The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 337435
TomGu Reputation: 10
Default 4GB on Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

Friend recently assembled a system based on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.0), Intel E8400, Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory, running XP Pro, and is pleased with the build.

I am starting to build a similar system but would like to use 4GB of ram.

Am considering the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 rev. 2.1, which seems to be the successor to the GA-P35-DS4, a Xeon 3110 since E8400's are presently "out of stock", and 4GB of Corsair ram.

Reading the forum posts, it seems there is a need to use a slower bios speed setting for the ram if populating all four slots.

The need for the a slower bios speed setting for the ram goes away if only two slots are populated ... am I getting this right?

If yes, it seems a 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX ram would be a good choice.

Since the board supports 1066 ram, would there be a significant advantage to using TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 337439
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
I am starting to build a similar system but would like to use 4GB of ram.
Am considering the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 rev. 2.1, which seems to be the successor to the GA-P35-DS4, a Xeon 3110 since E8400's are presently "out of stock", and 4GB of Corsair ram.
Reading the forum posts, it seems there is a need to use a slower bios speed setting for the ram if populating all four slots.
Quote:
The need for the a slower bios speed setting for the ram goes away if only two slots are populated ... am I getting this right? If yes, it seems a 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX ram would be a good choice.
Quote:
Since the board supports 1066 ram, would there be a significant advantage to using TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF?
Yes yes and yes if you are planing to over clock your system, I would suggest using Twin2x4096-8500C5DF!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 340105

TWIN2x4096-8500C5DF seems like a good recommendation as the idea of the E8400 at 4GB is appealing.

Ordered all parts for the build yesterday (except the memory due to it being out of stock at Newegg, ZZF, and other online vendors).

Would like to assemble / test the system while waiting on the TWIN2x4096-8500C5DF to become available.

Trying to keep price of "temporary ram" down so am considering a stick of PC25300 or PC25400, instead of PC26400.

Would PC25300 or PC25400 work to boot / test the system?

Secondly, a thread on another newsgroup raises an issue about continuous reboots with the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 and ram "with speeds above 800" (the ram brand mentioned is NOT Corsair).

Is there an issue with Corsair ram "with speeds above 800" and the GA-EP35-DS4?

If yes, I can forgo the 8500C5DF and opt for 6400c4DHX.

Thank you.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 340108
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGu View Post
Trying to keep price of "temporary ram" down so am considering a stick of PC25300 or PC25400, instead of PC26400.

Would PC25300 or PC25400 work to boot / test the system?
Your 8400 has a FSB of 333 so you will be fine (no overclocking) testing with 667Mhz DRAM. 333Mhz (QDR) = 1333 and 667Mhz (DDR) = 1333Mhz and allows you the 1:1 ratio for testing purposes.

Quote:
Secondly, a thread on another newsgroup raises an issue about continuous reboots with the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 and ram "with speeds above 800" (the ram brand mentioned is NOT Corsair).
Do you have a link to that newsgroup?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 340121

Derek -
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...ds-boot-cycles

Would appreciate your "take" on the rebooting issue as I have found a "new" rebate on both the 6400 and the 8500 and am ready to buy pending resolution of the "higher than 800 speed causing reboots" question.

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 340166

I would personally move to a different board, but you certainly can move to different DRAM to fix the issue. The issue remains though. There are many people with higher end DRAM issues and that board.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343521

Derek -
Thank you for the helpful response.
Got CPU-Z, OCCT, Real Temp, & MemTest.
Under MIB Intelligent Tweaker, I find all parameters as described except "Hi Speed DRAM DLL Settings = Option 2" which does not appear on the BIOS screen or in our motherboard manual. Is this something critical?
Unfortunately, the RAID controllers (Intel & Gigabyte - I'm using both) on the GA-EP35-DS4 (I have the latest bios loaded) have issues with MemTest.
See http://forum.x86-secret.com/showthread.php?t=7882
I can disable both raid controllers in the BIOS but am concerned with "degrading" the current RAID arrays as mentioned in the referenced thread. FYI, the memtest CD that I burned is in another system presently working fine so I have confirmed the burn of the MemTst ISO image is valid. Appreciate your assistance.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343637

Shut the system down and remove the SATA power to all your hard drives and leave the optical drive connected. This will disable RAID on both controllers, yet not degrade the arrays since they are not there and since no changes to your BIOS are needed. Boot to the Memtest CD. Do not worry about the settings you can not find. Different BIOS revisions can change settings somewhat and some are also generic. If they are not on your board BIOS characteristics, then just ignore them.

Quote:
Derek -
Thank you for the helpful response.
Got CPU-Z, OCCT, Real Temp, & MemTest.
Under MIB Intelligent Tweaker, I find all parameters as described except "Hi Speed DRAM DLL Settings = Option 2" which does not appear on the BIOS screen or in our motherboard manual. Is this something critical?
Unfortunately, the RAID controllers (Intel & Gigabyte - I'm using both) on the GA-EP35-DS4 (I have the latest bios loaded) have issues with MemTest.
See http://forum.x86-secret.com/showthread.php?t=7882
I can disable both raid controllers in the BIOS but am concerned with "degrading" the current RAID arrays as mentioned in the referenced thread. FYI, the memtest CD that I burned is in another system presently working fine so I have confirmed the burn of the MemTst ISO image is valid. Appreciate your assistance.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:18 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343722

Attached are CPU-z screenshots (and RealTemp screenshot just after installing Real Temp - have not yet run OCCT).
Why is the ram voltage shown at 1.8 on the CPU-z memory tab screen when we applied an additional .3V in the bios to bring the ram up to 2.1V?
No joy on MemTest after disconnecting power to hard disks.
Raid drivers still attempt to load before CD access then system hangs with the message "loading ..." as described in the thread referenced in my last post.
The option to disable the raid controllers in the bios and degrade the arrays is unappealing unless we are stalled in the effort to reach 4GHz without feedback from MemTest.
Why the increase to the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control (Southbridge?) by +01?
Just trying to understand the thought process.
Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpu_memory.jpg (112.9 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg spd_realtemp.jpg (93.7 KB, 339 views)

Old 04-19-2008, 11:26 AM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343735

First screen shot is OCCT about halfway complete. The second is following completion when temps had returned to "normal". Glad to get the "stable" message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg occtinprogress.jpg (132.8 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg occtcomplete.jpg (138.3 KB, 310 views)

Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343757

Very nice temps. The DRAM voltage is being shown as 1.8 in the SPD tab. That does not show the current voltage, just the JEDEC standard for 800Mhz 5-5-5-18 2T. This DRAM is capable of more than JEDEC and as such needs more advanced timings, speed and voltage.

You can't test your memory so what ever you choose to do will be hampered by this. You can test the DRAM at 1066Mhz in another system to be certain that it runs clean though. That's an alternative that might be more appealing to you. By the way, I disconnect RAID control often when I want to test my hard drives. Never an error.

That's pretty dense DRAM (2048 modules) and a high overclock of the FSB. It's not a bad idea to give the MCH/Northbridge (Memory Controller Hub) a bit of juice greater than stock. Also keep in mind, that when you set to +.1v you also remove "Auto" which is an indiscriminate setting based on an algorithm and activated via DAC. This will keep your MCH at a single value which is better when overclocking highly.

Quote:
Attached are CPU-z screenshots (and RealTemp screenshot just after installing Real Temp - have not yet run OCCT).
Why is the ram voltage shown at 1.8 on the CPU-z memory tab screen when we applied an additional .3V in the bios to bring the ram up to 2.1V?
No joy on MemTest after disconnecting power to hard disks.
Raid drivers still attempt to load before CD access then system hangs with the message "loading ..." as described in the thread referenced in my last post.
The option to disable the raid controllers in the bios and degrade the arrays is unappealing unless we are stalled in the effort to reach 4GHz without feedback from MemTest.
Why the increase to the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control (Southbridge?) by +01?
Just trying to understand the thought process.
Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 PM
TomGu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 343786

Right, Northbridge on the +.1v, not Southbridge.
So, I am now at the point that could have avoided by purchasing the 1066 mhz ram but did not do so because of the reports of issues between the EP35-DS4 and 1066 mhz ram.
Increasing the CPU Host Frequency to 445 and the System Memory Multiplier to 2.4 simply forces the 800mhz ram to run at 1066 mhz,no?
Won't the same issues appear with 800 mhz ram overclocked to 1066 mhz that other users reported with "true" 1066 mhz ram in the EP35-DS4?
I guess my question is "have I reached the overclocking limits of the hardware I assembled?"
Seems so.
Again, words of thanks for your interest.