigabyte etc so it's not some small fry you want to have problems with). As retail customers, it's not our responsibility to do in-depth QA and testing for you to identify problems. In fact, you should be thanking us for bringing what we feel is a serious problem to your attention - and take steps to investigate. Imagine what it would be like if customers didn't bother returning defective RAM and didn't bother telling you what's wrong with it. You'd be blind if something goes wrong.

I love Corsair, but that love only stays as long as their products deserve it.

Last edited by YCH; 12-05-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 AM
WAPC's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429796
WAPC Reputation: 10
Default Cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCH View Post
I think at the very least this points to some kind of incompatibility between my Asus P5K Deluxe and the TWIN2X4096-8500C5D. And if other people's reports are true, then this RAM with many other motherboards as well.
Out of curiosity, what CPU are you using?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 AM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429812
MarkKelly Reputation: 10

When you look around at each case that has this same particular problem and can see the only common factor is this model of ram it does seem clear there must an issue with this model and certain motherboard chipsets. Not everyone is getting this, and I would guess there are many of them with no problems who have the same chipsets as those who are afflicted as well, so isolating the exact cause at our end is pretty much impossible.

When we also know that once a system develops this problem it does not go away without replacing the ram we also know something is happening that is causing a permanent physical change/damage to the ram as well. It may be only be a subtle change as cold boots will correct the issue temporarily, but it is always there. Knowing as well that this issue will not occur again when using different ram suggests the remaining hardware is not where the problem lies at all.

Just what change/damage this is I have no idea, but I do know after 2 months of solid stability my system at the moment is a constant time bomb, and I regularly shut it down and pull the power (every couple of hours) to try and avoid another crash.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
mrmrk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429836
mrmrk Reputation: 10

hi!

i have exactly the same problem with my 2 month old ram and i have done a lot of testing to narrow down the problem, but i am at the end of my knowledge right now.

for me the problem always starts with a bsod. the longer the computer is in operation the more likely it will happen. after this point there is no way to boot up windows again (bsod) and also memtest shows allot of errors.
but after a full power cycle (off/on) everything is rock stable again until to the next bsod.

so i have tested the sticks one by one in slot 1 - 40 passes no problem
and i have tested the sticks in dualchannel - 40 passes 600.000 errors

due this, i decided to replace my mother board and my computer was rock stable again (prime95 blend 14h stable, memtest 1000% no error, 2x memtest 86+ 40passes 16h no errors, linx 30x no error).

after 3 days of happiness - bam bsod - rock stable to total system failure.

edit:
asus rampage formula (replaced)
TWIN2X4096-8500C5
intel q9550
corsair hx650

Last edited by mrmrk; 12-07-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429842

Changing the motherboard and getting this issue again is more confirmation that the Ram itself does develop a permanent fault from this particular failure.

I just hope the motherboard itself doesn't get compromised as well by the fault. That your new board was ok for 3 days before crashing might suggest our boards are not escaping future issues from this ram's inherent problem.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429870
Wired Reputation: 32

mrmrk: Sounds like it could be the CPU, but there's no real evidence one way or another.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 AM
mrmrk's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429943
mrmrk Reputation: 10

i don't think a faulty cpu will pass 100 times linpack, which is the same program used by intel to test their own cpus (recommend are 5-10 and not more than 20, because of the stress). on the other hand this also proofs that the allocated ram by the program is fine at the moment. but fact is that something is wrong here and the symptoms are bsods followed by a memory failure on a reboot. i mean its like the whole ram is failing. the bsod happens almost at idle (loadline calibration is disabled) and a cold boot will fix it for the next hour, days, who knows.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
mrmrk: Sounds like it could be the CPU, but there's no real evidence one way or another.
I don't think the CPU is likely to be the problem as they are getting the same particular symptoms as many others with AMD CPU's and different boards.

Generally, when you are presented with the same problem happening in different cases you look for something that is present in each of those cases for the cause.

From everything I have read the only common factor for those getting this problem is the Ram.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429981
Wired Reputation: 32

As I stated, I wasn't talking to everyone, just him.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 429986

I understand that, but his problem is clearly the same as everyone else's here.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430170

Ok, while waiting for some new cheapish ram to arrive (I will need something while the Corsair is RMA'd) I tried out another setting last night and may have inadvertently found a setting that seems to have stabilised the problem.

Now I have tried the auto settings for 800Mhz before with no joy (crashes within hours as before) but thought I'd try entering all the settings (SPD timings) manually. I turned the PC back on about 8pm GMT and left it. This morning....Still on, no BSOD, no reboots and all seems fine at over 23 hours running (will be going back to 1066 after posting to see how long or if the crash occurs again). Here's the thing though, it was only on checking the settings I realised I had left the voltage at 2.1v, instead of the SPD 1.8V for 800Mhz.

Now I do not know if the crash might still occur at this setting (might just take longer) but it certainly has lasted a lot longer than any other I have tried. If it is a stable setting then that's a start I suppose, though still not a true solution as I'd be stuck running the ram below the speed I had paid for (and enjoyed for the 2 months it ran problem free).

Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 AM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430253

As feared, going back up to 1066 and the BSOD's returned. Went back down to 800 for now but will be sending the Corsair ram back as soon as the temporary replacement stick arrives.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Pav40's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430320
Pav40 Reputation: 10
Default Frustrated with TWIN2X4096-8500C5/D

Adding my voice of discontent with TWIN2X4096-8500C5/D.
Almost a year ago a bought TWIN2X4096-8500C5 and put them on an ASUS P5Q-SE motherboard. Last February the computer suffered from continuous randomm BSODs and reboots. When tested with memtes86, the memory showed lots of errors.
As a result I got the pair replaced with another pair from the same series. And guess what... Two months later the problem recurred. At that point I thought that somewhat was going wrong with the motherboard. So I went and bought ASUS P5Q Deluxe. But the memories crashed on this mobo on the next day.
So I got this pair exchanged for another kit - this time TWIN2X4096-8500C5D. This kit surprised me unpleasantly from the very beginning. It refused to work @1066MHz whatever settings I tried to use. Nevertheless I decided to use it @800 MHz so long as it gave me no problems.
About two months later the kit exhibited the same problems - random BSODs and reboots. As by then I have already read a lot about these issues, I decided to make some experiments. I put the memories on my home server (Q6600 on ASUS P5B). After a month or so - BSODs and reboots. Finally, I assembled for my son a machine based on ASUS P5E and E5200. The machine worked for about two months, and two days ago it started crashing like mad.
I cannot help but think that the problems are related to the Corsair memories. In my case crashes recurred with disturbing consistency on 4 motherboards based on three different chipsets and equipped with with four different CPUs.
Another strong indication that Corsair memories are to blame is that when I moved to another type of memory, as several persons on this forum note, the problems disappeared both on my server and now on my son's computer (which BTW has no problem running @1066MHz with the other memory).

Last edited by Pav40; 12-10-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430323

Argghh....So much for the 'stability' of the setting I had been trying. BSOD's came back even at that setting (come to think of it though the pc hadn't been idle much during it's day long run without a crash).

Have just put the temporary ram in and so far no problems, though a 1gb stick of cheap 800mhz ram is obviously running noticeably slower.

Will be putting the Corsair in the post tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do now when a replacement comes back.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
lfdal54's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430335
lfdal54 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKelly View Post
Argghh....So much for the 'stability' of the setting I had been trying. BSOD's came back even at that setting (come to think of it though the pc hadn't been idle much during it's day long run without a crash).

Have just put the temporary ram in and so far no problems, though a 1gb stick of cheap 800mhz ram is obviously running noticeably slower.

Will be putting the Corsair in the post tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do now when a replacement comes back.
Heve you checked out my thread "http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83014"

Same type of issue and I'm still sitting at the 4 choices I outlined in my last post.