The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Proffo Proffo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 303
POST ID # = 775077
Proffo Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonster3 View Post
Ahh thanks for this.

I still stick by this: so the keyboard works amazingly with 512 colors, then it has very small flickering (it still displays a similar color). It flickers with 16.8 million colors, imagine if we half this number, that is 8.4 millions. Our eyes can only see 7 million, meaning its still 1.4 million colors ahead of us, but this would be MUCH MUCH MUCH less of a strain on the CPU I'm guessing.

I know you can't get 7 million colors as it goes 8, 16, 32 bit, but as a developer myself, I know you could run a for loop (or whatever method corsair uses to update the LEDs) and set the loop to run every 2 times, instead of every times it loops (in English: set the color every 2nd color instead of every color, meaning it halves the color availability, but also halves the refresh rate of the LEDs.
I don't think halving the number of colours would save much, if any load on the CPU. I'd need to see the details on how the registers in the LED drivers are programmed (and brush up on my coding !).


  #32  
Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 AM
goomonster3 goomonster3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 44
POST ID # = 775082
goomonster3 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
I don't think halving the number of colours would save much, if any load on the CPU. I'd need to see the details on how the registers in the LED drivers are programmed (and brush up on my coding !).
I think it would; think about it, with 16.8 million colors the colors have to be updated MUCH faster than 512 (this is why 512 doesn't flicker), so as I said before, the flicker happens a bit with 16.8; with half of this I think it would flicker a very very small amount or maybe even stop the flickering.


  #33  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Inheritance's Avatar
Inheritance Inheritance is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,308
POST ID # = 775121
Inheritance Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonster3 View Post
Honestly I find this absolutely ridiculous... They claim the keyboard can show 16.8 million colors, and it can only display 512. They make us wait 8 weeks after the statement from the CEO (which is long after the initial release of the keyboard) then finally they release the update claiming 16.8 million colors but it turns out it doesn't have the capability to run it.. Absolutely rediculous and I am sure many people will agree with me here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodilX View Post
Well it seems the engineers screwed up big when picking out parts for these keyboards. The competition has had the full color spectrum and fluid animation from the start, yet Corsair still hasn't been able to achieve that :/ Oh well.. At least my light blue doesn't look cyan..
If you think the product isnt what you paid for you may contact Corsair at KBinquiries@corsair.com for a full refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilton View Post
I wonder if reducing the number of colors from 16.8 million to say 8.4 would reduce the flicker? I seriously doubt if anyone could tell the difference. Or even 4.2 million colors. Heck anything past a few thousand is probably overkill. The difference from a practical standpoint is really just a marketing thing. I know I would be willing to take the hit if it made the flicker imperceptible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAU View Post
That's a good question. I imagine most users would be willing to halve the number of colours to remove or reduce the flickering. If reducing colours would help, perhaps Corsair could add 8.4m and 4.2m tick boxes underneath the 16.8m option in CUE?
ITs not possible to just cut the colors in half like that. The idea of less colors has been explored but found to be not viable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
I might be wrong, but my understanding is that to implement 16.8m colours, the firmware had to be changed to allow the entire colour palette to be updated when any LED changes colour. I'm not sure of the specific detail, but even if you reduce the colour range from 24 bits to 16 bits (65,536 colours), the load on the CPU might not reduce enough to eliminate the flicker.
Its the load on the controller chip not the CUP, but i'm sure a tech savvy guy that builds a ton of computers would know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonster3 View Post
Will you guys push out an update to fix the flicker? If so, when.

Also, will this mean no more 16.8 million colors, more like 2.1mil or something?
There are no plans for any more work on the 16.8 mill color issue from the software side.
The internal hardware will have to be redone for v2 to have 16.8 mill colors without flickering. You can contact Corsair at KBinquiries@corsair.com for a refund if you do not like the keyboard.
__________________
Colors of the RAINBOW shine so bright!
USER IS NOT A CORSAIR EMPLOYEE
Come Join My Discord =(^.^)= [iCUE Guide]
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support


  #34  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 AM
goomonster3 goomonster3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 44
POST ID # = 775123
goomonster3 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
There are no plans for any more work on the 16.8 mill color issue from the software side.
The internal hardware will have to be redone for v2 to have 16.8 mill colors without flickering. You can contact Corsair at KBinquiries@corsair.com for a refund if you do not like the keyboard.
Wait so we have to buy a whole new keyboard to get what we thought we were getting originally?

Also, where are you getting this information from? It doesn't say you work for corsair :P

Last edited by goomonster3; 04-25-2015 at 11:49 AM.


  #35  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Inheritance's Avatar
Inheritance Inheritance is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,308
POST ID # = 775130
Inheritance Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomonster3 View Post
Wait so we have to buy a whole new keyboard to get what we thought we were getting originally?

Also, where are you getting this information from? It doesn't say you work for corsair :P
Thats why they are offering a return option, so you can return it and buy v2 if you want to. So you wont be buy a whole new keyboard since you wont have a old keyboard.

I do not work for Corsair but i am in contact with James.
__________________
Colors of the RAINBOW shine so bright!
USER IS NOT A CORSAIR EMPLOYEE
Come Join My Discord =(^.^)= [iCUE Guide]
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support


  #36  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:59 AM
ScarredMecha ScarredMecha is offline
Registered User
ScarredMecha's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,162
POST ID # = 775137
ScarredMecha Reputation: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
This post, from around the time the limited colour range was first discovered, seems to suggest that there is no other method of setting the colour of the LEDs. The colour setting has to be done on the fly.



The flickering I'm seeing is not even 60hz. It seems to be a random flicker several times per second. This suggests that the controller is running flat out, and is running out of CPU cycles to execute the code fast enough, or the timing isn't synchronised properly. It's a bit like playing a videogame with graphics settings set too high for the hardware. There will be random dips below 60hz, depending on the load the system is under, that will cause stuttering or screen tear.
From my understanding, the flickering was a result of the implementation of the 16.8m color mode: They turn all the LEDs off when changing colors in order to ensure the correct LEDs are having their colors changed. They could make the whole process faster to reduce/eliminate the flickering, but it would/could compromise the responsiveness of the keyboard.

Personally, I'd be all for a less responsive keyboard mode just to have pretty lights. Kind of like a mode to show off with. If I'm going to game or something, I could just turn off the mode.
__________________
Click the picture for some nice simple color scheme profiles!



  #37  
Old 04-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Inheritance's Avatar
Inheritance Inheritance is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,308
POST ID # = 775140
Inheritance Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapexx View Post
From my understanding, the flickering was a result of the implementation of the 16.8m color mode: They turn all the LEDs off when changing colors in order to ensure the correct LEDs are having their colors changed. They could make the whole process faster to reduce/eliminate the flickering, but it would/could compromise the responsiveness of the keyboard.

Personally, I'd be all for a less responsive keyboard mode just to have pretty lights. Kind of like a mode to show off with. If I'm going to game or something, I could just turn off the mode.
Yes but the keyboard would still be refreshing at an ungodly rate even with the mode off. You could always turn the 16.8 mill color mode off every time i guess.
__________________
Colors of the RAINBOW shine so bright!
USER IS NOT A CORSAIR EMPLOYEE
Come Join My Discord =(^.^)= [iCUE Guide]
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support


  #38  
Old 04-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Proffo Proffo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 303
POST ID # = 775165
Proffo Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
Its the load on the controller chip not the CUP, but i'm sure a tech savvy guy that builds a ton of computers would know that.
CPU (not CUP) is the controller chip. Same thing, unless you want to be really pedantic.

Currently finishing a PC build, waiting for Windows updates to download/install. Please keep me entertained while I'm waiting.


  #39  
Old 04-26-2015, 06:08 AM
SimpleStreet SimpleStreet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
POST ID # = 775337
SimpleStreet Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
If you think the product isnt what you paid for you may contact Corsair at KBinquiries@corsair.com for a full refund.
So we are still able to get a refund ?


  #40  
Old 04-26-2015, 08:14 AM
terabyte's Avatar
terabyte terabyte is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,360
POST ID # = 775355
terabyte Reputation: 73
Default

Yeah, I believe they are still offering the full refund.


  #41  
Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 AM
SimpleStreet SimpleStreet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
POST ID # = 775365
SimpleStreet Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
Yeah, I believe they are still offering the full refund.
Cool thanks, just send an email.

Cant believe they made people wait so long for 16m colors and it does not even work properly.


  #42  
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 AM
mysticc mysticc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 88
POST ID # = 775577
mysticc Reputation: 10
Default

So you can choose now, - 16,8 m colors in effects with flickering or 512 without flickering.

Only took over half a year to achieve this.

Am I impressed?
Definitely not.

In other words - Corsair totally screwed this.

@zheren159
Please spare your comment......


  #43  
Old 04-27-2015, 12:59 AM
Corsair James's Avatar
Corsair James Corsair James is offline
iCUE Product Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 4,451
POST ID # = 775580
Corsair James Reputation: 75
Default

There isn't a way to pick "X" colors that is > 512 and < 16.8m as the limitation isn't due to any type of issue that can be corrected through software. The hardware in the keyboard isn't designed to work in such a modular fashion.


  #44  
Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 AM
SimpleStreet SimpleStreet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
POST ID # = 775595
SimpleStreet Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
There isn't a way to pick "X" colors that is > 512 and < 16.8m as the limitation isn't due to any type of issue that can be corrected through software. The hardware in the keyboard isn't designed to work in such a modular fashion.
Why did you guys keep misleading people then ?
When you had the beta testers working on this, why not come out and say this is the problem, if anyone is not happy with how the outcome will turn out then ask for a refund, instead you guys made sure to wait until the end and not even tell people about the flickering until people made such a huge thing about it in the forums.


  #45  
Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Inheritance's Avatar
Inheritance Inheritance is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,308
POST ID # = 775742
Inheritance Reputation: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
So you can choose now, - 16,8 m colors in effects with flickering or 512 without flickering.

Only took over half a year to achieve this.

Am I impressed?
Definitely not.

In other words - Corsair totally screwed this.

@zheren159
Please spare your comment......
If you think the product isnt what you paid for you may contact Corsair at KBinquiries@corsair.com for a full refund.
__________________
Colors of the RAINBOW shine so bright!
USER IS NOT A CORSAIR EMPLOYEE
Come Join My Discord =(^.^)= [iCUE Guide]
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support


Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.