Corsair Community

Fan Layout in Corsair 780T

lukemurtagh

Hello all,

I am about to splash out on my new gaming rig and I have a question. What layout of fans would you recommend for the 780T? I was planning on simply having two 140mm fans at the front and one 140mm fan at the rear. My CPU cooler will be a NH-D15.

Thanks!

I think that is fine for an air tower blow through. You didn't mention the rest of your hardware, but if you have multiple GPUs or a board with a hot VRM, adding 2x140 top exhaust is fairly straightforward.

Thanks for the reply. I’m only going to have one gpu, specifically a 1080. If I go with two top exhausts would you recommend I go with one intake on the bottom to maintain neutral air pressure?

My full specs:

CPU: i7-9700K

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XI (Wi-Fi)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked

Storage: x2 Samsung 860 Evo 1 T.B. SSD

PSU: Corsair RMX 650W

Case: Corsair 780T

That would be fine if you need to increase the air exchange rate, if the case temps are a bit too warm under GPU load. I don't think you will have VRM temp issues on the Hero XI either unless you are going to be running professional loads all day long. No reason not to start with the simpler 3 fan + air tower and see how things are.

Okay, thanks for your help. One question: if I did need to put two 140mm fans exhausting at the top would that interfere with the CPU cooler? The fan at the top back of the case wouldn’t, as I imagine that would exhaust the warm air coming out of the CPU cooler, but wouldn’t the fan at the top middle exhaust cooler air that would otherwise have gone into the CPU cooler?

Not likely. If you were to install them as intake and force CPU waste heat off the box down toward the GPU plate, you might create a little heat tornado (figuratively speaking). As exhaust, it might aid in pulling waste heat off the CPU radiator (there will always be some radiant heat from the top). I suppose theoretically if you minimized the rear exhaust speed and then maximized the top exhaust and bottom intake, you could move more GPU waste heat into the lower side of the CPU cooler box. This is going to happen anyway to some degree, but I suppose you could make it worse. In reality, all you would need from the top/bottom supplemental fans is a trickle of speed which is almost always better than passive exhaust. You want the front and rear fans to be the workhorses. That ensures CPU + GPU waste heat goes out the rear and the front fans are the only ones that might help get some air going between the GPU and CPU coolers. If that becomes a serious issue, 3x120 on the front will give you a more focuses and higher airflow through that sector.

Okay then. I think I’ll try three 120mm fans at the front, one 140mm fan at the rear, one 120mm fan at the bottom, and two 140mm fans at the top. The front and bottom will be intake and the rear and top exhaust. I imagine I should have a pretty cool system all in all. I’m going to remove the drive cage as I’m going with two ssds so the drive cage won’t be needed which should also help the airflow as the drive cage sits in front of the front fans. Thanks for the help.

One last question: are there any fans you would recommend? I would go for three Noctua NF-A14 140mm fans and four NF-S12A 120mm fans, but if you have any recommendations it would be great to hear them. I’m not bothered by RGB lighting, although I’m not against it either.

Archived