The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
WAPC's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430562
WAPC Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
This has been posted many times with using 4 modules and we can only guarantee 4 up when they are purchased in a set of 4 at the rated speeds.
Corsair may only guarantee because they've seen troubles, I understand that being a manufacturer that you would be going on a huge limb stating that 4 modules will work (if they're not tested together) as it all depends on the end users system specs. If you guarantee it, then you may end up opening the flood gates, so yeah.... I understand why that is said. On the otherside when a motherboard manufacturer states that the board is capable of running 4 modules then the consumer has peace of mind that it will work. This week ASUS confirmed the QVL running 4 modules but ran 4 modules @ 1066MHz at 1.8V compared to 2.1V - maybe the 2.1 voltage could be giving off some sort of wave fluctuation which causes it to run faster than what the board can handle. However, I'm not an electronic engineer to test that random theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
And WAPC just for example with your MB and CPU you have listed DDR2-667 would be suggested when all four slots are filled.
If that's the case, then buying 2 kits of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF would've been a waste of money (for me) on the grounds that DDR2-800 runs faster than DDR2-667 and if I ran just the 2 modules (4GB in total) I probably wouldn't have an issue but because I'm going to run with 8GB. I ended up returning the 8500C5DF to the distribute who has since returned it to Corsair for analysis (the RA guy didn't test) and am waiting on the arrival of the Quad Q2X6400C4DHX as its an 8GB tested kit at 800MHz and as you've said above, its a quad kit tested and is guarnteed to work.