The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 06:03 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 774754
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
Thanks for the giving us the choice.

Wouldn't it be better to admit that this product doesn't deliver what was claimed, and work on one that does ?
The keyboard is capable of 16.8 million colors now. It isn't the perfect ideal solution as there is some flicker that occurs for certain types of animation on the keyboard. I won't convince you otherwise either but there is definitely improvement over what existed before.

However, I do want to speak honestly and say that there were ways to reduce the flicker. This would have, however, required us to cut down on the types of light customization you've all enjoyed since day 1 and we felt this would not have been acceptable whatsoever at all. I think for certain profiles like rainbow gradients look much better with all the colors available. Despite some of the side effects of this product, I still believe that in terms of customization, this keyboard delivers an amazing experience that can't be matched by our competitors and we still have more plans to come to go beyond what is offered today. I think as we get closer to releasing what we have planned, the issues with some of the color on this keyboard will be overlooked with the advance features we're going to implement.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Keyboard Kommando
Kommando Kodiak's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774756
Kommando Kodiak Reputation: 10

Quote:
Thanks for the giving us the choice.

Wouldn't it be better to admit that this product doesn't deliver what was claimed, and work on one that does ?
i wonder if any of the people who approved of the 16.8m label also approved the tramp stamp logo XD

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
veetek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774762
veetek Reputation: 10

All went smooth.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:23 PM

POST ID # = 774765
Riekopo Reputation: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
There are going to be some cases where 16.8m color mode isn't optimal for certain lighting profiles due to the byproduct of flicker. This was why the box when checked/unchecked affects the lighting in real time so you all can decide what is best.
Exactly what lighting effects cause the flickering so I can avoid using those?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 PM

POST ID # = 774770
Proffo Reputation: 8

Quote:
The keyboard is capable of 16.8 million colors now. It isn't the perfect ideal solution as there is some flicker that occurs for certain types of animation on the keyboard. I won't convince you otherwise either but there is definitely improvement over what existed before.

However, I do want to speak honestly and say that there were ways to reduce the flicker. This would have, however, required us to cut down on the types of light customization you've all enjoyed since day 1 and we felt this would not have been acceptable whatsoever at all. I think for certain profiles like rainbow gradients look much better with all the colors available. Despite some of the side effects of this product, I still believe that in terms of customization, this keyboard delivers an amazing experience that can't be matched by our competitors and we still have more plans to come to go beyond what is offered today. I think as we get closer to releasing what we have planned, the issues with some of the color on this keyboard will be overlooked with the advance features we're going to implement.
I know I've ruffled a few feathers, but this is the way I see it.

The previous K70 non RGB keyboards were plagued by dead LEDs, caused by static, apparently.

About a year ago I got interested in mechanical keyboards. There's no way I'd have considered spending more than £30 ($45 ?) on a keyboard until I tapped a few keys on a C**l*rM*s*er" mechanical keyboard at a trade show. I was offered a deal on one, but decided to go home and do some research. After reading a few reviews, I was undecided. It seemed to me that the Corsair K70 with brown keys and red LEDs would be the one to go for, but I wanted white LEDs. I might have gone for red LEDs, but I read too many reports of LED failure. Then I read about your RGB keyboards, which not only offered 16.8 million colour animation, but also improved reliability due to surface mounted LEDs. So I waited.

About 6 months later the Kxx RGB keyboards were released, but I waited until stock was available. Would have preferred "the old logo", but decided it wasn't a big deal. Then I read the forum posts about the limited colour range, with a fix being available within a few weeks, so I spent more than I would normally do on a keyboard. Having shelled out the cash, I expected it to do what was claimed. I knew that I'd have to wait for a few weeks for the full colour range, but never thought it would take over 6 months. Earlier this year I contacted the retailer who were still advertising it with 16.8 million colour animation. They offered a full refund (including free collection). I decided to wait and see if the update would deliver the promised 16.8 million colours, which it has, but without the fluid animation. Not only that, I've got a couple of keys that have colour faults. Maybe that's just bad luck, there's always going to be the odd fault here and there.

I honestly want to like this keyboard, but there have been too many issues, and for £140, I just wanted to buy it and enjoy it for 5 - 10 years, not wait 6 months to find that the fix doesn't quite fix it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM
ScarredMecha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774789
ScarredMecha Reputation: 14

Quote:
I know I've ruffled a few feathers, but this is the way I see it.

The previous K70 non RGB keyboards were plagued by dead LEDs, caused by static, apparently.

About a year ago I got interested in mechanical keyboards. There's no way I'd have considered spending more than £30 ($45 ?) on a keyboard until I tapped a few keys on a C**l*rM*s*er" mechanical keyboard at a trade show. I was offered a deal on one, but decided to go home and do some research. After reading a few reviews, I was undecided. It seemed to me that the Corsair K70 with brown keys and red LEDs would be the one to go for, but I wanted white LEDs. I might have gone for red LEDs, but I read too many reports of LED failure. Then I read about your RGB keyboards, which not only offered 16.8 million colour animation, but also improved reliability due to surface mounted LEDs. So I waited.

About 6 months later the Kxx RGB keyboards were released, but I waited until stock was available. Would have preferred "the old logo", but decided it wasn't a big deal. Then I read the forum posts about the limited colour range, with a fix being available within a few weeks, so I spent more than I would normally do on a keyboard. Having shelled out the cash, I expected it to do what was claimed. I knew that I'd have to wait for a few weeks for the full colour range, but never thought it would take over 6 months. Earlier this year I contacted the retailer who were still advertising it with 16.8 million colour animation. They offered a full refund (including free collection). I decided to wait and see if the update would deliver the promised 16.8 million colours, which it has, but without the fluid animation. Not only that, I've got a couple of keys that have colour faults. Maybe that's just bad luck, there's always going to be the odd fault here and there.

I honestly want to like this keyboard, but there have been too many issues, and for £140, I just wanted to buy it and enjoy it for 5 - 10 years, not wait 6 months to find that the fix doesn't quite fix it.
I just wish I could get my hands on a no-compromises RGB mechanical keyboard.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM

POST ID # = 774790
CodilX Reputation: 10

Quote:

Well.. I'm not sure there is much you can do to make most people overlook this. 16.8m colors and fluid transitions were probably the most important things you guys put out there. While you're trying to fix these things, the competition has caught up and they do have both 16.8m AND fluid transitions. Heck even GTA took advantage of one of your competitors RGB keyboard and did crazy stuff with the lightings in game (police lights flashing when the player is wanted etc). So... I'm not sure there is stuff you can do that 1) hasn't been already done and 2) outshines your competitors. I guess LUA scripting is what you're trying to say, but there aren't that many people out there that will take full advantage of it, and even if they do, fluid color animation is a bug issue. I am a programmer myself, and if you release LUA of course I'll tinker around with it, but it already feels like a waste of time.. The whole point of having LUA is to make it do crazy things, have the keyboard come to life by animation is a HUGE part of it. It won't be the same without having fluid animation .. :/ Such a shame. I love this keyboard, but it really seems a shame..

But anyway.. Thanks for the update guys ;) I just hope you guys learn from the mistakes made on this keyboard, and make the v2 much better.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 PM
RangoJackson's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774798
RangoJackson Reputation: 10

What happened to the post of the technical details on why it didn't work? No way it was just my imagination. Someone quoted Corsair James. It was just removed. Grr.

Last edited by RangoJackson; 04-24-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM

POST ID # = 774799
UCLAKoolman Reputation: 10

I do not notice any flicker on the profiles I use. Loving this update.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 774805
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoJackson View Post
What happened to the post of the technical details on why it didn't work? No way it was just my imagination. Someone quoted Corsair James. It was just removed. Grr.
A post was removed as it was a breach of the NDA.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 PM

POST ID # = 774807
LuckyTheCat Reputation: 10

Quote:
There are going to be some cases where 16.8m color mode isn't optimal for certain lighting profiles due to the byproduct of flicker. This was why the box when checked/unchecked affects the lighting in real time so you all can decide what is best.
Shouldn't it be possible to group together keys that are temporarily static to have some sort of false group? This would help with people that have a heatmap profile where many of the groups could be combined until an action is taken place.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 774824
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodilX View Post
Well.. I'm not sure there is much you can do to make most people overlook this. 16.8m colors and fluid transitions were probably the most important things you guys put out there. While you're trying to fix these things, the competition has caught up and they do have both 16.8m AND fluid transitions. Heck even GTA took advantage of one of your competitors RGB keyboard and did crazy stuff with the lightings in game (police lights flashing when the player is wanted etc). So... I'm not sure there is stuff you can do that 1) hasn't been already done and 2) outshines your competitors. I guess LUA scripting is what you're trying to say, but there aren't that many people out there that will take full advantage of it, and even if they do, fluid color animation is a bug issue. I am a programmer myself, and if you release LUA of course I'll tinker around with it, but it already feels like a waste of time.. The whole point of having LUA is to make it do crazy things, have the keyboard come to life by animation is a HUGE part of it. It won't be the same without having fluid animation .. :/ Such a shame. I love this keyboard, but it really seems a shame..

But anyway.. Thanks for the update guys ;) I just hope you guys learn from the mistakes made on this keyboard, and make the v2 much better.
Game anchors are typically universal as long as the developer inputs it into the game for third party software to grab onto. We have some bigger plans regarding lighting than this which is was why Lua for the time being is pushed back.

As for the lessons learned, no one knows better than me. Part of the reason why this sub-forum was created is to better collect the feedback users like yourself are providing so we can gauge what matters and what doesn't as well as be proactive about resolving the bugs and errors we couldn't duplicate in the lab during testing.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM

POST ID # = 774852
Iceycold Reputation: 10

@Corsair James

So a completely smooth gradient animation like say the one on the Blackwidow Chroma won't be possible to due to hardware constraints correct?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 PM
stevvie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774853
stevvie Reputation: 10

Quote:
Game anchors are typically universal as long as the developer inputs it into the game for third party software to grab onto. We have some bigger plans regarding lighting than this which is was why Lua for the time being is pushed back.

As for the lessons learned, no one knows better than me. Part of the reason why this sub-forum was created is to better collect the feedback users like yourself are providing so we can gauge what matters and what doesn't as well as be proactive about resolving the bugs and errors we couldn't duplicate in the lab during testing.
OOPS, looks like the feedback is too late for this keyboard as it seems to have been made to weak and slightly out of USB spec( hence the locking up/disappearing/not being recognized on some PC's) seems these RGB are in fact now showing that they are in fact hardware limited, as the software adds some more problems with flickering/stuttering. We can Only hope that there is a V2 hardware and we are offered an upgrade for a MINIMAL fee for being the beta testers.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 774864
Paul S Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyPwnage View Post
Same here: K70 RGB (FW 1.20 and CUE 1.5.108)

I am now able to spam caps scoll and num lock without the keyboard completely locking up :) Even Steam appears to be functioning correctly with CUE now!!!

While you can see the steps when the full rainbow effect is enabled, it is both smoother and less noticeable than it was previously (I have the 16.8 million color option enabled in the settings tab).

One bug I did find was: When enabling the type lighting by key and setting it to a random color, the whole keyboard does flicker slightly when a group of keys are pressed. (confirmed it was the 16.8 million color setting that is causing the flickering)
yes! im getting the flicker too